Author Topic: abiu cold tolerance  (Read 12804 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
abiu cold tolerance
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
I have two abius, both from PIN....one is called Caribou, the other is Harvest moon....

i just noticed that the harvest moon is super cold sensitive...it has bad leaf damage from a temperature dip of about 42f....and I even made sure to give it plenty of humidity, and a little protection from cold wind....

but the Caribou at the same location, was exposed to wind, without being shielded...and it fared much better, showing zero signs of leaf burn, and even has small flowers still forming all over....

it's interesting to see the variability of cold tolerance within this species.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: abiu cold tolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
Z4 does well here in Brisbane, but mine have yet to be exposed to anything below 7C. I have no doubt that any frost would wipe them out pretty much in a heartbeat.

Performs about the same as Inga, seems to have the same preferences also.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
I'm kind of amazed a plant from the amazon lived at 42F at all

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
My Z2 saw 38 last week with frost and still looks fine.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
My Z2 saw 38 last week with frost and still looks fine.
thanks for the info!  that's great news

i have some z4 seedlings, and they did fare much better than the harvest moon, only showing minimal damage on the new foliage.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »
Abiu fares very well when they are well established. My trees are flushing new growth despite the recent cold front, recently! No problems at all!
One trick is to plant them in the ground when they are at least 6 feet tall. Give them water every day and lots of organic stuff. I got fruits that were over 400 grams.

I recommend planting two (2) trees next to each other for cross pollination!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:09:59 PM by Berto »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
nice fruit Berto!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
Berto those fruit have the shine,shape and nipple of E4 from here.Is the foliage broadleaf like a mango and hang rather than be upright like most abius?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »
Adam,
One tree produces extra sweet fruits, and the other tree produces bigger fruits not as sweet as the first tree. I am extremely happy with these two trees. I am looking forward to fruiting Z 4 and Marisa. Abiu is such a beautiful tasty fruit. In southern Brasil, one (1) kilo of abiu costs the equivalent of approximately $ 25 US dollars.
Mike, my seedlings are from seeds that were sold to me as seeds from a seeding of an Z 2. Therefore, I am not sure the actual parentage of my two seedlings.
Yes, the leaves are broad and resemble a mango leaf. Yes, the leaves drop down. The tree is kind of upright and is a very good looking tree!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:16:53 AM by Berto »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »
Adam,
One tree produces extra sweet fruits, and the other tree produces bigger fruits not as sweet as the first tree. I am extremely happy with these two trees. I am looking forward to fruiting S 4 and Marisa. Abiu is such a beautiful tasty fruit. In southern Brasil, one (1) kilo of abiu costs the equivalent of approximately $ 25 US dollars.
Mike, my seedlings are from seeds that were sold to me as seeds from a seeding of an S 2. Therefore, I am not sure the actual parentage of my two seedlings.
Yes, the leaves are broad and resemble a mango leaf. Yes, the leaves drop down. The tree is kind of upright and is a very good looking tree!

Why is abiu so rare and expensive in Brazil?
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:55:29 PM »
During the recent cold snap we also got temperatures down to about 42-44F.  Two of my young jackfruit trees despite being in a protected location near the south side of the house, got some minor leaf burn /damage (Mitta and Red Morning).  Interestingly  the young Bangkok Lemon Jackfruit, in its unprotected location in the east yard, had no damage.  The larger Kari carambola tree had slight leaf damage.  The new leaves on my Kaimana lychee tree were killed yet the mature leaves looked perfect. 

The abiu seedling (2 inches tall) was untouched, whereas the 18 inch jackfruit seedlings right next to it suffered some minor leaf damage. 
Brad

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:04:49 PM »
Oscar,
Abiu is rare and considered an "exotic" fruit in the south of Brasil. The price I mentioned is the price for the Mercado Municipal in São Paulo. As you know, Brasil is a very large and diverse country. It is bigger than the US 48 contiguous states. Abiu is a fruit well known in the Amazon region. Most Brasilians do not know about the "rare" fruits from different regions. Most people are familiar with the common fruits. I am sure that the price of a kilo of abiu in Manaus is much less than a kilo of abiu in São Paulo.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
Oscar,
Abiu is rare and considered an "exotic" fruit in the south of Brasil. The price I mentioned is the price for the Mercado Municipal in São Paulo. As you know, Brasil is a very large and diverse country. It is bigger than the US 48 contiguous states. Abiu is a fruit well known in the Amazon region. Most Brasilians do not know about the "rare" fruits from different regions. Most people are familiar with the common fruits. I am sure that the price of a kilo of abiu in Manaus is much less than a kilo of abiu in São Paulo.

OK thanks Berto. I never saw any abius either in Manaus or Belem. Might have been there in wrong month? I think i was there in November.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:41:41 AM »
I have 3 fruiting Abiu trees and they all did very well in the 33 degree weather in 2009. I did not have a hard freeze on my property but it was cold for a good while. All had some leaf drop but no branch damage at all and all 3 fruited the next season. It is wise to plant small trees in a protected location but once they size up, I find them to be fairly cold tolerant

I have shown Abiu fruits to several Brazilians here in South Florida who had no idea that they were native to Brazil. Most had never seen one.  As Berto mentioned, Brazil is a huge country and they are not widely found as one would think!
FloridaGreenMan

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
We, the fruit enthusiastic, in the US are extra spoiled!  We have access to the best of the best from the entire fruit world!
We are blessed, and I am very appreciative of what we can get! Go abiu...Z4 when are you fruiting? (my seedlings are 4 inches tall...hahahahaahahahah

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
Abiu fares very well when they are well established. My trees are flushing new growth despite the recent cold front, recently! No problems at all!
One trick is to plant them in the ground when they are at least 6 feet tall. Give them water every day and lots of organic stuff. I got fruits that were over 400 grams.

I recommend planting two (2) trees next to each other for cross pollination!
Berto, I have one seedling. Is that a problem for the pollination?
Mike

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
My fairly well established abiu died back to a stick this past winter. It did not get very cold, maybe 4c minimum, but the cold was fairly sustained and was also very dry. It faired much worse in terms of cold when it was younger, but the mixture this past season was enough to knock it right back to a stump. Its shooting back slowly now and I'm contemplating cutting my losses with it and planting a new one.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
Mike,
I haver read and I have heard that a single tree will fruit by itself. Now, my own experience with the seedlings I have. I gave one tree to a friend of mine, and he got thousands of flowers and no fruit. I got thousands (a bit exaggeration, I did not count them) of flowers on both my trees next to each other. I got approximately 30 fruits in each tree.
It seems that there is a tremendous variation with abiu as far as productivity and cold tolerance. That's just my guess! I may be wrong!
If you can get another abiu, your odds of getting fruit increase! I like to grow trees in pairs! Currently, I have two abiu seedlings from different varieties in the same pot! Pollination will not be an issue in the future, I hope!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:51:47 AM »
There is tremendous genetic diversity in abius and this is expressed in cold tolerance,productivity and self fertility.Some developed in the wet tropics at 17 latitude failed in Darwin at 12 latitude and a more monsoonal  climate.In Brisbane some seedlings thrive and show no ill effects in winter yet others perish.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »
Mike,
Excellent information! Slowly, we are resolving this puzzle!
My understanding is that Z 4 is very productive. What about the cold tolerance? Is Z 4 the most cold tolerant, or E 4 performs a bit better? Thank you so much! The Australian Brasilian abiu connection is getting stronger and better every day! 8)

Wow! Look what I just found! Unbelievable! November 10, and a single left over fruit! I am glad I walked the orchard today! 280 grams of sweet tasty abiu from seedling # 1.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:18:58 AM by Berto »

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
Mike,
I haver read and I have heard that a single tree will fruit by itself. Now, my own experience with the seedlings I have. I gave one tree to a friend of mine, and he got thousands of flowers and no fruit. I got thousands (a bit exaggeration, I did not count them) of flowers on both my trees next to each other. I got approximately 30 fruits in each tree.
It seems that there is a tremendous variation with abiu as far as productivity and cold tolerance. That's just my guess! I may be wrong!
If you can get another abiu, your odds of getting fruit increase! I like to grow trees in pairs! Currently, I have two abiu seedlings from different varieties in the same pot! Pollination will not be an issue in the future, I hope!
Bero, you are right. I have to find some more seeds from another variety to grow at least one more seedling. Just to be on the safe side
Mike

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
Mike,

Do you know anything about the cold tolerance of the E4 abiu as compared to other varieties of Abiu?

Brad
Brad

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 04:13:02 AM »
Brad there are only a few trees of E4 left where the variety can be confirmed as 2 cyclones wiped out the growers who had them.They were never distributed or tested in southerly areas for cold tolerance and I don't know how they would compare with Z4 for tolerances.The biggest in the recent fruiting flush was not over 700g  whereas last year they averaged double the size with the biggest being around 1kg.
Z4 and E4 are heavy producers and produce well as isolated trees or when no are trees are flowering nearby,but better when they can outcross.They have no set season and produce fruit in flushed 2 to 4 times a year  concentrated when weather is wet and warm.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
Z2 still doing well for me. no leaf damage so far. I forgot to bring it into the greenhouse until a few days ago. I think we have been down to 32 degrees. It was a bit protected though. I had it up against the wall of my house. Not sure how much that may have helped.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »
After tasting my own first Abiu I became addicted , but you guys are confusing me with all these E's , L's , Z's , Gray's and name it .....can anybody please post a " Abiu for dummies " list so I ( and I am sure a lot more people ) have an idea what you are talking about .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north