Author Topic: Suggestions on splitting issues  (Read 1112 times)

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Suggestions on splitting issues
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

This is the third year that my Nam Doc Mai have produced fruits, but 9 out of 10; they split when they get to be around 3 inches. Would you suggest a). I graft other varieties unto it, b). Top work it, or c). Get scions from it and graft it into say - my Manila mango?
Does the splitting characteristic come from the rootstock or the scions? I don’t want to give this tree the Ax, but I’ve had it. Thanks in advance.

-Allan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on splitting issues
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »
I suggest you start a water schedule and stick to it. NDM is one of the sweetest mango you will ever have.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »
yes, i noticed that irregular watering seems to be causing mine to split too. not just NDM, but in general, other mangos as well.

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:30:21 PM »
I suggest you start a water schedule and stick to it. NDM is one of the sweetest mango you will ever have.
Thanks JF, do you know if it will continue to have the tendency to split if I use its scions and graft them unto another variety or does the rootstock makes a difference?

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »
yes, i noticed that irregular watering seems to be causing mine to split too. not just NDM, but in general, other mangos as well.
So, did you change how you water and did you see any difference?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Thanks JF, do you know if it will continue to have the tendency to split if I use its scions and graft them unto another variety or does the rootstock makes a difference?
Nah I don’t think rootstock matter. Some varieties are more prone to split than others e.g. Lemon zest, NDM so you have to be careful with your water after they set fruits

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk