Author Topic: Poorman Orange/New Zealand Grapefruit  (Read 414 times)

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
Poorman Orange/New Zealand Grapefruit
« on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:47 AM »
I've read that this particular citrus is common in NZ due to its low heat requirement compared to true grapefruits, itself being some kind of pomelo x either a mandarin, a sour orange, or a tangelo (gee, that narrows it down a bit...).

What I can't seem to find any information on is how cold tolerant this thing is. I found plenty of info on NZ Lemonade, a different citrus, but nothing about NZ Grapefruit. Anyone have an idea?

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Poorman Orange/New Zealand Grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:39 PM »
I have one, but overwintering in greenhouse.
I estimate coldhardiness between -7°C and -10 ° C, but
problem is late fruit ripening.
I have first fruits, see pictures, but seems that maturity is late
I guess between April and May, first tested fruits end of January are
edible but still sour.
Chandler is at this time already much more sweet.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 01:57:37 PM »
Ah ok. The ripening tube matches what UCR says. I guess that while they don't need an much heat, they still need lots of time.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »
It might be interesting to try to cross them with something with exceptional fruit holding, maybe daidai? Fruit holding is definitely a trait I've been thinking is critically important in my low heat unit region.

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 12:00:17 AM »
Can confirm that they are very 'cool tolerant' and will withstand frosts, but the fruit also take a long time to ripen. At least some of the cold tolerance comes from it having high vigor, so it's able to outgrow minor damage.
I wouldn't say it's particularly cold tolerant compared to for example mandarins from what I've seen.

Over here, they are definitely sweeter than true grapefruits in most areas where they are grown. When fully ripe they can approach and meet the level of sweetness of a decent orange quite easily. The main problem with them is that they are too juicy in my opinion, and could do with being a bit firmer flesh. I would also be happier if the fruits were smaller, as then they would ripen quicker.

This variety is very common in New Zealand, much more common than true grapefruit, but is becoming less common as the younger generations don't have a strong like for grapefruits these days so it doesn't get planted as often as it used to.

I am also doing some hybrids with one of the NZ Grapefruit varieties, so potentially will have some interesting new fruits in years to come.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 07:40:59 AM »
JSea, excellent information, and interesting description of the fruit.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of hybrids are your working on?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 04:07:24 PM »
I have not tasted this "New Zealand grapefruit", but I have had the opportunity to taste Seville orange.
I would imagine the New Zealand grapefruit probably has a lot in common with Seville orange. The peel of Seville orange is not very edible, but is more edible than a regular orange and is useful for making marmalade.
Also may be similar to the Japanese variety natsudaidai, almost a little similar to grapefruit, which is of poorer fruit quality but is notable for having virtually no bitterness in the white pith, and so is suitable for making a marmalade.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 04:12:52 PM by SoCal2warm »

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 08:38:11 PM »
a_Vivaldi:
At the moment I have hand-pollinated fruits of these hybrids on the plant (of course they can still fall off):
NZ Grapefruit x Calamansi
NZ Grapefruit x sweet (low acid, edible peel) rough lemon

In both cases, the goal is to have the edible peel of the pollen parents, while retaining the sweet flesh of the NZ Grapefruit and maybe even reduce the bitterness further (it's already not a problem, but I know most people don't like bitter fruit). The fruit should also become smaller in both cases, which may make it a bit faster to ripen. Otherwise maybe a good marmalade fruit could be the result.

SoCal2warm:
No I would definitely say it's very different to Seville orange. Seville orange is far too sour to eat the flesh of (at least the ones I tried), unless you are one of those crazy people. NZ Grapefruit is as sweet as an orange when fully ripe (it will hang on the tree for months after being ripe, gathering ,ore sweetness), with only a mild bitterness (much less than true grapefruit). I have made marmalade from both Seville orange and NZ Grapefruit (using the same recipe), and the NZ Grapefruit marmalade is far sweeter, but also more runny. The peels also disintegrated much more in the NZ Grapefruit marmalade vs Seville, so that was another interesting factor, it reminded me a slightly bitter honey. The fruit size is also very different, with NZ Grapefruit being almost twice the size of a Seville orange on average.

We don't have any Japanese varieties apart from the usual mandarins and Yuzu, so I can't compare to Natsudaidai. I think it might also be similar to Sanbokan, which is described as a mixture of orange and grapefruit flavour.

I have been told that there are some oranges with quite edible peels, such as Xian Feng Cheng. Not yet tested it myself.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 10:14:12 PM »
That's a really interesting project, I hope you'll be posting updates to the forum over the years as things come along!

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:43:08 PM »
I will definitely post more updates, although usually I prefer to post results rather than "hopefully I can..." :)