Author Topic: Grafting Knife  (Read 30109 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Knife
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
Regardless of what kind of knife one uses for grafting, the most important thing is that it be SHARP.  A good knife will allow the user to achieve good cambial contact with the cuts, but the type of knife has a far less significant effect on success than the condition (growth mode) of the scion and rootstock.

I use a good quality 'automatic' pocket knife.  It springs open with one hand (illegal in some places).  I tried a grafting knife that's only beveled on one side, but it wouldn't cut a straight line in rootstock cleft grafts.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
Regardless of what kind of knife one uses for grafting, the most important thing is that it be SHARP.  A good knife will allow the user to achieve good cambial contact with the cuts, but the type of knife has a far less significant effect on success than the condition (growth mode) of the scion and rootstock.

I use a good quality 'automatic' pocket knife.  It springs open with one hand (illegal in some places).  I tried a grafting knife that's only beveled on one side, but it wouldn't cut a straight line in rootstock cleft grafts.

that's so gangster....those things should be outlawed!  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2015, 03:17:29 AM »
I just found out the Victorinox "grafting" knives don't lock the blade while "better" grafting knives do. The AM Leonard one looks like it locks. Is that true?

Which ones fyliu? Even Tina knives don't lock. Apparently, gardening knives makers don't think knife locking is useful. I know of only one that locks, and yet only manually, is Opinel knives.
I'm using a due buoi budding knife. It doesn't lock either but it does take some force to close. It's just something I heard.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
The reason I like the Tina knives is the high quality carbon steel blade.  The two I mentioned can easily be sharpened to a point where you can shave.  Its the same reason barber's straight razors are made of a high quality carbon steel.  You can sharpen all day long on an inferior steel blade and never reach the edge you can on a super high quality carbon steel blade.  There is no comparison.  Making cleft cuts in 3/4" mango scions feel like cutting through butter with a red hot knife.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
that due buoi is scary to close!

it snaps shut like a damn mouse trap/guillotine

one time it snapped shut on my finger when I was closing it....it sucked.

the knife is good, but I don't like how hard it is to close.
I just found out the Victorinox "grafting" knives don't lock the blade while "better" grafting knives do. The AM Leonard one looks like it locks. Is that true?

Which ones fyliu? Even Tina knives don't lock. Apparently, gardening knives makers don't think knife locking is useful. I know of only one that locks, and yet only manually, is Opinel knives.
I'm using a due buoi budding knife. It doesn't lock either but it does take some force to close. It's just something I heard.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
I bought my grafting knife off of ken love. He was doing a grafting demo and was selling just a few he brought back from Japan. I love the dang thing. Makes some pretty great cuts.

I have a victornox still in the package as a backup when this gets lost... although I am hoping I never lose my little Japanese sidekick.

Edit: This looks like mine http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Grafting-Knife-Bonsai-Handed/dp/B000X9GDL8/ref=pd_ybh_4
So as much as I hoped it was forged by some ancient Japanese sword maker in Japan named Hattori Hanzo, it was probably more likely mass produced....  :'(.  Good news I can find another one when I eventually lose mine in the weeds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:05:16 AM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2015, 03:11:16 AM »
that due buoi is scary to close!

it snaps shut like a damn mouse trap/guillotine

one time it snapped shut on my finger when I was closing it....it sucked.

the knife is good, but I don't like how hard it is to close.

Antonini knives are also of excellent steel quality and make. But they also snap close like crazy. I have 2 Tinas one of which is the 605 and they too snap close pretty hard although not as hard as others mentioned here. I guess it's a cheap (least costly) trade off for a much more expensive locking mechanism such as the ever popular liner lock.

Thera

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
I use Tina fixed blades with wood handles--- they look like kitchen knives.
Har

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »
This is great! Post all your knife recommendations. Maybe I can get a backup knife. I don't really like the shape of a budding knife for grafting. The tapered part of a non-budding knife comes in handy to whittle away little pieces to make things fit in better.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
The best grafting knives are OPGK.  OPGK are truly the best grafting knifes.   

"OPGK" = "Other People's Grafting Knives"  They will typically be razor sharp... the lender of the OPGK being afraid of their knife being dulled by misuse may even volunteer to do the grafting for you to save the knife they spent hours sharpening.   ;)
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
When I took my first grafting class in the 80s I was told that I had to get a special knife for successful grafts. After spending a few 100 dollars on knifes I found that wasn't the case.I now use an utility knife that you can get from Lowes, Home Depot, etc for $10 or less. These are always sharp and ready to go. I recommend buying the cheapest replacement blades because they are usually thinner. Avoid the ones labeled heavy or extra heavy duty. So if you don't own a grafting knife go to a big box store and find the one that fits your hand the best. I recommend either a locking or fixed so it doesn't close on you while in use. Also when you cut yourself and you will if you graft enough the utility knife makes nice clean cuts that heal fast! I'm sure you can find 100s of tips and suggestions on grafting knifes. I'm just sharing with you what works for me and I typically have a 90 % or greater success rate. I'm including some photos of my grafting tools and a few successful grafts. My #1 tip is just graft! The more you practice the better you will get!
Thanks,
Ed

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »
edself65 THANKS !! great post

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301382737299

here is a link to the grafting knife I just bought

I already have several knives, but it's always nice to have another sharp back up knife.

I had this exact knife before, and I really liked it...it' not the best knife in the world, but for $20 including shipping, it's well worth it.

