Author Topic: Cyrtocarpa edulis  (Read 1169 times)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Cyrtocarpa edulis
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi! has anybody some experience of Cyrtocarpa edulis? I am trying to grow it from seeds, so far i have seen none sprouting. Do the seeds need scarification before planting? Any tips for germinating them? Then, is it a self-fertile tree? Welcome any knowledge about that tree. Thank you.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cyrtocarpa edulis
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:40:12 PM »
Not sure on the germination % but I got 1 seed to germinate out of about 4. It liked heat and some humidity, believe was in the 80s and 70s at night in a plastic bag with slightly damp peat moss.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:09:26 AM »
Thank you. 80s and 70s at night means 25 to 30 Celsius, right? Surely we have no such temperatures now (April 18), it is expected to be so during June through to August. Did you scarify (scratch, sand, rub) your seeds before planting?
Not sure on the germination % but I got 1 seed to germinate out of about 4. It liked heat and some humidity, believe was in the 80s and 70s at night in a plastic bag with slightly damp peat moss.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:06 AM »
Thank you. 80s and 70s at night means 25 to 30 Celsius, right? Surely we have no such temperatures now (April 18), it is expected to be so during June through to August. Did you scarify (scratch, sand, rub) your seeds before planting?

I soaked the seeds 24 hours in sea kelp concentrate added to water. Then placed in slight moist peat moss in a plastic bag. Place ontop of refrigerator or near computer. Indoor temps above 22c should germinate. It helps to have a grow light shining on the peat moss mix with seeds.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
So, you did not scarify. I shall try to do as similar as i can to your method (2 seeds left, the other are already in cups outdoors). The photo seems to be the young scions of Cyrtocarpa edulis among the remnants of a dead palm tree, i suppose because of the palm red beetle which is doing havoc to palms. But the Cyrtocarpa next to those are alright.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk