Author Topic: Guava tree sending runners.  (Read 801 times)

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
Guava tree sending runners.
« on: July 19, 2022, 10:07:10 PM »
Hello everyone. My red malaysian guava tree is 5 years old I believe and is in a pot. It has been flowering for 2 years on runners that were not the original plant. I have been trying to cut back the runners every time they show up but I am wondering if I should just let it grow into a bush. It is a cutting now grafted so the runners are the same genetically.

thank you all.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Guava tree sending runners.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 10:27:43 PM »
Separate them and give them to your friends, or sell 'em :)

FT.Dorking

• Palm Harbor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 10:35:32 PM »
Let me get a runner! 😅

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
They are all growing off the base of the two other stems, so I don’t think I could separate them :(

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 12:03:06 PM »
When I need to deal with suckers on anything, I used Sucker Stopper.  I buy from amazon.
Maybe I will get the raspberries for doing this, but I Don't like suckers or the way they make
a tree look.
Most suckers are the rootstock.
This way I don't have to keep cutting them off.
Carol

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 06:48:11 AM »
I also get suckers on my two potted guavas, regular ones. Seems like the pot constraints make them sucker, since i have 4 more in my gh directly in the ground and they do not have any suckers.
Several of the suckers i have are ones that arrised from the uncovered parts of the roots, i should really transplant them soon....

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 09:43:59 PM »
I also get suckers on my two potted guavas, regular ones. Seems like the pot constraints make them sucker, since i have 4 more in my gh directly in the ground and they do not have any suckers.
Several of the suckers i have are ones that arrised from the uncovered parts of the roots, i should really transplant them soon....

do you think that I should remove them? I am thinking because my guava tree is so tall and the root system seems fairly weak that these runners could help strengthen the plant.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 07:32:37 AM »

do you think that I should remove them? I am thinking because my guava tree is so tall and the root system seems fairly weak that these runners could help strengthen the plant.
the runners i think do not strenghten the original plant, they are ment to be different plants so the way i see it they produce energy for themselves. To make the original more bushy and stout  u should prune harder and not let the branches just grow straight. The way i do it is i just pinch the new growth after it makes 3-4 new sets of leaves. That way u get a plant thats shorter and more branched .