Author Topic: what's happening to my mango tree?  (Read 4721 times)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
what's happening to my mango tree?
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »
My mango tree is tree years old and it looked quite healthy even though the canopy shape is a bit weird.
This picture was taken last february before the log period of drought we're experiencing here in the Philippines. The tree was pushing new leaves.

During the last month something changed and some leaves turned yellow and fell down.
The yellowing leaves are both new and old ones in an apparently random path.
This occurs in a "inverse-chlorosis-pattern" since it's first the leaf base near central vein to turn yellow  then gradually affecting the whole leaf that will eventually  fall.
I couldn't find any bug or small scritters under the laves and i water the three once a week since we never had rain for the last 60 days.

Any idea of what is the problem?
Thanks in advance!

Lorenzo

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: what's happening to my mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
Magnesium deficiency
RichardN

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Not sure if Cebu or even Philippines carry it but If there is rock dust (azomite), u may want to till it.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
Thamk you!
Lorenzo

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
Actually,  the tree in the picture looks pretty good.  I am not convinced those yellowing leaves are of any deficiency or concern.  It is common for mangoesto drop some leaves each seadon, and they can and will yellow before they drop (especially if it is a moisture issue).  I dont see the tree showing widespread damage.  It does look pretty dry and more of a concern is that banana planted right next to it.  Bananas are heavy feeders and can rob the moisture and nutrients from the mango.
- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
I agree that the tree looks healthy and I would certainly get rid of the banana plants next to it. They spread and will be a problem in the future.
Richard

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
How far away should bananas be from mangoes?

I agree that the tree looks healthy and I would certainly get rid of the banana plants next to it. They spread and will be a problem in the future.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
The leaf on the right shows the reverse pattern of magnesium deficiency.  With magnesium deficiency, the center stays green with a distinct arrow shape.

To me, it looks like the tree pulled the nutrients from these leaves because it was ready to drop them due to the normal recycling process. 
Brandon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »
The leaf on the right shows the reverse pattern of magnesium deficiency.  With magnesium deficiency, the center stays green with a distinct arrow shape.

To me, it looks like the tree pulled the nutrients from these leaves because it was ready to drop them due to the normal recycling process.

That seems to make sense, Lory mentions the tree in picture is when it was healthy before the drought problem.  you might want to mulch around the tree also, as the heat may be cooking them roots.

Lory did you water your tree during the drought?  you might want to mulch around the tree also, as the heat may be cooking them roots. if your getting hardpan, water may not be reaching all the roots well even if you water, and nutrient uptake may be poor.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »
Magnesium deficiency

But the pattern shouldn't be reversed? I mean yellowing sides and central portion still green?
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
Actually,  the tree in the picture looks pretty good.  I am not convinced those yellowing leaves are of any deficiency or concern.  It is common for mangoesto drop some leaves each seadon, and they can and will yellow before they drop (especially if it is a moisture issue).  I dont see the tree showing widespread damage.  It does look pretty dry and more of a concern is that banana planted right next to it.  Bananas are heavy feeders and can rob the moisture and nutrients from the mango.

It's damned dry because of this f....g  season. we have had ZERO rain for the last 62 days up to date.
That picture was taken about 2 months ago i will take a new picture and post it tomorrow.
You let me think about that banana tree it's about 3 feet from the mango and YES I will definitely remove it! Thanks  :)
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »

That seems to make sense, Lory mentions the tree in picture is when it was healthy before the drought problem.  you might want to mulch around the tree also, as the heat may be cooking them roots.

Lory did you water your tree during the drought?  you might want to mulch around the tree also, as the heat may be cooking them roots. if your getting hardpan, water may not be reaching all the roots well even if you water, and nutrient uptake may be poor.

I mulched about one month ago with abundant mango and avocado leaves to prevent water evaporation.
I water twice a week with about 15 liters of water each time but the sun here is merciless and the temperatures are ranging in the 27-35 °C everyday (80-95 °F)
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »
Thanks everybody for advices and suggestions!  :)
I will take a new picture and post it tomorrow.
I haven't fertilized the tree during the last 4 months i think i will wait for the rain season to start, i'm afraid that the fertilizer could "burn" the roots in these dry conditions.
By the way the tree is exactly 3 years old and is grafted. How many years does it usually take to bear fruit?
Everytime i see other members' pictures showing their  little mango trees with plenty of flowers/fruits i look at mine and feel a bit upset  :-\
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:58:41 AM by Lory »
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »

I will for sure remove the banana.
there is also a guava tree at about 2.5 meters (8 feet) distance do you think it might bother?
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
This is how the tree looked this morning before i started removing the banana.
I added a thick mulch of avocado-mango leaves all around the tree to keep the soil moist even in this extremely hot weather.
I'm undecided wether removing or not the guava tree that is at a 8 feet distance, its visible in the right back of the picture.....

Lorenzo

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »
The mango still looks fine.  Give some supplemental watering if possible.
- Rob

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
Lori, I think your mango tree looks pretty healthy, too. I do put a lot of mulch around my mango trees. The mulch should extend out at least as far as the leaves do in the crown or even a bit farther. All the light colored rock will soak up the sun and make that soil really hot. Reminds me of stepping barefoot on concrete in the midwest US summers....ouch!
Erica
zone 9a
Venus, FL USA

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
This is how the tree looked this morning before i started removing the banana.
I added a thick mulch of avocado-mango leaves all around the tree to keep the soil moist even in this extremely hot weather.
I'm undecided wether removing or not the guava tree that is at a 8 feet distance, its visible in the right back of the picture.....

The guava should be OK although 8 feet will be crowded for the mature trees. The bananas can be transplanted elsewhere so they don't send up suckers all around the mango. Eventually most bananas will spread out and form large clumps where nothing else survives either from shading out or starvation.
Good luck.
Richard

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 01:08:42 AM »
Have to agree with the other folks,  the tree looks healthy,  not water stressed at all,  the new leaves do look a bit small,  so  maybe lacking some minor elements?  I had a similar problem with some stunting on new growth,   and solved it with, adding a fertilizer with just minor elements, like Zinc, Mg, Iron, Boron, Calcium and so on.     if you do add something like this,  start very very low, maybe 1/4 the recommended dosage.  and  with that heat, I would not do anything foliar at this time.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »
Thanks everybody for the useful information i feel comforted now  :)

@ Rob....YES I definitely need to water more, as for now I'm stuck at 8 liters (2 gallons) twice a week i can't do more because of the tawful lack of water here!

@Erica,,,,,,That white stones are  LIMESTONE! Here there  actually no soil, it's just a rocky land that was leveled with limestone. I dug a big hole and i filled it with garden soil upon planting my mango three years ago. Mulching is a GREAT HELP in this conditions!

@Richard..... I decided to leave the guava but i completely removed the banana. I even didn't trensplant them since i've plenty of bananas here and especially i've no water to irrigate it

@William....... You are definitely right. I am planning to resume some fertilizing as soon as the rain season will start (hopefully soon).
I suspended any fertilization since january because i'm afraid the tree will get more stressed by the lack of water and accumulation of nutrient. What fertilizer would you advice me?

Lorenzo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk