Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Homemade organic fertilizers for container plants?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Tropicaltoba:

--- Quote from: elouicious on January 23, 2023, 11:44:59 PM ---I've done the same in the past-

Bokashi is great for composting on a small scale to produce liquid feritlizers

As tru said unless you have the same inputs to the bin, the leachate will always be a bit of a moving target but in general a dilution of 1:100 will be good for almost all applications

Really heavy feeders like some species of cactus can take it straight

What are your toxicity concerns?

(freshwater aquarium water changes are an amazing liquid fertilizer, I would like to begin experimenting with a protein skimmer from reef aquariums as well)

--- End quote ---

I’ve done a bit of reading that suggests there could be around 1-2% alcohol (my fruit waste probably turns into kombucha) and that if left to air 50% will evaporate over 5 days.

Tropicaltoba:

--- Quote from: pagnr on January 24, 2023, 04:35:37 AM ---A standard toxicity test is to plant 100 radish seed in a pot and count the germinations. High rate = very low to zero toxicity. Low rate of germination = higher toxicity.
You may need to standardise by knowing the germination rate of the radish seed, that should be 100% in most cases.
You could test toxicity of your fertiliser on radish seedlings in pots, if they go backwards it should be an indication.

--- End quote ---

I like this idea thanks

Tropicaltoba:

--- Quote from: tru on January 23, 2023, 10:40:57 PM ---Maybe treat it as a concentrate, mix w water to experiment with? I think the only real way to tell would be an EC reader, not sure about the leachates maybe cheesecloth would work? I figure they're probably way smaller than that though

I've never heard of bokashi but after reading up on it sounds really interesting!

I keep a fishtank so all of the dirty water goes directly to the plants instead of down the drain, I have a compost bin going but I'm new to it all so idk how good I did, tried to do the whole browns to greens ratio but It's hard to say if it was done right

--- End quote ---

I do use an ec meter for my fertigation (add small amounts of liquid fertillizer every time I water my small container fruit trees) and try to adjust it based on some salinity tolerate tables I found, but I’m not sure how that translates to organic fertilizer as there is hardly any sodium
Or chloride in it.

tru:
https://www.gardenmyths.com/bokashi-tea-fertilizer/#:~:text=Levels%20of%20Sodium%20and%20Chloride,50%20being%20toxic%20to%20plants.

I found this article talking about sodium and chloride levels; They also tested bokashi vs nothing vs typical fertilizer and the typical fertilizer destroyed them, they say it is because bokashi does not contain much nitrogen

"Use bokashi for gardens with high nitrogen content, that can deal with excess salt easily"

elouicious:
I think the salt concentrations mainly come from including cooked food- I could be wrong baut as long as you are only using raw food discard I can't see how the salt would accumulate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version