Author Topic: Fruit ripening and blooming schedules for tropicals in the northern climates  (Read 742 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Can anyone provide a guide for the ripening and blooming times for different tropical fruits that are grown in northern countries like here in Bulgaria? Interested in species like guava , cherimoya ,avocado ,coffee, dragonfruit and others you have information on.
Is there a relation with the earths  paralell lines, can u tell by your geographic coordinate that a sertain species will fruit or bloom at a sertain time, given that most of their growing conditions are met...
I'd imagine latitude will also be a factor ...
I am talking mostly about greenhouse growing, but if there is a difference between a gh inground plant and a potted one that gets brought inside for winter, please point it out !

Thanks for any input !!!

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
I would also be interested in knowing the various altitudes and climates people are growing and fruiting tropical fruit trees at...
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Interesting question -
For mangoes and lychee, they normally flower when the weather warms up (March), but it varies by the year. Couple years ago I had my mango flower in may and February. Most of my trees that bloom do so when there is a change in the weather or during the summer.
I think I'm about 1-3 months behind the people in FL regarding when fruit ripens.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
I shall add that lemon and strawberry guava ripened for me this year around october. Didnt sighn the dates when they flowered thought but will start traching all of them from now on.
Some tropical guava similar to apple tipe guava with big fruit is just starting to ripen its fruit now,  yesterday i sensed a slight aroma near the tip of one of the fruits. Now the plant is a seedling and is fruiting for the first time ,so i know as aging goes it should set its flowering pattern and i will track this.
So i was also wondering as most tropicals i have read on about , here and on other places ,they may have off season flowers ,thus fruit.
My red strawberry and lemon guavas have a bit of flower buds right now that came with the new growth they are having almost all winter, its kinda week and nothing like the summers fast growth. I'd assume ones spring is here they will explode with new growth and the main crop shoulb be on that one.
I'm 830 meters above sea level , probably in zone 6b maybe 7  ,dunno my paralel exact place thought haha 😄
As i am thinking more about my question ,all this may be worth just as a slightly helpfull guide about the plants behaviour, there are too many variables weatherwise and whatnot....

Just was looking at my older posts and i found i posted pics of the guava thats is starting to ripen , it had almond sized fruit set on sep 3, so it may have bloomed around start of august. That means around 4 and a half months for fruit maturity, is that too long in generall ??
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:35:46 AM by Plantinyum »

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Dragon fruit usually start blooming in June for me and ripening 45-50 days later. Guavas have been blooming in July. Avocado and citrus start flowering around Feb/March. Cherimoya and atemoya start early spring but you can induce earlier flowering by defoliating the tree. Ive also found that white sapote flowers year round.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
Dragon fruit usually start blooming in June for me and ripening 45-50 days later. Guavas have been blooming in July. Avocado and citrus start flowering around Feb/March. Cherimoya and atemoya start early spring but you can induce earlier flowering by defoliating the tree. Ive also found that white sapote flowers year round.
Thank you ! Seems like guavas for me and you flower at near the same time, our zones are the same also thought judjing by the maps i have looked at lately i may be a bit colder at a zone 6, My dragonfruits havent flowered yet, hopefully this spring i can get some action on them.
For my cherimoyas i thought i will wait till the start of march when the temps for new growth will be a lot more favorable, thought they do grow now also from some of the leaf free nodes. I will prune them and strip some of the leaves and hope for a nice flowering on both of them. One of them has two flower buds forming right now.

Interesting question -
For mangoes and lychee, they normally flower when the weather warms up (March), but it varies by the year. Couple years ago I had my mango flower in may and February. Most of my trees that bloom do so when there is a change in the weather or during the summer.
I think I'm about 1-3 months behind the people in FL regarding when fruit ripens.
I also have a mango and a lychee, longan, jackfruit and others all in the gh, but they are seedlings and a long  way till flowering. I may buy a  grafted mango if the seedling one survives winter.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:39:26 AM by Plantinyum »