You can't go wrong with this simple knife...and the seller has tons of transactions with an impeccable feedback rating.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
I got an Opinel No 8 off of Amazon for like $12 and so far I love it. It comes sharpened to a double bevel, but a little time on the diamond plate and it's down to a nice single bevel edge. The carbon steel is so much easier to put a good edge on compared to a stainless blade. As was mentioned earlier in the thread it does have a little locking ring mechanism which is fairly simple but effective at keeping the knife open or closed. I'll update once I've done a few grafts with it, but so far $12 well spent.
Dom

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »
I use a phone cord lanyard to keep my knife at my side can just drop it and it's hanging right at my hip, never lost one yet! Just becareful not to cut yourself! And Adam putting a carbon blade in a potato is like seasoning a cast iron skillet, it keeps it clean and makes it hold an edge better and longer! Try it you'll agree.
Joe

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2015, 01:58:02 AM »
I've been looking at the Opinel carbon knives for the last few weeks. I didn't look it up when mentioned in previous posts. I was going to use it as a pocket knife.

What about the curved part? Can't really use that portion for grafting, right?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2015, 02:06:40 AM »
When I took my first grafting class in the 80s I was told that I had to get a special knife for successful grafts. After spending a few 100 dollars on knifes I found that wasn't the case.I now use an utility knife that you can get from Lowes, Home Depot, etc for $10 or less. These are always sharp and ready to go. I recommend buying the cheapest replacement blades because they are usually thinner. Avoid the ones labeled heavy or extra heavy duty. So if you don't own a grafting knife go to a big box store and find the one that fits your hand the best. I recommend either a locking or fixed so it doesn't close on you while in use. Also when you cut yourself and you will if you graft enough the utility knife makes nice clean cuts that heal fast! I'm sure you can find 100s of tips and suggestions on grafting knifes. I'm just sharing with you what works for me and I typically have a 90 % or greater success rate. I'm including some photos of my grafting tools and a few successful grafts. My #1 tip is just graft! The more you practice the better you will get!
Thanks,
Ed

Ed I got a nasty cut when grafting a peach a couple of years ago, now I use a butcher's glove when I'm doing it--or using things like grinders etc. Stainless steel, cheap and gives you a lot of mobility.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »
I tried using razor blades, and while they work I don't like handling them. I bought an "Organic tool Co" and "Antonini" off Ebay and the Organic is the sharpest knife I've ever seen. Easily cuts any seedling. At $17 they're hard to beat.

Regards,

Gary

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:52 PM »
A cylindrical, ceramic rod or extremely-blunted, fine, rat tail wood file, under very light pressure, can be used to sharpen a curved blade, razor sharp. Fine sand paper could be used between the finger tips, or over the edge of your finger, if you are very disciplined. The paper, without grit can also be used to create a fine edge. Clogged, belt and drum sanders would be physically possible to use, but I would be very apprehensive about ruing a better knife. There are also wet stones, shaped like spheres, held between the fingers.

All kinds of literal garbage can be used to cut bark and hold scionwood, but it is also good form to sterilize the knife, as for surgery.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301382737299

here is the seller i go to for cheap knives..

i just bought one...mine is getting dull, and I'm too lazy and inept to sharpen it...

i still need to learn how to do it properly, i've been relying on my friend who does it for me  :-[

but anyhow, this is a good, cheap knife...I've bought about 4 of them so far.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2016, 09:55:16 PM »
I was gonna say send me all your dull knives to keep. That's before I read that you have a friend that sharpens them. Haha

I have a budding knife, but the AM Lenard knife is a plain grafting knife without the bark lifter. The lack of the bark lifter is good for certain cuts I like to do when grafting. I would get this one as an extra if I grafted more.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »
I have to say that I've tried all of the above and more including the Tina knives which I have 2 that are now just part of my collection ... doing nothing. I have adopted the Opinel knives because I found that they worked rather well in all situations. I liked Opinel so much that I even shared some with my friends here on this forum. BUT it looks like I've found what I've been dreaming of for a long time now.

My quest here is to find a knife that is relatively safe (with a locking mechanism and non poking) for a non pro grafter and that cuts as well as a utility knife. So it's been a while that I've been on the hunt for a square tip knife that really cuts. Recently, I accidentally came across this knife and ordered one. I added my only negative comment on the image. The locking mechanism could be a bit faulty, but if you really snap it open, it will lock fine. It is now my EDC and my "official" grafting knife. :)

I bought also this one for some eventual INTENSIVE grafting jobs but haven't tried it yet. It is rugged, very sharp and should do fine.

Edited: Tina knives are excellent in all except that they are extremely dangerous when closing. They just SNAP close like a mouse trap.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:59:26 PM by kh0110 »
Thera

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
I used my victornox today for the first time. After opening the package I quickly realized the bevel is make for left handers...

I bought it on amazon, it wasn't labelled a left handed.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
I used my victornox today for the first time. After opening the package I quickly realized the bevel is make for left handers...

Are you trying to cut towards your body or cut away from your body?

At first, I too thought that the bevel was on the wrong side.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 01:14:55 PM »

Are you trying to cut towards your body or cut away from your body?

At first, I too thought that the bevel was on the wrong side.

I was always taught away. I believe my best (and most memorable) lesson was from Joe Sable at CRFG  :)

What do most people do. I would be worried about cutting towards myself, especially with hardwoods.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:44:47 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »