Author Topic: Mallika Fruit Rotting  (Read 1847 times)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mallika Fruit Rotting
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »
This fruit rot on Mallika has plagued me (and others) for two years. It appears only on the base of the fruit and eventually the afflicted fruit falls off. It doesn't affect all the fruit on the tree either. None of my other mangos have this problem. It doesn't look like anthracnose. Cookie Monster says he had a similar issue with Keitt and copper seems to have helped.
I don't use fertilizers on my trees: mulch only with micronutrient supplements.
Any ideas?

Richard

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mallika Fruit Rotting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
Yah, I think it's something fungal. For several years, I lost 95% of my keitt crop to something that looked identical to that. This year, I used copper fairly heavily, and for the first time in 4 - 5 years, the entire crop is clean.

Mulch / organic material actually ties up copper and creates a copper deficiency, so I was also dealing with a heavy copper deficiency -- as evinced by gummosis and zero defense against fungal infection -- that nearly killed my own mallika.

We're trained to be afraid of copper, but it's actually a necessary micronutrient that is often lacking in organic soil.

There is a visible anthracnose streak on left side of the mango.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »
Actually I just remembered that Rob once said it could be Mango Bacterial Disease.

Update: here is the manual that Rob sent me which describes the problem and how to cure it. Interestingly enough, copper is recommended :-)

https://agritrop.cirad.fr/570027/2/document_570027.pdf
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:28:37 PM by Cookie Monster »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
Actually I just remembered that Rob once said it could be Mango Bacterial Disease.

Update: here is the manual that Rob sent me which describes the problem and how to cure it. Interestingly enough, copper is recommended :-)

https://agritrop.cirad.fr/570027/2/document_570027.pdf

Yeah, I was going to post that.  Sanitary pruning back is a good practice also, keeping the grass well mowed and excellent airflow around your trees.

Do any of those Mallika have a "star" patterned wound (open wound) in the black/rotting area?  For precaution purposes, do not share any budwood from any of your trees until you can determine if it is truly black spot.  If it is, you will need to aggressively treat your trees for it.  It is a nasty airborne disease that affects many varieties.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
Yah, whatever it is, a strong copper formulation did the trick for me. I'm using Nordox 75wg (basically 75% copper).

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
I checked out the tree and could find no leaf or stem symptoms as described in the PDF. However, there is one small fruit that has a suspicious looking light yellow nose. I'll keep an eye on it.
Interestingly, the symptoms began after TS Colin came by in early June with high winds and heavy rainfall for two days. There are many uncared for "wild" mangos in nearby yards that only serve as shade trees.
Do any of those Mallika have a "star" patterned wound (open wound) in the black/rotting area?
No stars that I recall. All the infected fruit were bagged and went out with the trash this AM.
Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »
The trees I have seen jnfected here in PBCounty dont have mucb in the way of leaf and stem damage as they do fruit damage, exactly as shown on the pdf that Jeff posted above.  Diagnosis was confirmed by Randy Ploetz ffom the USDA in Miami.  He informed us that humans can transmit the disease to other trees.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
Scary stuff!

Thank you for the link!
Har