Author Topic: Tromboncino Summer Squash for Florida  (Read 790 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Tromboncino Summer Squash for Florida
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:38:15 PM »
I have grown summer squash (Curcubita pepo) here in Florida for a number if years. This species includes acorn, spaghetti, yellow crookneck, and zucchini squashes. They are susceptible to mildew and bugs. This year, I tried growing Tromboncino squash instead. This is an Italian heirloom summer squash in the Curcubita moschata species. Moschata squashes are resistant to bugs like squash vine borer (note: resistant--not immune). Some moschata squashes like Seminole Pumpkin are also resistant to mildew. They also make massive vines instead of a bush like the pepo squashes. I am very pleased to report that the Tromboncino was a huge success. I planted around Valentine's day and the vines are still going strong at the beginning of June with only about 10% of the pest and disease issues I had with the pepo squashes. The flavor is fine textured and excellent--like a good zucchini. I have been giving squashes away for weeks and have a dozen in the fridge now. All of this is from 4 hills with about 5 seeds each! The only down side is that they have taken up about a 30 x 12 space in my garden and are still growing. I have let a few fruits mature and they are like a massive butternut squash with a super long neck (or a Tahetian Melon squash if you are familiar with that). I can't comment on the flavor of the mature squash yet, but I hear they are like a butternut. They appear to have slightly less resistance to mildew than the Seminole, but still very good.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Re: Tromboncino Summer Squash for Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 10:48:01 PM »
Great to know! I will give it a try too
Thank you for sharing!
Ana
Ana

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 11:12:06 PM »
I just picked what is likely my last Trombonchino squash last week. That means that the Trombonchino produced squash for 2 whole months longer than the summer squashes that I grew in the past. Looks like the heat and bugs finally got to it. I am still picking Seminole Pumpkins, though.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 09:25:06 PM »
Definitely a good one to grow for both summer and winter squash. I've pretty much given up on growing any squash outside the moschata species because of vine borers

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 09:28:21 PM »
Definitely a good one to grow for both summer and winter squash. I've pretty much given up on growing any squash outside the moschata species because of vine borers

Wow, I didn't realize they were that bad in New Jersey. I always figured it was mostly a deep south issue.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »

Wow, I didn't realize they were that bad in New Jersey. I always figured it was mostly a deep south issue.

Oh yea we get them big time. Ive had massive kabocha squash plants thriving and then be completely decimated the next day. The pest pressure is pretty heavy come mid to late summer over here. Vine borers, white fly, aphid, squash bug, cabbage moth and now latern fly. Doing a little experiment right now growing Marina Di Chioggia (cucurbita maxima) in my greenhouse to see if the vine borer moth doesn't find them. Black futsu and musquee de maroc are some other good varieties to grow for winter squash
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 11:01:16 PM by Nick C »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »
Interesting, I had not heard of those before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk