Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Honey Pomelo seedlings

(1/8) > >>

Florian:
These are usually seedless but this winter I had a fruit that was full of large, flat seeds. I sowed them and they took their time but many germinated.

Now, I am wondering what to do.. I know pomelos do not come true from seed and our climate is much too cold to plant them in the ground but I'd still like to give them a try for the sake of it.

How long would they take to flower anyway? Any suggestions are welcome.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: Florian on March 15, 2019, 02:28:55 PM ---I know pomelos do not come true from seed
--- End quote ---
That's true but most of them will probably grow "pretty much true to seed", not too different from the parents.

--- Quote from: Florian on March 15, 2019, 02:28:55 PM --- and our climate is much too cold to plant them in the ground but I'd still like to give them a try for the sake of it.
--- End quote ---
You could always try growing them inside (taking them in during the Winter) and then eventually trying to hybridize them with a really cold-hardy variety.

Pomelo is pretty vigorous growing. I would suggest putting them on a root stock though, maybe citrumelo (otherwise it could take a long time to fruit).

brian:
From what I’ve read it should take many years to get fruit from a containerized citrus seedling in Switzerland, unfortunately

Millet:
Pummelo, in Switzerland would take at a minimum of 10+ years.  Also pummelos require a year around climate with high heat and plenty of sunshine to develop good tasting fruit, which will be very difficult in your area.

Laaz:
Pomelo do not come true from seed & also require a large node count before they will flower. In ground they will take 5+ years in perfect conditions. In a container they will never flower or produce fruit, that's just the nature of the variety.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version