Author Topic: Mango Taproot Mystery  (Read 544 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Mango Taproot Mystery
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:00:49 AM »
Weird thing happened today. I had planted a buttercream mango and after 3 years a sucker came up 8 inches away from the trunk. I thought oh it must me manila seed sprout that I planted around turpentine mango trees from Florida so I would inarch in the future and help droopyness issue.
I ended up grafting another mango on this sucker that I thought was a seedling. Today I wanted to pot this grafted mango, so I went digging, and was able to isolate all roots, it was down to taproot and I could feel it when hitting with showel. I slowly pulled it up and taproot snapped at 8" depth. I was amused and thought it would kill my plant. As I pulled the grafted plant out with massive feeder root mass, I saw the adjacent buttercream plant fall on it face. I was like WTF happened.
Then I went looking for taproot of buttercream and there was no taproot. Then I looked for the seedling taproot and there wasn't any there either. It turned out that buttercream taproot had hit a rock and turned sideways and it sprouted a sucker.

Has anyone ever witness this?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:41:10 PM by behlgarden »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Taproot Mystery
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
Yes, that has happened to several of my trees.

I have also grafted small seedlings and the rootstock rejected the scion and the seed/roots sprouted another seedling several inches away.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk