Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general

(1/35) > >>

CaliLowWater:
Hi guys!

I've been doing some research on guava for a while now. Most of the information I can find seems to say that white guava varieties seem to be sweeter than pink/red varieties. Is that true? I live in San Diego and my neighbor's white variety (she does not know which variety it is, she got an air layer from a colleague years ago) is amazing. Sweet, aromatic, and creamy. Apple shaped, small do medium size, the biggest are the size of a small apple. I have tried many red/pink varities growing here in San Diego, and can't detect any sweetness at all. Yes, they do smell like guava, but no sweetness. And these are fully ripe (yellow outside, soft).

So, which pink/red variety is considered the sweetest one out there, comparable to some of the sweeter white, creamy varieties, like Mexican Cream guava? I think I prefer soft varieties, but would be open to the crunchy ones too.

Finally, does anyone grow a *grafted* Mexican Cream guava? I just bought a grafted one from a local nursery, which got it from La Verne Nursery here in California. There are two fruit ripening on it which are still small, green, smooth skinned, and pear shaped so far (I'll post a picture later). It is supposed to be one of the sweetest varieties out there.  When searching for more information I ran into all kinds of videos and pictures claiming to portray Mexican Cream guavas, but they all look very different. Most of them seem to be round fruit, some have bumpy skin when not fully ripe, some have smooth skin. Many people on Youtube and on various websites admit that they "probably" have a Mexican Cream as they grew their tree from seed or someone gave it to them. Even different online nurseries have different pictures of the fruit of the "Mexican Cream" variety. So, it's very confusing.

So, what does a "true" Mexican Cream guava look and taste like? What's the origin of this variety? I.e. where was it first developed and by whom? Does anyone have any experience with La Verne nursery's "Mexican Cream" guava? Thanks in advance!

sc4001992:
I purchased a mexican cream guava from Home Depot, nice 5 gallon plant but no fruits yet.

brian:
My "Mexican Cream" from Lowes is a pink guava. 

Timbogrow:
I got a Mexican cream guava from lowes last year and it had a fruit last year but the rodents beat me to it. It looked/smelled real good. I'll bag them this year if I get any.

CaliLowWater:
Here are two developing fruit that came with the tree when I bought it last week. The tree is already over 6 feet tall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version