Author Topic: 4 great fruits from Uganda  (Read 11516 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
4 great fruits from Uganda
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
Today I went to National Forestry Authority just outside Kampala and spoke with some of the researchers I know; here in East Africa there is now a growing focus on native fruit species and for that reason they have decided to work on improving 4 great fruit species. The species where selected based on several criteria, mainly their great taste and from Uganda the following were chosen for the programme;

1. Chrysophyllum albidum (White Star Apple)
2. Canarium schweinfurthii
3. Vitex doniana
4. Saba comorensis

Currently they have started selling C. albidum and C. schweinfurthii seedlings; soon the others will follow as well (Saba comorensis can be propagated by cuttings as well). I look forward to the trials starting within the next months and will keep everyone posted.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:56:22 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
Re: 4 great fruits from Uganda
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
Soren
Very nice news.
All the four on my wish list.
Especially White star apple.
I have a hope ,one day I will find all of them through you
Thanks in advance

Roy

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »
Soren
Very nice news.
All the four on my wish list.
Especially White star apple.
I have a hope ,one day I will find all of them through you
Thanks in advance

Roy

Roy; I have been trading the 2 first but not the last before. I am happy to know that there is a growing interest in the African species of which many are superior to more well know species from other countries... :-)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
As a sapotacea lover, White star apple has been on my wishlist for a long time  ::)

Great to hear that africans are starting programs on their fruit...

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
The Canarium is such an easy plant , grows fast and totally drought resistant , thanks Soren.
Hate to say the White star apple didn't make it , no germination or maybe too much water...who knows...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »
Don't think my white starapples germinated either. Have 2 very large Canarium schweinfurthii from Soren. I have also 3 small trees of Vitex doniana that are growing nicely also. Just need to get some Saba comorensis and more white starapples to complete my Ugandan series collection.  :D
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 10:22:52 PM »
Dude!

Today I went to National Forestry Authority just outside Kampala and spoke with some of the researchers I know; here in East Africa there is now a growing focus on native fruit species and for that reason they have decided to work on improving 4 great fruit species. The species where selected based on several criteria, mainly their great taste and from Uganda the following were chosen for the programme;

3. Vitex doniana
4. Saba comorensis

Currently they have started selling C. albidum and C. schweinfurthii seedlings; soon the others will follow as well (Saba comorensis can be propagated by cuttings as well). I look forward to the trials starting within the next months and will keep everyone posted.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »
Don't think my white starapples germinated either. Have 2 very large Canarium schweinfurthii from Soren. I have also 3 small trees of Vitex doniana that are growing nicely also. Just need to get some Saba comorensis and more white starapples to complete my Ugandan series collection.  :D

Oscar, I still recall you telling me one seed had germinated in transit? But I do believe many overwater the African species and thereby kills off the seeds in an early germination stage. Never the less I had a good germination on them (75%) but unfortunately it was the only time so far I had received seeds. Hopefully that will change soon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:58:05 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »
thanks for the interesting news, Soren!  i've never tasted any of these fruits
but would love to some day.....

Good luck with the new developments.....

Fang

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »

Oscar, I still recall you telling me one seed had germinated in transit? But I do believe many overwater the African species and thereby kills off the seeds in an early germination stage. Never the less I had a good germination on them (75%) but unfortunately it was the only time so far I had received seeds. Hopefully that will change soon.

Soren, no such thing as over watering here. All plants dependent on rain. So could have been over rained. Maybe i can get some more from you?
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Soren, thank you for the report, very exciting news. Lots of luck and best wishes.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
Great to hear these will be more readily available in years/decades to come. I would love to try white star-apple one day, but will let the serious growers and dispersers have first shot at any seeds. I think they may already be in FNQ, but would not be easy to access, or may have been taken down by the weather... Anyways, with a few dozen Junglesops up I think I need another African species.

Also, I have just picked up Cola gabonensis - does anyone know much about it?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »

Soren, no such thing as over watering here. All plants dependent on rain. So could have been over rained. Maybe i can get some more from you?

;-) Oscar I will let you know when I get White Star Apple seeds again - the GYMs and Aframomums are on the way (I am currently in Denmark). And Bruce - I still have some Aframomum sp. if you are interested.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:08:49 AM »

3. Vitex doniana
4. Saba comorensis

I read, that Saba comorensis pulp is extremely sour. Is it true?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 04:58:52 AM »
Not my opinion; more like passionfuit sour.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 05:08:08 AM »
Sounds much better,
I hope, that I will find the source, where I can buy some saba senegalensis, or saba comorensis seeds finally.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01:55 AM »
Won't know - it is very rare for me to get seeds.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
Radoslav ,
These are seasonal fruits at the Kenyan coast. We usualy see them at the markets from May to september.
Mostly no one grows them, They get them from the forests and sell the fruits.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 05:07:58 AM »
I actually managed to get my hands on 4 saba comorensis fruits - these are from a northern district in Uganda and were selected for size. I will post a photo of some seeds during the weekend.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
I actually managed to get my hands on 4 saba comorensis fruits - these are from a northern district in Uganda and were selected for size. I will post a photo of some seeds during the weekend.

Nice can't wait to see the photos.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
3. Vitex doniana
4. Saba comorensis

what are common names? fruit description?

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »

Sound beautiful Soren, I would like to buy or trade for this large fruit Uganda ecotype for my landophile breeding zoo! How was the taste of this fruit compare to monkey orange? :D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 02:11:14 AM »
The fruits had fermented when I received them, but that better than getting dried out seeds; so I didn't taste them. These were huge compared to what I have seen before.

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:33 AM »
The Canarium is such an easy plant , grows fast and totally drought resistant , thanks Soren.
Hate to say the White star apple didn't make it , no germination or maybe too much water...who knows...

Luc I managed to germinate one from 5 seeds. It's about 15cm tall now, and has started to branch out. Was sewn in pure seed raising mix--no pearlite or sand. Lot's heat. Germinated in hothouse.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
NFA failed to propagate Saba by cuttings; they did use root-hormone.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:41:17 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk