Author Topic: Passiflora incarnata  (Read 5482 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Passiflora incarnata
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »
Hi, this just bloomed today , I pollinated it with its own pollen but read on the net that it is self sterile . Is this the case ??

~Telephone denies to upload the pics ~
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:16:27 AM by Plantinyum »

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora incarnata
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »
It depends, some maypops can be self fertile. I have a single vine that produces fruit, but it has to get huge. You need about 60-90 days for fruit to ripen. Mine ripen around 70-75 days. Huge bumble bees do the pollinating for me.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:41:51 PM by vnomonee »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
It depends, some maypops can be self fertile. I have a single vine that produces fruit, but it has to get huge. You need about 60-90 days for fruit to ripen. Mine ripen around 70-75 days. Huge bumble bees do the pollinating for me.

Thanks, I was also wondering if it ever sets should I let it hold the fruit, since its too late in the season already . I wont pollinate any of the upcoming flowers and will just let it make its flower show this season, its a small plant at this point/ two stems that are around one meter heigh....

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
It most likely will not become a fruit so up to you if you want to remove the spent bloom, but you probably want the plant to focus on growing roots in the ground so that it can come back next season. I have had atleast a hundred blooms on my vine already but only around 8-10 fruit that I can see. Even hand pollinating does not ensure fruit, unlike my Edulis which every flower I hand pollinate becomes a fruit. I planted a different incarnata next to it so next year it will hopefully cross pollinate for much better fruit yield. In my zone everything above the ground will die starting in late October/early November which is when I cut the vine down and clean up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:16:31 PM by vnomonee »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »
I have never had a problems with my Passiflora incarnata fruiting, and I only have one large, rambling vine. That being said, its first year, it produced very few flowers and very little fruit. You will probably get more fruit as your vine grows older and becomes more established.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »
Found some more info on a different forum, this definitely applies to incarnata flowers (look at your flowers you will notice differences with the anthers and stigmas) not all flowers will be receptive and some only act as a male.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 10:19:35 AM »
It most likely will not become a fruit so up to you if you want to remove the spent bloom, but you probably want the plant to focus on growing roots in the ground so that it can come back next season. I have had atleast a hundred blooms on my vine already but only around 8-10 fruit that I can see. Even hand pollinating does not ensure fruit, unlike my Edulis which every flower I hand pollinate becomes a fruit. I planted a different incarnata next to it so next year it will hopefully cross pollinate for much better fruit yield. In my zone everything above the ground will die starting in late October/early November which is when I cut the vine down and clean up.
thanks for the information, my vine is still potted thought, I bought it in winter and this is its first summer. When I bought it it was sharing a pot with several careuleas, the  incarnata one was only roots back then, no aboveground parts...whatever i'm glad it took since I was surching for this plant for quite some time...
Now its still potted since my plan it to be overwintering the original plant in my basement where the chance of freeze ingury is zero, when it get bigger I will root some cuttings and those will be planted in the garden .
Thats an interesting article about the flower parts , whats more interesting to me about it is that my purple edulis ,when it was blooming ,every flower was going trought theese tree stages. The upright stigmas when it opened in the morn, then they leveled with the male pollen parts, then just dessicate the next day.
I also pollinated every flower on my edulis that I could, the result ,almost all of them set fruit, i'm quessing arround 100 fruits on my plant right now.

I have never had a problems with my Passiflora incarnata fruiting, and I only have one large, rambling vine. That being said, its first year, it produced very few flowers and very little fruit. You will probably get more fruit as your vine grows older and becomes more established.

I am deff hoping for a bounty of fruits in the next years ,when the plant gets bigger and stronger...

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
My understanding has always been that incarnata is not self pollinating. At least not if you want viable fruit and seeds (as opposed to empty fruit).

Obviously if there are wild Passiflora in one’s vicinity, the bees will likely have no problem cross pollinating.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
That's what I've seen online, but I think it's variable because I've read other articles where it's said to be self fertile. I live in an urban area in northern NJ and it's unlikely anyone has another incarnata near me and my fruit aren't empty but if I would compare it to an edulis or another commercial type of fruit it's not as full probably less than half the amount of seed and pulp (maybe with cross pollination it would be more full?) I'll take pictures this year of the inside.

Here is a self pollinated one that was ripe from last year, it fell off the vine by itself. Notice slight yellow color. After a day on the kitchen counter the shell became wrinkly. The outside of the fruit smelled like apricot or peach. I didn't think to get a picture of the inside flesh but the pulp was juicy and not as tart as an edulis, flavor was pleasant

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »
I am also 99,99% sure there ISN't another incarnata near me, actually any other passion vine species, excluding my own that is. We dont have them here in the wild, I may plant some of the future plants I succeed to make via cuttings.
Would like to have a place in nature where I can go and harvest them, without caring for them haha 😂

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
This is mostly a single plant that's put out some suckers. The other incarnata is to the right in the first picture, just noticed some flower buds on that one but too late to for any fruit that may form to ripen. Lots of flower buds on the main vine still forming, you can see some fruit poking through the leaves.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »
Very nice looking vines!
Mine suffer from magnesium deficiency I believe, so by this time of year they look pretty rough. Fruit is still good though.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »
The first fruit fell today. Took a hard fall onto concrete so the shell cracked open, taste was good but could have ripened some more (pulp is a bit darker when fully ripe and the shell wrinkly and more yellow). Very full this time around:

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 02:42:04 PM »
The first fruit fell today. Took a hard fall onto concrete so the shell cracked open, taste was good but could have ripened some more (pulp is a bit darker when fully ripe and the shell wrinkly and more yellow). Very full this time around:

Lol it looks like a perfect sphere, the inside reminds me of unripened edulis .
Mine is flowering now, i am not pollinating it, it does not seem to set on its own yet its verry small plant still. One interesting feature abbout the flowers is the smell, to me they smell like bee pollen, if anyone has ever eten bee pollen, the smell is very simillar as far as i can tell.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
yes! bee pollen and "old lady perfume" lol it also has a crushed leaf scent to it. edulis flowers by comparison smell sweet like a candy

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 09:11:33 PM »
I need to smell bee pollen.
To me it smells like American sweetened breakfast cereal called Frosted Flakes (corn flakes with sweet coating).
Similarly someone who visited me and smelled for the first time said “popcorn.”
I don’t think it smells like old lady perfume at all LOL To me that would mean soapy or rose/gardenia which is not at all like incarnata.
Of course arguing about something subjective like this is pointless  ::) ::)

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
Heres my plant, its flowering like mad even thought its two vines around 150cm high. One of the spent flowers seems to have a bigger and more green ovary compared to the others, so i think this one may have set .... this is on the third pic.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:40:24 PM by Plantinyum »

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
You will know very quickly if it has set, and to me it looks like it has! I noticed that your vine also produces fuzzy ovaries, my other genetically distinct incarnata vine has ovaries that are smooth:

original vine with fuzzy ovaries:

new vine: smooth ovary (before pollinated, and after)

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 01:25:50 AM »
You will know very quickly if it has set, and to me it looks like it has! I noticed that your vine also produces fuzzy ovaries, my other genetically distinct incarnata vine has ovaries that are smooth:

original vine with fuzzy ovaries:

yeah they are quite fuzzy, i'm now hoping that its at least partially self fertile, its quite a proliffic bloomer ...

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »
my other genetically distinct incarnata vine has ovaries that are smooth

Hmm! That’s an interesting observation - well done.
I don’t recall ever seeing that on the many seedling vines I have, so now I will have to look out for it.
Assuming it’s smooth on every flower?

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 08:43:25 PM »
Yes! A few more flowers that are open on the new vine have smooth ovaries. This will make it easier for me to distinguish between the two while hand pollinating next year. Hoping to have a lot more fruit set 🙂

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 08:54:46 PM »
Yes! A few more flowers that are open on the new vine have smooth ovaries. This will make it easier for me to distinguish between the two while hand pollinating next year. Hoping to have a lot more fruit set 🙂
Awesome!
So have you had mature fruits from this smooth vine yet? It will be interesting to see if they are unique in any other ways.
Sometimes small differences like this can portend larger ones - once I started several seeds and one came up with pure green stem while all the others had some redness. The green one turned out to be a white-flowered vine.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 11:57:27 PM »
None that I can see. It's too late for any to mature if I hand pollinate now. But I will definitely need to keep the older vine pruned next year  so it doesn't take over the entire fence leaving some room for this one.

I grew this edulis from seed which has very pronounced red pigment in the leaves and stems compared to another edulis I have with only green in the leaves

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:59:30 PM by vnomonee »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »
Awesome!
So have you had mature fruits from this smooth vine yet? It will be interesting to see if they are unique in any other ways.
Sometimes small differences like this can portend larger ones - once I started several seeds and one came up with pure green stem while all the others had some redness. The green one turned out to be a white-flowered vine.
Very interesting about the white flowering incarnata, any pics of the flowers ??

None that I can see. It's too late for any to mature if I hand pollinate now. But I will definitely need to keep the older vine pruned next year  so it doesn't take over the entire fence leaving some room for this one.

I grew this edulis from seed which has very pronounced red pigment in the leaves and stems compared to another edulis I have with only green in the leaves

the edulis reminds me of my flavicarpas, which generally have reddish stemms and main veins on the leaves. Thought your vine has way more pronounced colour then mine have ever had 

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Back on the incarnata, i am wondering if when a solo plant sets fruit , are the seeds viable?? Wondering  if mine sets a fruit or two next season and i grow out the seedlings to cross with one another and the mother plant, will this take me out of the pollination issue ??