Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Lardizabalaceae

(1/6) > >>

stuartdaly88:
I think a few species are edible in this family and three genuses in particular have interesting plants:

Boquila trifoliolata-chameleon vine
Monotypic genus
This plant is for me a holy grail, it has a unique ability to mimic the leaves of the plant it is growing on even to the extent of having completely different leaves on the same plant if it grows over two different trees.
"Boquila’s leaves are extraordinarily diverse. The biggest ones can be 10 times bigger than the smallest, and they can vary from very light to very dark. In around three-quarters of cases, they’re similar to the closest leaf from another tree, matching it in size, area, length of stalk, angle, and color. Boquila’s leaves can even grow a spiny tip when, and only when, it climbs onto a shrub with spine-tipped leaves."
Edible berries apparently appreciated in Chile to boot!

Akebia
Five species in this genus
Taste reports for some species has not been bad at all interesting looking fruit and pretty chocolate coloured flowers giving the name chocolate vine:)

And lastly this families namesake
Lardizabala biternata
Also a Monotypic genus
Also a vine and considered a delicacy in Chile and sold in some markets. Calledcoguil or cógüil in Mapuche language. 7-8cm long purple sausage shaped fruits sweet and pulpy. Beautiful flower!

starling1:

--- Quote from: stuartdaly88 on May 08, 2015, 04:22:24 PM ---I think a few species are edible in this family and three genuses in particular have interesting plants:

Monotypic genus
This plant is for me a holy grail, it has a unique ability to mimic the leaves of the plant it is growing on even to the extent of having completely different leaves on the same plant if it grows over two different trees.
"Boquila’s leaves are extraordinarily diverse. The biggest ones can be 10 times bigger than the smallest, and they can vary from very light to very dark. In around three-quarters of cases, they’re similar to the closest leaf from another tree, matching it in size, area, length of stalk, angle, and color. Boquila’s leaves can even grow a spiny tip when, and only when, it climbs onto a shrub with spine-tipped leaves."

Akebia
Taste reports for some species has not been bad at all interesting looking fruit and pretty chocolate coloured flowers giving the name chocolate vine:)

Lardizabala biternata
Also a Monotypic genus
Also a vine and considered a delicacy in Chile and sold in some markets. Calledcoguil or cógüil in Mapuche language. 7-8cm long purple sausage shaped fruits sweet and pulpy. Beautiful flower!

--- End quote ---

Ok, so I haven't personally tried the fruit, but having talked to a couple of people who have, they assure me that it is pretty awful and not something worth growing. From memory both of them had assumed they'd taste like Asimina, but apparently they are nothing like this whatsoever.

stuartdaly88:

--- Quote from: starling1 on May 08, 2015, 09:00:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: stuartdaly88 on May 08, 2015, 04:22:24 PM ---I think a few species are edible in this family and three genuses in particular have interesting plants:

Monotypic genus

Akebia

Lardizabala biternata
Also a Monotypic genus

--- End quote ---

Ok, so I haven't personally tried the fruit, but having talked to a couple of people who have, they assure me that it is pretty awful and not something worth growing. From memory both of them had assumed they'd taste like Asimina, but apparently they are nothing like this whatsoever.

--- End quote ---
Are you talking about the last one Lardizabala Starling?
I had thought the open fruit looks abit like American pawpaws

starling1:

--- Quote from: stuartdaly88 on May 09, 2015, 05:09:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: starling1 on May 08, 2015, 09:00:37 PM ---

Monotypic genus

Akebia

Lardizabala biternata
Also a Monotypic genus

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Are you talking about the last one Lardizabala Starling?
I had thought the open fruit looks abit like American pawpaws

--- End quote ---

Yes, the lardizabala. A friend of mine spent a long time waiting for it to fruit and was ultimately very disappointed.

Luisport:
I have the two of them... the l.biternata is too small and the akebia not flowering yet...  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version