Author Topic: Maha Chanok Mango...  (Read 10514 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Maha Chanok Mango...
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
Sooo...because I was too impatient to taste fruits from my own Maha I let it fruit sooner than I should have causing my tree to stop growing after the first few fruits were picked...really halted the new growths  :'(. When I saw some swelling the last few weeks I assumed they were blooms since all my other trees were putting out mixed blooms/leaves right now. I thought I would try something new. I decided to start fertilizing my Maha. I started several weeks ago when I first saw the first signs of swelling hoping to halt the flowers and let it put out new growths instead. Coincidence or not they are now bursting with  new growths, no blooms that I can find. Almost every branch has 1-4 new shoots growing. Very good news since I really need this tree to grow this year so I can let it fruit next season.

I wanted to get new growths instead of blooms right away instead of letting it fruit...wait till they are pea size then remove them and wait several more weeks before they start growing again. Thought I would share my method in case anyone out there might want to try it on their small/young mango trees? Not saying it will work for you but it did for me  ;)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok Mango...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing pug! I've tried fertilizing mango trees with a vegetative growth type fertilizer but the blooms kept on coming. I've also tried increasing the amount of water my trees get and that still didn't work. I believe it is the cold weather that is the major factor causing blooms on my mango trees. I get a bit of frost almost every year and get really cold weather about every 10-12 years.

My trees are almost in perpetual blooms except for a few of the warmest months in summer. Last year I let my very small Carrie hold 4-5 fruit to maturity thinking that it will not fruit for a few years after that but sure enough, it's blooming again.

Even all my recently grafted Double Stone Grafted trees are blooming and they are only about 12-14 inches tall!

Simon

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
I thought I would try something new. I decided to start fertilizing my Maha. I started several weeks ago when I first saw the first signs of swelling hoping to halt the flowers and let it put out new growths instead. Coincidence or not they are now bursting with  new growths, no blooms that I can find. Almost every branch has 1-4 new shoots growing.
I did the early season fertilization with my new mangos for the same reason after they were planted in 2011. There were some flowers but mostly vegetative growth was produced. The trees were pruned at planting too.
Richard

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you Simon...like I said its probably coincidental or accidental,lol...but all my other trees are blooming right now. Maha is the only one I fertilized and watered this winter. I too have had many chilling hours so I was so sure they would have been blooms had I not intervened, but no real proof  ::)

Oh remember my potted lanky Hak ip that I wanted to prune, turns out those "swells" were definitely blooms/leaves combination...I'm going to see if they will set some fruits this year, wish me luck!

phantomcrab...maybe it worked for you too?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:36:03 PM by puglvr1 »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Hey Nancy
Mahachanok is a great mango. Let it fruit away and you'll get one flush in October and bloom in February. Here is one of my maha graft fruiting

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »

That's awesome Joe, Congrats!!!! I'm letting mine fruit next year...going to give it one season to grow a little  ;)

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »
Sooo...because I was too impatient to taste fruits from my own Maha I let it fruit sooner than I should have causing my tree to stop growing after the first few fruits were picked...really halted the new growths  :'(. When I saw some swelling the last few weeks I assumed they were blooms since all my other trees were putting out mixed blooms/leaves right now. I thought I would try something new. I decided to start fertilizing my Maha. I started several weeks ago when I first saw the first signs of swelling hoping to halt the flowers and let it put out new growths instead. Coincidence or not they are now bursting with  new growths, no blooms that I can find. Almost every branch has 1-4 new shoots growing. Very good news since I really need this tree to grow this year so I can let it fruit next season.

I wanted to get new growths instead of blooms right away instead of letting it fruit...wait till they are pea size then remove them and wait several more weeks before they start growing again. Thought I would share my method in case anyone out there might want to try it on their small/young mango trees? Not saying it will work for you but it did for me  ;)

Can you post a pic of the whole tree puglvr1?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you Simon...like I said its probably coincidental or accidental,lol...but all my other trees are blooming right now. Maha is the only one I fertilized and watered this winter. I too have had many chilling hours so I was so sure they would have been blooms had I not intervened, but no real proof  ::)

Oh remember my potted lanky Hak ip that I wanted to prune, turns out those "swells" were definitely blooms/leaves combination...I'm going to see if they will set some fruits this year, wish me luck!

Against "The Herd" I have used a high N food on mangoes with good blooms.

I have one more spot for a mango tree.  If you had to choose, would it be Maha or Lemon Zest?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

Against "The Herd" I have used a high N food on mangoes with good blooms.

I have one more spot for a mango tree.  If you had to choose, would it be Maha or Lemon Zest?
I like Maha better, and it would be much easier to keep in a GH, but the rest of the forum is drinking the LZ kool-aid so I think I am in the minority here. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:26:41 PM »
I like Maha better, and it would be much easier to keep in a GH, but the rest of the forum is drinking the LZ kool-aid so I think I am in the minority here.

Thanks.  I'm about to toss a coin. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
I like Lemon Zest a lot more than Maha but Maha is much easier to keep small than a LZ. If you decide on LZ, you may want to consider grafting a LZ scion onto a seedling. This way you can have lower branching and save several feet of vertical height in your greenhouse.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
Thanks!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:43 PM »

Thanks.  I'm about to toss a coin.

Hold that coin toss.  While I am making a batch of Kool-aid for Jeff and recommending LZ between the two, wait till later this summer to see if any potential surprises become available.   I also would not rule out going with a Peach Cobbler.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
I like Lemon Zest a lot more than Maha but Maha is much easier to keep small than a LZ. If you decide on LZ, you may want to consider grafting a LZ scion onto a seedling. This way you can have lower branching and save several feet of vertical height in your greenhouse.

Simon

Isnt that a grafted tree?   ???
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »

Hold that coin toss.  While I am making a batch of Kool-aid for Jeff and recommending LZ between the two, wait till later this summer to see if any potential surprises become available.   I also would not rule out going with a Peach Cobbler.

You're teasing us, Rob.  And yes, it's working.......

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:48 PM »

You're teasing us, Rob.  And yes, it's working.......

No guarantees but....
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
Yah, LZ and MC are both excellent mangoes. The LZ wins by a very small margin. It's like Platinum vs Gold. While LZ has a slightly better flavor, the MC has a smaller growth habit.
Jeff  :-)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 02:20:59 AM »
How does Lemon Meringue (Po Pyu Kalay) match up with these two? These three all look like they are Burmese in origin.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »
When choosing between those two, both is the answer.   

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
I just got an message from a very seasoned mango grower located here in Texas that taste tests by a couple of folks both confirmed that MC tasted just like a carrot. It wouldn't be such a big deal but I have only one reserved spot left in the greenhouse for a mango.

I'm about to make payment to an ebayer for an LZ. (will hold off now) but one grower said she lost two mango trees from them and the first one sent was the wrong variety. 

Anyone know of a reputable mail order source for LZ?  PIN does not have LZ & will not stock MC until May FWIW.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:00:45 AM by Mark in Texas »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »

Simon

Yes Rob, what I meant is that by grafting a Lemon Zest onto a newly sprouted seedling, you can have much lower branching compared to nursery grafted LZ that may already have branching at 2-4 feet. My home grafted Lemon Zest has branching starting at about 10 inches from the ground.

Simon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »
How does Lemon Meringue (Po Pyu Kalay) match up with these two? These three all look like they are Burmese in origin.

I like the LZ the best of the three. PPK second. I've never been that impressed with Mahachanok though. Only the PPK is from Myanmar. Mahachanok is from Thailand and LZ is a PPK seedling that originated in Florida.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »

Simon

Yes Rob, what I meant is that by grafting a Lemon Zest onto a newly sprouted seedling, you can have much lower branching compared to nursery grafted LZ that may already have branching at 2-4 feet. My home grafted Lemon Zest has branching starting at about 10 inches from the ground.

Simon

Having branches 10 inches from the ground is a nono here in Florida, and really anywhere where you have humid conditions.   Its a breeding ground for fu gus.  Mangoes need good airflow under and through the trees.  Plus, with branches that low, you will have fruit hanging on the ground, perfect for feeding the vermin.
- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
Anyone know of a reputable mail order source for LZ?  PIN does not have LZ & will not stock MC until May FWIW.
Plantogram ships both MC and LZ but it will cost more than PIN. I purchased my Mahachanok from POG.
Richard

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »
When I first read the carrot / MC references, I was a bit dumbfounded by the comparison. But, after giving it some thought, I think I know what they are referring to. Southeast Asian mangoes tend to have a piney type smell and flavor, especially near the rind. Carrots also have a turpentine flavor. I know that I was initially repelled by that flavor in mangoes (such as the Duncan), but I now actively seek it out. I now view it as a "coca cola" flavor, and it is a very strong component of the SweetTart mango flavor -- which I absolutely adore. Also, the piney / coca cola flavor is only detectable when the MC is at a certain stage of ripeness. If you wait a couple of days, that flavor goes away.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk