Author Topic: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general  (Read 17707 times)

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2021, 01:56:41 AM »
sc4001992, it is mildly sweet.  Some fruits are crunchy, while some are soft (most likely pollinated by near by plants).  No fragrant at all.  Because of these characteristics, we love them. We can eat more without getting sick of the smell or concern about sugar level.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »
Mexican cream

Some of the fruits are roundish and some are pear shaped, so I assume there's some variation? Also, is there even such a thing as "Mexican Cream"? It does not seem to be a common variety name in Mexico. I did some research and Mexican sites keep mentioning "Guayaba de Calvillo" as the sweetest variety in Mexico. I understand that Calvillo is a municipality and not a variety, but that's what that guava goes by I guess.  Did you hear about it? How does it taste? Given that a lot of Guavas imported to the US come from there (Aguascalientes), could the "Mexican Cream" be one of the "Guayaba de Calvillo"?

Also, do you think your Jalisco Roja or Dolores are as sweet or sweeter than Mexican Cream?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:40:05 PM by CaliLowWater »

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »

CaliLowWater, over two years ago, I bought four seedling guava plants, each was 1 gallon. This year each plant is producing fruits, which have more seeds, sweeter, but much smaller than the parent fruits.  The fragrant was as strong as the parent fruits.  They are of unknown variety.  It is most likely from India.  The owner is most likely from India because of their name and look, and I saw a few plants that are known in India.  The picture depicted the mother plant fruits in various stages of ripeness. I was trying to see what ripening stages that the fruit can be eating. I sold two plants already.  I keep two plants to evaluate to see if the fruits can be bigger.

Got it. Let us know how things go. I would love to taste some of your fruit one day, if they turn out to be nice and sweet and big. :)

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2021, 06:43:01 PM »
I only buy from Home Depot, Lowe's and Armstrong nursery so it could be from Armstrong nursery.

I see. I got my grafted La Verne Mexican Cream from Armstrong, too, by the way.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »
Here is a picture of ripe Calvillo Guavas. It seems like they turn reddish from yellow when ripe. Never seen that before:

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
Seng, as long as it has some sweet taste then I would be satisfied with that guava as well.

CaliLowWater, those Calvillo Guavas look tasty, have you tried any or are those photos you found in your search for the best ones?

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »
Seng, as long as it has some sweet taste then I would be satisfied with that guava as well.

CaliLowWater, those Calvillo Guavas look tasty, have you tried any or are those photos you found in your search for the best ones?

Unfortunately, it's just one of the photos I found. There are actually many photos of reddish Calvillo guavas.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2021, 10:38:10 PM »
Today, I gave a few pounds of Thai Jumbo wax apple to a neighbor nearby.  In return, I got a few pounds of guava.  He said the plant was brought from Mexico.  It has intense sweetness and acidity, even after he over water the tree.  The fruit is not too crunchy, it is not soft.  It is kind of supple like a hard Fuyu persimmon.  It has no fragrant. It is very productive.
 This is the best guava I have eaten. 

I have done two air layer of the plant.  He will get one, and I will get one.  It is over a year now, and the aired layer start to grow root. Hopefully, it will work, so I can have the plant. I will try to grow from seeds as well.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2021, 11:37:58 PM »
Seng, those guava's look nice and big. You can also graft his guava onto a tree from Home Depot (5 gallon pot).
Since the cutting will be fresh the graft should work fine.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2021, 11:45:14 PM »
Ok, I just cut and ate my green seedless crystal.  It is a little crunchier than the one in post above.  It has only two seeds.  Sweetness and acidity is almost the same as the one in the post above.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2021, 11:50:40 PM »
Your seedless crystal looks nice, I didn't know the fruits were that big. I hope my small grafted branch grows faster so maybe in a few years I will have a fruit to taste.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2021, 11:52:15 PM »
Seng, those guava's look nice and big. You can also graft his guava onto a tree from Home Depot (5 gallon pot).
Since the cutting will be fresh the graft should work fine.

I did last year and this year.  They all failed.  I have a few seedling that I can try again.  The scion should be semi-hard wood?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2021, 12:02:32 AM »
Yes, it is difficult to graft the guava. If you can get hardwood it is best, but semi-hard is ok as well. Just graft it immediately and watch out for any mold on the scion. Seanny has an interesting method of grafting guava and he has a high success rate.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2021, 12:30:45 AM »
Today, I gave a few pounds of Thai Jumbo wax apple to a neighbor nearby.  In return, I got a few pounds of guava.  He said the plant was brought from Mexico.  It has intense sweetness and acidity, even after he over water the tree.  The fruit is not too crunchy, it is not soft.  It is kind of supple like a hard Fuyu persimmon.  It has no fragrant. It is very productive.

I have done two air layer of the plant.  He will get one, and I will get one.  It is over a year now, and the aired layer start to grow root. Hopefully, it will work, so I can have the plant. I will try to grow from seeds as well.

Your guava looks similar to China White guava.  I do have this but mine is mildly sweet.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2021, 02:24:20 AM »
Yes, it is difficult to graft the guava. If you can get hardwood it is best, but semi-hard is ok as well. Just graft it immediately and watch out for any mold on the scion. Seanny has an interesting method of grafting guava and he has a high success rate.

I found the link. I will try that method. Thanks.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2021, 02:26:25 AM »

Your guava looks similar to China White guava.  I do have this but mine is mildly sweet.

I used to have china white.  It was too astringing, and not sweet enough.  I chopped it a few years ago.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2021, 07:16:05 AM »
I have a question on a pink/red flesh guava. It's called Beaumont Red guava from La Verne nursery. Has anyone grown this variety and gotten fruits, and does it taste good ? I purchased a larger tree (10 gallon pot) a few years ago but no fruit since I cut most of the branches to graft onto it. I noticed this tree has leaves that are much smaller than the white guava.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
Diana, I have a seedling orange flesh guava (they say) but it is very small and in 1 year it has not grown at all. If it grows up and has orange fruits then I will post it.

Great! Looking forward to see how your seedling turn out, Kaz.
Let me know if you want cuttings from my Red Malaysian or 'Giant Peruvian'. These trees are still young, so maybe another year before I can airlayer them.

Yes Kaz, please keep us posted, the only orange guava I’ve seen was from seeds listed here https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/guava-var-orange-pulp-psidium-guajava-var-orange-pulp looks totally awesome.

-Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »
Ok, I just cut and ate my green seedless crystal.  It is a little crunchier than the one in post above.  It has only two seeds.  Sweetness and acidity is almost the same as the one in the post above.

Interesting pics seng, looking at the leaves of your plant I am confused as I thought the crystal seedless had wide rounded leaves, is it possible there are two different green seedless guavas going around as crystal seedless?

Thanks,

-Joe

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
I have a question on a pink/red flesh guava. It's called Beaumont Red guava from La Verne nursery. Has anyone grown this variety and gotten fruits, and does it taste good ? I purchased a larger tree (10 gallon pot) a few years ago but no fruit since I cut most of the branches to graft onto it. I noticed this tree has leaves that are much smaller than the white guava.

Beaumont Red is supposed to be a commercial Guava grown in Hawaii and primarily for making juice. It is described on its label as "mildly sweet and acidic" or something like that. (I saw the plants when I bought my Mexican Cream a few weeks ago).  "Mildly sweet" is always a warning sign for me. But it makes sense that this variety is used for juicing as one can always add sugar in the process and some acidity is welcome too in most cases (like orange juice).

I also read a report on another website that said that it is too sour and the author was going to get rid of it.

Here is a question though...during my research I ran into JF's posts saying that his Jalisco Red guava had a brix reading of 21, which would mean it is super sweet. Yet, nobody in this thread said that they tasted it and found it to be the sweetest pink/red guava out there. So, anyone with first hand experience? Brad (spaugh), do you actually have this variety or did you just taste it somewhere?

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2021, 01:26:53 PM »
JoeP450,

there are a few crunchy seedless green guava.  I have another plant with round leaves.  The fruits are perfectly round and less productive.  I got that aired layer plant from my neighbor a few months ago.  Hopefully, it will fruit next year. I also has another oval shape seedless, it died on me last year.  There are also pear shape seedless as well.

There is also another crystal that is having a few seeds, and its leaves are round.  I think Xshen has that one.  Xshen also has Thai seedless and Taiwanese seedless.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »
I grafted the Crystal seedless from xshen. The leaves are are not round, still more elliptical shape with a point. I also have the seedless (trianhthy)grafted and it's leaves are almost round. One more small seedless plant I have has very round leaves (no points). Not sure if the two seedless variety I have is the same or are different varieties. When I get a fruit on it I should be able to compare. The True Seedless guava (trianhthy) is a strong grower, branch looks thick and leaves are big so maybe next year I will see fruit.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »
My seedless from my neighbor looks like the one in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawbVxFfcp0

My next year most anticipating red seedless guava.  It is a small plant.  It dropped flower last year and this year.  It looks similar to this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIuj2r3MrQI

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2021, 04:53:23 PM »
Just coming back from my neighbor to check on the remaining aired layer.  Got two fruits to taste.  Supple texture, intense sweetness and acidity.

Has about 30 seeds

Has 10 seeds.

An aired layer I got from her tree.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2021, 06:24:32 PM »
I had Malaysian Red, Vietnamese white, and Ruby-X red. Whites are by far the best tasting and sweetest guavas I ever had. From crunchy to full ripe the flavor of white changes and is very interesting. I sold my home so now i Need to replace them, I tried to root but several failed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk