Author Topic: Saving my rat damaged opuntia / advice needed  (Read 521 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Saving my rat damaged opuntia / advice needed
« on: January 20, 2022, 04:45:08 PM »
Hi, the rats damaged my opuntia a few months ago and today i saw that the damaged places are partly rotted and jenerally very squishy and soft. I already cleaned the spots and detached the top part of the plant and will let the wound heal a bit before i replant it. BUT i do not know if the whole pars as it is will be able ro root or i may be better off to cut it into smaller peaces and work with those. I would like to root the whole section if possible...

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Saving my rat damaged opuntia / advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 04:55:30 PM »
if trying to save it- cut out the affected area, then you can apply cinnamon or dusting sulfur to the freshly cut portions to help them heal properly-

If you want to hack it down- propagation by pads is incredibly easy

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
Cut the rot out, the pad left in the pot will send out new pads. The other big tree like pads let the base dry where you cut it for a week or two. Apply rooting powder. Then place the whole tree in a new pot, stake it up. No need to water it will eventually send new roots from the healthy callused part.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »
I'd do it quickly before the rot spreads, but I think you can save the whole tree. Otherwise I agree with the above the smaller pads are easy enough to root

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 02:23:23 AM »
Thank u both for the sugestions, i cut out the rotted portions to live hard tissue , the base i left in the pot , the top part i left to heal in an upright position with a tissue underneath, i only need to dust it with some cinamon now and will leave it for a week.
I brought the plant inside, it was in a cool basement and the cold probably triggered the rotting responce to the wound.
Firts i will try with to root the whole top thing, if it starts to rot again i will twist the pads and root those.
Cheers and tanks for the fast responses once again !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk