Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

tubers on topic or off

<< < (2/4) > >>

nullzero:

--- Quote from: tabbydan on September 25, 2012, 04:27:54 PM ---I've always been curious about Black Salsify.  I've tried "normal" salsify which is not bad but pretty bland.  I should check that one out.

--- End quote ---

You should grow it for sure! After you taste them boiled you will see why :), should be cold hardy in your zone as well. Typically the plants are harvested for the roots on the second year. You can find seeds for it from Adaptive seeds. If you plan to grow them, I would recommend getting at least 20 plants going. Since you can harvest them for the roots anytime of the year.

Mike T:
My yacon struggled in the hottest as well as the wettest time of the year and I found chinese jicama more productive and versatile.I also grow WI arrowroot,laos canna arrowroot,qld arrowroot and a variety of sweet potatoes.People often forget choko has tubers at the base of the vine that are of good quality and probably more worthwhile than the fruit.I did have 4 different yam species but found them to be too vigorous.So far as aroid tubers go my garden has several taro types and xanthosoma.No longer do I grow cassava as ther are only so many starchy root crops you can use.

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: Mike T on September 26, 2012, 06:05:40 AM ---My yacon struggled in the hottest as well as the wettest time of the year and I found chinese jicama more productive and versatile.I also grow WI arrowroot,laos canna arrowroot,qld arrowroot and a variety of sweet potatoes.People often forget choko has tubers at the base of the vine that are of good quality and probably more worthwhile than the fruit.I did have 4 different yam species but found them to be too vigorous.So far as aroid tubers go my garden has several taro types and xanthosoma.No longer do I grow cassava as ther are only so many starchy root crops you can use.

--- End quote ---

Grow yacon here all the time...no struggle. Sounds like they don't like your soil. I like yacon a lot more than jicama. Yacon is sweeter and juicier. Also jicama can climb and run out of control here.

Tim:
Does anyone eat canna rhizomes or are we the only weird ones? 

BMc:

--- Quote from: Tim on September 27, 2012, 02:09:05 AM ---Does anyone eat canna rhizomes or are we the only weird ones?

--- End quote ---

Canna edulis - Queensland arrowroot - is a good eat. I only grow dwarf green and black versions of the flowering cannas, so that doesnt make it worth the time diggin them up. Others here do eat the full sized flowering types.
I've also been growing purple fleshed sweet potatoes from Mike, which are an irridescent pink and white inside. They are absolutely delicious and sweet on their own. Absolutely destroys the beauregard and otehr orange varieties. I'm also trying an oak leaved white sweet potato for fun after a pal told me they were not only edible, but surprisingly one of the best he's tried, after he picked them up as an ornamental.
I also had a good harvest of cocoyam this winter. It was my first and I didnt know how to use them. By the time I found out how to use they were not much good for eating, so most have gone back into the ground and I'll be more savvy next season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version