Author Topic: Posh-Te on Soursop  (Read 1460 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Posh-Te on Soursop
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:55:47 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone have experience grafting A. scleroderma onto A. muricata?  I've heard that this is a good idea in Florida, since A. scleroderma apparently dislikes our soil.  I have lots of experience grafting mango, but I have absolutely no experience grafting Annona.  Any tips or tricks?  Standard cleft graft, side cleft, veneer graft?

Best regards,
Scott 

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Posh-Te on Soursop
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:27 AM »
You may want to research/test if mountain soursop is compatible. They are more vigorous and handle colder temperatures. Anonnas are relatively easy to graft. I do cleft and veneers.
Brandon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »
Leafy scions in warm weather.  Of course bagged and shaded--- around 70% shade.
Har

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:09:08 PM »
You may want to research/test if mountain soursop is compatible. They are more vigorous and handle colder temperatures. Anonnas are relatively easy to graft. I do cleft and veneers.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have some seeds growing, but it will be a year or so before they are large enough to graft anything on. 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »
Leafy scions in warm weather.  Of course bagged and shaded--- around 70% shade.

Thanks Har :-)

Do you mean that I should keep all the leaves on the scions?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
No.  Leave just 3-5 leaves, each cut back to about 1/3 their original length, with clean sharp clippers or scissors.
Har

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have some seeds growing, but it will be a year or so before they are large enough to graft anything on.

I got some graft size montana stock. I support the experiment. Swing by next time you get a chance.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:33:54 AM »
Hey Noochka1

Glad you started this thread as I was planning on trying this exact combo this year. I think soursop might be a good compatibility as the poshte leaves seem like giant soursop leaves. I have two poshte trees 1 in a 7 gallon pot and another in the ground. Both had some significant die back when pruned and really scared me that I might lose them. Poshte is a rarity and took me almost a year to acquire them, I hope we are successful in this effort as it would be great to have some source for this rare fruit. 👍

-joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 02:00:50 AM »
They are close relatives and there is a good chance of success I think. The way Har described it is also the technique often used here for soursop.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 08:02:18 AM »
Many plants can be grafted on plants of another genus, within the same botanical family.

Poshte' or Cawesh, Annona scleroderma, is a true Annona (Attae Group), with narrow-pointed flower buds, with 3 petals (sometimes with minuscule three vestigial petals between the noticeable petals), and sweet-smelling flower aroma.  These species tend to be interbreedable, within the "group."

Soursop and Mountain-Soursop, and many other species, are in the "old" Guanabanus genus, which most botanists prefer to call Annona (Eu-Annona Group).  These have huge heavy flowers with 6 wide petals, enormous pollen grains, and a chloroformic / alcoholic stench. 

These two separate genera, or separate Groups, do not share insect pollinators, and humans have not succeded in getting viable seeds from cross-pollinating species in these different groups.  So they are NOT "closely related,"  but may well be graftable anyway.

If similarity of leaves determined inter-graftability, you could graft soursop onto many Ficus species.  Not so.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
Thanks for the correction and for some reason I was thinking we were talking about A.montana

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
Many plants can be grafted on plants of another genus, within the same botanical family.

Poshte' or Cawesh, Annona scleroderma, is a true Annona (Attae Group), with narrow-pointed flower buds, with 3 petals (sometimes with minuscule three vestigial petals between the noticeable petals), and sweet-smelling flower aroma.  These species tend to be interbreedable, within the "group."

Soursop and Mountain-Soursop, and many other species, are in the "old" Guanabanus genus, which most botanists prefer to call Annona (Eu-Annona Group).  These have huge heavy flowers with 6 wide petals, enormous pollen grains, and a chloroformic / alcoholic stench. 

These two separate genera, or separate Groups, do not share insect pollinators, and humans have not succeded in getting viable seeds from cross-pollinating species in these different groups.  So they are NOT "closely related,"  but may well be graftable anyway.

If similarity of leaves determined inter-graftability, you could graft soursop onto many Ficus species.  Not so.
Does Rollinia belong to the attea group? The flowers look kind of similar. I do know what you’re talking about
Cheers!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
Rollinia species are not Attae, but do share pollinating insects with the Attae.  I don't know of any viable seeds being produced by hand-pollinating between Attae species and Rollinia species.
Har

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
Rollinia species are not Attae, but do share pollinating insects with the Attae.  I don't know of any viable seeds being produced by hand-pollinating between Attae species and Rollinia species.
There has been talk on a custard apple x Rollinia cross... reticulata x mucosa(I demand that they rename annona mucosa into a different termmucosa is too pessimistic...)
Cheers!

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 02:37:04 PM »

I got some graft size montana stock. I support the experiment. Swing by next time you get a chance.

Thanks, Sayyid.  I'll do that :-)

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 04:49:25 PM »
I have grafted A.scleroderma onto A.montana over a year ago. The grafted plant looks very healthy,no sign of incompatability so far.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »
I grafted A.scleroderma onto annona reticulata back in the early 90s and it was very aggressive grower.Flowered profusely with thousands of blooms each year but never set one fruit,even with hand pollination ,it must need cross pollination.The tree became massive with thick canopy you could not see through.It did have beautiful leaves that reminded me of durain.In the early 2000s it tip over in a tropical storm I pulled it back up with a tractor and it continued grow aggressively on the reticulata attaining a trunk more than a foot thick .Still acting like a mule, no fruit but so lush then came hurricane Charley over it went again bad time for me in my life so I removed it along with other things I should have not.
 Some time later I was down at the fruit and spice park where I saw them fruiting (scrawny barely living small trees) but fruiting cross pollination? You know that I kinda pissed me off .