Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Chiletepin

<< < (2/2)

Pokeweed:
I didn't even consider that there might be "improved" chilipetins. Some call them chilipequins (pekane). Here they start fruiting about May and they stop with frost. They literally grow where a bird poops seeds, so they are everywhere. Our bad freeze last Winter - about -18C killed them to the ground, but they regrew and were fruiting about 3 months later.
I hope you never find a rattler in one of your chilis! D

Vinci:
It's a very interesting testimony that you offer Pokeweed !

When I say, I aim to improve Chiltepin, it's not because I find they are mediocre, but rather because I found that they unfit with my climate, soil,..  and I want to see how frost hardiness traits can be transmitted to next generations.
Other exemple of plant I like, but doesn't seem to like my soil: Chilopsis. That's the reason why I graft this species on x Chitalpa ( it self grafted on Catalpa rootstock - Catalpa species grow very well here  )

Looking a bit around for some more info about this chilies, I have found that it sets much more fruits in presence of some mycorrhizae like Glomus fasciculatus.  Maybe they are absent in my area..

Pokeweed:
Catalpas grow fine around Houston as well, although they might be a different variety.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version