Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Pawpaw nutrient deficiency help, please!

<< < (2/6) > >>

Triloba Tracker:
You know, you're right....in a lot of ways the deficiency signs are in line with Magnesium.

And on that topic, Spectrum Analytic states this:
"Cation competition: Soil with high levels of K or Ca will typically provide less Mg to the crop"

Which seems to line up in terms of my Calcium levels.

Ironically it mentions Mg is more available at relative higher pH levels. This point may have something to do with it - a couple of the trees showing the most yellowing are ones where I applied a bit more sulfur than others in the fall.
Also some seedlings i planted this spring, i included a fair amount of sulfur as i backfilled the holes. Those seedlings are showing yellowing of the lowest/oldest leaves.

Gee whiz this stuff seems so complicated! :o

Thank you again Har and everyone for your continued (hopefully) help!

Guanabanus:
Is the Iron really just "1"?  It should be in a similar amount as Manganese.

Until a US lab has a database for Pawpaw, I suggest that you study Australian and New Zealander recommendations for growing Atemoyas, which they call "custard-apples."  They have very extensive and professional literature, specific to this important industry there.

Doing both leaf analysis and soil analysis at the same time, is best.

Triloba Tracker:
Thanks!
Yes the iron really is listed as 1. On earlier tests itís actually 0.
I have tinkered with iron chelate foliar and soil drench in the past with no change in the foliage.

I do have a PDF about annona nutrient deficiencies but I find the pictures hard to see and not very helpful. But I will keep looking.

I do plan to get a tissue analysis very soon.

Triloba Tracker:
I sent some material off today to the Penn State lab. Canít wait to see the results.

In the meantime this morning I tested foliar spray of Epsom salts I bone tree, and potassium sulfate on another. I mixed both at a rate of 2 TB per gallon.

By this evening there was no sign of leaf burn but also no sign of improvement either.

This leads me to wonder a few things:
Is it too late in the season for these to do any good anyway?
How long does it take for foliar feedings to show perceptible efficacy?

Guanabanus:
Old leaves, that already show severe deficiency, are unlikely to be corrected by any treatment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version