Author Topic: Grafting Knife  (Read 30190 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Knife
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
Victorinox and other jack knife types are handy for small aounts of grafting, but if you are going to be working all day frequently, wood-handled fixed blades are less tiring and safer.  If you avoid letting the handles soak up much water, they can last a lifetime of constant use.

Be prepared to spend about $30 to $40 apiece (AM Leonard):
A straight edge for venering and clefting,
a rounded edge for budding.

Disposable razors are good for soft scions and for slitting soft rootstocks for clefts.
Har

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
I agree with you, safety is an issue. I recently bought this box cutter from biglots for $9, it is the best I have seen, blade is carbon steel and very hard and sharp, it does not twist and I was able to cut thru 2" guava and Cherimoya wood, worked perfectly. May be in the future I will invest into expensive knives, right now its doing a great job.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
Good advice. Thanks. I guess there is a big difference between the backyard grafter who cranks out a couple dozen grafts a week vs the commercial grafter who does a few hundred a day :-).

What's the best way to keep the blade sharp?

Victorinox and other jack knife types are handy for small aounts of grafting, but if you are going to be working all day frequently, wood-handled fixed blades are less tiring and safer.  If you avoid letting the handles soak up much water, they can last a lifetime of constant use.

Disposable razors are good for soft scions and for slitting soft rootstocks for clefts.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Your stone and belt technique works great--- that's what I've long used. 

I recently bought a small, simple, green-handled sharpening tool (that came with a little oil dispenser), from Ace I think, that one slides hard down the length of the edge, sort of how chefs sharpen their knives.  I like it.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
Dulling out your blades? Cookiemonster/Guanabanus,

And not sharing some pics of some grafts???

U guys remind me of "mouth" from Goonies, how he was hiding all the gems on the pirate ship...I guess loose lips sink ships  ;D ;)

Good advice. Thanks. I guess there is a big difference between the backyard grafter who cranks out a couple dozen grafts a week vs the commercial grafter who does a few hundred a day :-).

What's the best way to keep the blade sharp?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Good grafting knives?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
Hi, guys, I'm looking for a source of good grafting knives not too pricy, to intend my first grafts and practice before I graft real tropical plants. Share what you used and alternatives if you have some.

Thanks

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Good grafting knives?
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
The link is to the knife that I just recently purchased.  As stated in another thread...I love it and don't know why I waited this long to get one.  It makes one hell of a difference.
http://www.amleo.com/victorinox-folding-budding-grafting-knife/p/7475E/

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
The problem is that they don't ship to Canada...I  tried to do a research on ebay and didn't found it.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
A.M. Leonard catalog has a couple of pages of grafting and budding knives.  X-acto handle plus injector blade also comes in handy for tender stuff.
Har

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
I agree with above. For soft green wood nothing like a Schick injector blade and an Excel No 2 handle.  They are thin and flexible and they hold the edge. Even after 40-50 cuts, I pass it on my leather strop and back to sharpness again for another 40-50 cuts.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Grafter-Garden/dp/B000687AUY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340129391&sr=8-3&keywords=grafting+knife+victorinox

If you search the threads, someone had a good, high carbon blade knife they found for a good price on the internet.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
Hi Samual,

I have used Razor blades, utility knife and a thin bladed kitchen knife for grafting with very high success rate.

My humble opinion...you don't need an expensive  grafting knife to succeed in grafting ;)

Good luck with your future grafts :)...practice makes perfect ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »
Thanks guys!

CTMIAMI, I think I have a richard knife that looks alike you shick injector knife, I'll try with it and see if it works great.

Mr.clean, I looked on Amazon, but each time it's the same thing, they don't ship to canada....

Jack, I tried to use a kitchen knife as you said, but I cut myself severly :( mabye it wasn't cutting enough, practice might be the thing too :) Thanks by the way, pray for me please ;D

Finally I bought a cheap one ebay, just to try out here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grafting-and-Budding-Knife-/160801825790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25708923fe

Feel free to comment!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »
I also heard of people using utility knives with replaceable blades. A sharp straight edge is what you need. I'm not sure what curved edges in budding knives are good for. I know about using the spatula edge on the back for lifting bark.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »
Maybye??? the only thing I don't like with them is that the blades are fexible >:(

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »

Finally I bought a cheap one ebay, just to try out here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grafting-and-Budding-Knife-/160801825790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25708923fe

Feel free to comment!

I bought that knife and returned it.  You may wish to read this post:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=871.0
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

Jack, I tried to use a kitchen knife as you said, but I cut myself severly :( mabye it wasn't cutting enough, practice might be the thing too :) Thanks by the way, pray for me please ;D

Sorry to hear about that...I have Been there and done that in several occasions :(

Sure thing...will pray for you ;D ;D ;D

BTW...the grafting knife u bought looks great 8) When the blade get's blunt...sure to use a sharpening stone to sharpen the blades before you use it...for precise cuts. ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
Dang.... you weren't kidding.  Due to the slight curve in the blade, my leather belt is now all cut up  ;D   way harder than a straight blade but I've gotten a little better with it though.

...Another test is to lightly drop the blade onto your thumbnail; the blade should stick rather than slide. I use a stone and a thrift store leather belt. Takes some practice.
Tim

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:01 PM »
Curved blades require a honing rod I think.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
I purchased two grafting knives during the holidays and figured I would share a little review of both..

The first is an Italian Budding Knife made by "Antonini" - Wooden handle, hard steel blade that takes and keeps a good edge.  The nicer aspects of this one is the sturdy feel of the handle (larger than a Victorox, and the width of the blade (nice and wide). $30 w/shipping.

http://www.italianseedandtool.com/c=NAmE2D9UQd1oqFY68LGnZMXju/product/TGK07/Pro-Grafting-Budding-Knife.html

The second one is a German Budding Knife made by "Otter-Messer" - Hard wood handle, hard carbon steel blade that is scary sharp.  This one is a little thinner in the handle and blade but makes up for it in quality workmanship. $50 w/shipping.

http://www.worldknives.com/products/ottermesser-horticultural-budding-grafting-knife-m130-1551.html

All in all these two are the best knives I have found overall.  I own two Lisa knives, two Victorox, two Cheap Ebay Grafting knives, and now these! For the record I have a collection of other knives.. 

I know it can be argued that a disposable razor blade works fine but I enjoy the feel of using a tool specific for the job..

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Patrick I have the Otter Messer and the bark lifting plastic blade broke the first day. The metal or brass bark lifters are much better.  Regarding the "right tool for the job"  All depends on the particular grafting job. For example here in Dade County at this time of the year there a crews top working trees. These crews of two persons do about 100 trees a day about 3-4 grafts each tree so the do 300-400 grafts a day in the field. They all used the Shick blade. One blade last them the whole day and is the most adequate (specific) tool for that particular task of veneer grafting in green wood less than 5-6 month old.  I mean you can used other blades, and I do, but I always go back to the Shick blade for this particular job.  Now I found a small strop that I keep in my tool box and every 2-3 trees I clean and strop the blade a few times and it works like a dream.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »
I purchased two grafting knives during the holidays and figured I would share a little review of both..

The first is an Italian Budding Knife made by "Antonini" - Wooden handle, hard steel blade that takes and keeps a good edge.  The nicer aspects of this one is the sturdy feel of the handle (larger than a Victorox, and the width of the blade (nice and wide). $30 w/shipping.

http://www.italianseedandtool.com/c=NAmE2D9UQd1oqFY68LGnZMXju/product/TGK07/Pro-Grafting-Budding-Knife.html

The second one is a German Budding Knife made by "Otter-Messer" - Hard wood handle, hard carbon steel blade that is scary sharp.  This one is a little thinner in the handle and blade but makes up for it in quality workmanship. $50 w/shipping.

http://www.worldknives.com/products/ottermesser-horticultural-budding-grafting-knife-m130-1551.html

All in all these two are the best knives I have found overall.  I own two Lisa knives, two Victorox, two Cheap Ebay Grafting knives, and now these! For the record I have a collection of other knives.. 

I know it can be argued that a disposable razor blade works fine but I enjoy the feel of using a tool specific for the job..

Patrick:  Let's get together and T-Bud graft some Mahachanok mangos.   :D
www.FLMangos.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:42 AM »
For those who do a little grafting ----  I use a regular Swiss Army knife. The blades are high quality stainless steel so will hold an edge longer. I have a sharpening stone but all knives can be sharpened on the bottom of a rice bowl (non-plastic please) or teacup.
Or coffee mug or salad bowl.

I am going to buy one of these and see how it works out  --  http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=straight%20edge%20razor&clk_rvr_id=434269930286

Get one of these for cutting down expired banana plants closer to the base ---  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wire+saw&_sacat=0&_odkw=straight+edge+razor&_osacat=0&clk_rvr_id=434269930286     Bought one and am using it

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
CT where do you get the Schick refills? Are they firm enough to use and hold an edge on things other than avocado?

ty23

• Bridgeville, DE. USDA zone 7
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk