Author Topic: abiu cold tolerance  (Read 12914 times)

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: abiu cold tolerance
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
After tasting my own first Abiu I became addicted , but you guys are confusing me with all these E's , L's , Z's , Gray's and name it .....can anybody please post a " Abiu for dummies " list so I ( and I am sure a lot more people ) have an idea what you are talking about .

I second Luc's request! An Abiu Who's Who with Min Temp would be extremely useful.
Thera

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »
Mike,
I haver read and I have heard that a single tree will fruit by itself. Now, my own experience with the seedlings I have. I gave one tree to a friend of mine, and he got thousands of flowers and no fruit. I got thousands (a bit exaggeration, I did not count them) of flowers on both my trees next to each other. I got approximately 30 fruits in each tree.
It seems that there is a tremendous variation with abiu as far as productivity and cold tolerance. That's just my guess! I may be wrong!
If you can get another abiu, your odds of getting fruit increase! I like to grow trees in pairs! Currently, I have two abiu seedlings from different varieties in the same pot! Pollination will not be an issue in the future, I hope!
I also plant a single seedling after coming back from Hawaii ten years ago,  it started flowering the third year and had been flowering almost all year with them til today,  0 fruit set so far I just plant another two seedlings side by side they are quite young yet, however one single seedling from the same batch I brought back from Hawaii, I gave it away and has set a few fruit by itself,  maybe some trees are. Self incompatibles.....
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »
Luc my mental abiu classification goes a bit like this.All the good named ones are spherical,1lb to 2.5lb, low latex,rich taste,low bruising and few seeds as well as being productive.The rest get called brumbies and the difference between good and bad is dramatic.The broad leafed lowest latex ones like E4 have thin shiny skin and nipples and yellow flesh.The other group is z4,z2 (marisa?),gray,inca gold and one or two others.They are similar to each other but vary a bit in color,taste,how they ripen etc in a modest way.Gray was sent to Whitman and his fruit had rave reviews and no doubt offspring will be in Florida.
Poorer abiu stain and bruise easily,are elongate,small,seedy and have annoying latex.They seem to be almost true to type from seeds.
Z4 has some cold tolerance and can grow in the sub tropics as can marisa but the others haven't been tried.Thee are 1kg ones from Brazil but it looks like they have much latex and are prone to bruising.There must be great south american ones that were the progenitors of the Australian ones and maybe even better types.No one can seem to find them.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
I assume that the good Abiu's in Australia are from Alan Carle's collecting along the Amazon, from Peru through northern Brazil, back in the late 1970's or early 1980's.  He may have shared some when he came back through Florida.  I got to meet him then. [He is from here originally.  He helped found the Rare Fruit Council of Australia.]

As per availability and variation in Brazil, I grew up eating small, latexy, very sweet ones around Manaus.  I once bought a whole case of small attractive, totally tasteless Abiu's at the farmers' market in Brasilia.
Har

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »
Mike,
I haver read and I have heard that a single tree will fruit by itself. Now, my own experience with the seedlings I have. I gave one tree to a friend of mine, and he got thousands of flowers and no fruit. I got thousands (a bit exaggeration, I did not count them) of flowers on both my trees next to each other. I got approximately 30 fruits in each tree.
It seems that there is a tremendous variation with abiu as far as productivity and cold tolerance. That's just my guess! I may be wrong!
If you can get another abiu, your odds of getting fruit increase! I like to grow trees in pairs! Currently, I have two abiu seedlings from different varieties in the same pot! Pollination will not be an issue in the future, I hope!
I also plant a single seedling after coming back from Hawaii ten years ago,  it started flowering the third year and had been flowering almost all year with them til today,  0 fruit set so far I just plant another two seedlings side by side they are quite young yet, however one single seedling from the same batch I brought back from Hawaii, I gave it away and has set a few fruit by itself,  maybe some trees are. Self incompatibles.....

Raul , your Hawaii one at my place  actually had one fruit after the Lancetilla one started to fruit ( nothing last year ) right now that damn tree is again totally covered with flowers , the Hawaii fruit was round and much smaller than the Lancetilla . I have now 5 fruiting Lancetillas , so , if I don't have a bumper crop soon Hawaii will get the axe .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
Mike,

Raul , your Hawaii one at my place  actually had one fruit after the Lancetilla one started to fruit ( nothing last year ) right now that damn tree is again totally covered with flowers , the Hawaii fruit was round and much smaller than the Lancetilla . I have now 5 fruiting Lancetillas , so , if I don't have a bumper crop soon Hawaii will get the axe .
ok Luc,I was refering to the single one in Hector's place looks he has been producing a few fruits of small size for a few years now how many dif varieties you have now?
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »
Har yes he was one of 5 I think and the tropical fruit research Station Kamerunga  people as well.Gray and Zapalla ended up with the good ones.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Mike,

ok Luc,I was refering to the single one in Hector's place looks he has been producing a few fruits of small size for a few years now how many dif varieties you have now?

Raul , 7 or 8 , the Lancetilla is the most vigorous one .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »

I am thinking marisa maybe gray variety and here is some interesting history of it.

Here are reported minimum temperatures from John Marshall who has a big orchard with trees experiencing quite low temperatures.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:59:29 AM by Mike T »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk