Author Topic: Grafting video  (Read 1380 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Grafting video
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:32 AM »
I recently bought a grafting video titled "Techniques of Grafting" for $12.  It is a video produced by the Orange County California Rare Fruit Growers.   

It is a nice video for the novice grafter.  It covered:
Splice graft
Bark graft
Cleft graft
Air Layering
Clonal Propagation (clonal stock)
Scion wood
Graft tools

Unfortunately, the video did not cover veneer or t-bud grafts.  But I guess these techniques can be found on Youtube  (i.e. Dr. Richard Campbell's video on mango veneer grafting).

Nevertheless, I found the video to be very informative.  I wish I had purchased this video earlier when I started this new hobby.

In case anyone is interested in obtaining this video:
http://www.ocfruit.com
http://www.ocfruit.com/files/DVD_ORDER_FORM.pdf
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:48:00 AM by wslau »
Warren

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting video
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:47 AM »
How much detail does it have? I bought it but never sat down to watch it.
Does it tell you how to wrap the graft to make it tight? That's one trick I see beginning grafters miss.
They are all very experienced grafters so I'm sure they covered pretty much everything. Maybe not preparing mango scions for cutting.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting video
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:17 AM »
fyliu,

I thought the video had pretty good details and hints.  Its 60 minutes... so about 8 minutes for each subject.

In the splice (whip) graft section...after the scion is wrapped with parafilm, they also use parafilm to secure the splice graft.  They specifically mention "stretch and pull this parafilm"...which to me means make it tight, but do not state that tightness is absolutely important...it is only implied.  The grafter then secures the graft with additional row of wrapping (white nursery tie tape), since parafilm is not that strong at the graft union.

In the cleft graft 1 video, they wrap the scion and graft union the same way as the splice graft...However this grafter gives the graft union rigidity with electrical tape instead of nursery tie tape!

You are correct, the intricacies of scion preparation for mangos is not addressed (i.e. leaving the leaf-trimmed scion on the tree for a week before cutting the scion off the tree).  Only citrus and avocado scions are addressed...much different technique in my opinion than mangos.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:24:45 AM by wslau »
Warren