Author Topic: Mango trees flushing with new vegetative flushes now  (Read 9826 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Mango trees flushing with new vegetative flushes now
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
My Neelam mango started pushing out a new vegetative flushes in early October. My Rosigold and Kiett are pushing out new vegetative flushes now. Is this normal? Will this effect flowering?
I know the weathers been off this year with the early drought and delay in rain.
The main reason I'm concerned is that last year my 2 year old Rosigold (from a 15 gallon) decided to only push one stem of flowers, no mangos  :'(. Obviously don't want that to happen again

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees flushing with new vegetative flushes now
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
Not uncommon at all to have a vegetative flush in October.   Keep in mond, we are coming off a very warm September and early to mid October with a lot of rain.
- Rob

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
I too have vegetative flushes now on my kent tree  :)

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
I have new growth on my Maha and there are fruits the size of cranberry right now.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
Thanks guys, great to know it wasn't just me. Hopefully it doesn't delay mango season next year, don't want to loose more to diseases and critters

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
Update:
VP and Rosigold is in mid flush
Maniiita and Lancetilla are pushing new leaves now.

Don't know if this counts, but all more seedling (for rootstock) have new leaves to.

So hopefully bloom in January?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
Mangos have been flushing here too. This is a VP in my neighborhood about 2 weeks ago.

Richard

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
Update:
VP and Rosigold is in mid flush
Maniiita and Lancetilla are pushing new leaves now.

Don't know if this counts, but all more seedling (for rootstock) have new leaves to.

So hopefully bloom in January?

How old are your trees?  Have they fruited in the past?
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Rosigold: - 15 gal - 2013 - 9ftx7ft - fruited 2014
Nac Doc Mai: 7 gal - 2013 - 8ftx8ft - fruited 2015 (Seems like its getting ready to flower)
Lancetilla: 7 gal - 2013 - 9ftx8ft - never fruited
Neelam: 3 gal - 2014 - 7ftx7ft - never fruited

Didn't fertilize this year.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
Nac Doc Mai: 7 gal - 2013 - 8ftx8ft - fruited 2015 (Seems like its getting ready to flower)

You have some great trees for topworking. Do you actually enjoy the Rosigold or Lancetilla?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »

My Nam Doc has about a dozen fruit of varying size on it. Still producing a few flowers too. Never had this happen so early.
Michael

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »

Are they in pots or in ground?  Are you sure about the sizes, especially being as wide as you state (a Neelam went from a 3 gal to 7' x 7' in one year?)?  You are lucky the Lancetila has not fruited. 
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
@murahilin
I do enjoy rosigold when it gives me mangos in March-April. ;D
As for lancetilla, i bought this because of the "curators" recomendation...not a great choice.
On a different thread I got some advice from Rob and Jeff, its going to become a Venus eventually

@cmichael258
Last year my nam doc fruit, the gold golf ball sized and dropped :(

@Bsbullie
All in ground. The neelam is definitely taller that me so it at its highest point it would be from 6.5ft to 7ft.
It could be 6ft wide, i'll double check tonight.
It seems to like that i was throwing all mt vegetable scraps under it

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »

You have some great trees for topworking. Do you actually enjoy the Rosigold or Lancetilla?

Call me crazy, but I really enjoy Rosigold. Not the most in your face mango that tastes like coconut unicorns, but every one I ate last year (first year my tree fruited) was enjoyable.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
Call me crazy, but I really enjoy Rosigold. Not the most in your face mango that tastes like coconut unicorns...

That made me laugh :-)

Regards,

Gary

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »

Are they in pots or in ground?  Are you sure about the sizes, especially being as wide as you state (a Neelam went from a 3 gal to 7' x 7' in one year?)?  You are lucky the Lancetila has not fruited.

Rob,
I double checked the Neelam and its around 7ft by 7ft, definitely bigger then 6ft by 6ft. There is not branched below 3 feet but everything above is nice and thick.
Hopefully i can take few pics this weekend.
The crazy growth might have to do with dumping all of our kitchen waste near the trunk and nearly daily water this summer.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »

Call me crazy, but I really enjoy Rosigold. Not the most in your face mango that tastes like coconut unicorns, but every one I ate last year (first year my tree fruited) was enjoyable.

You REALLY ENJOY Rosigold???  Time to call the Doctor...I believe you may have been concussed.  File Rosie (along with manilita) under YRB  for yellow, rubbery, and bland.   To each his own, but there are much better options.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »

You REALLY ENJOY Rosigold???  Time to call the Doctor...I believe you may have been concussed.  File Rosie (along with manilita) under YRB  for yellow, rubbery, and bland.   To each his own, but there are much better options.

Rosigold is the BEST...and...ONLY mango ready in March-April thus its appeal...On a 1-10 scale it gets an extra few points for that availability.       

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Rosigold is the BEST...and...ONLY mango ready in March-April thus its appeal...On a 1-10 scale it gets an extra few points for that availability.       

+1 for Rosigold
Best mango if its the only one around.

As for Manilita, obviously everyone has there preferences but i really like it.
Not because it has an outstanding flavor, but because it has a texture that reminds of those mango jelly pods from the Asian markets. I guess a high amount of pectin
Also the tree is suppose to be a dwarf so i can squeeze more trees in my yard ;D

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
That's interesting Gunnar, cuz when I've gotten my Rosi to yield mangoes
out here in Cali they have been extremely good- fiberless, sweet and with
some flavor interest.....

Gary

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »

And extra bonus points for being the only mango to set the initial bar of mango expectations low enough to make all the following Glenn's taste more like Edwards! Relatively speaking, of course.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »

Gary
yeah...tastes are subjective.  I think I prefer more subacid flavor....just not for me.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:13 PM »

Gary
yeah...tastes are subjective.  I think I prefer more subacid flavor....just not for me.

gonna have to agree with you,  Rosi is average at best.  One dimensional in terms of flavor with a tad more fiber than a Pickering. I really dont care that its ready in March,  I would prefer to wait for the better fruit.  I truly eat enough mangoes by August that it can be tough and it takes something really good to make it worth eating in late season.  Eating what i would call a nothing mango would just make the burnout come that much earlier.
- Rob

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »
My iMac was in for repairs after a near-death experience, so just catching up with what's been going on for the past week or so on the forum. It's been pretty warm here in Pinellas County after a very wet summer, and my mango trees are still putting out new vegetative flushes. Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think some of them had begun to flower by this time last year, with the NDM leading the race. It's been the warmest fall that I can remember this past decade.
Don't mango trees need a quiet/dormant spell before they start flowering? And doesn't the new growth have to harden off before it is ready to put out flowers? So far, there haven't been any chilly days -- a few cool ones, with nights in the 50s (mostly 60s) and a couple of days where the highs stayed in the upper 60s. Mostly, it's hovered a little above or just below 80.
It takes roughly 6 months from flowering to fruit, right? So if the flowering is late Jan/or Feb, the fruits will start ripening later in the year -- when the rains have picked up again.
The pdf composite isn't the sharpest as I had to keep the file size low, but you'll get an idea: the photos were shot yesterday (Dec. 10).

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »
Looking at SKhan's tree sizes, and they seem about right. All my trees were 3 gallons when I got them in Jan. 2013. Their sizes now:
NDM: 6 feet tall, about 10 feet diameter (at widest point)
Mallika: 7 feet tall, 8 feet diameter (but not a well-rounded bush like the NDM)
Cogshall: 6 feet tall, 10 diameter
Neelam: 5.5 feet tall, 8 diameter
Pickering: 4 feet tall, 4 feet diameter

The Maha I got from Rob/Excalibur -- as a 3 gallon -- is already taller than the Pickering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk