Author Topic: Tasting Palaquium galactoxylon FNQ AU  (Read 1113 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Tasting Palaquium galactoxylon FNQ AU
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »
Just had the oppertunity to taste a fruit from Palaquium galactoxylon "Red Silkwood"
and I am not disapointed as I haven't found anything sweet like this in our rainforest section.

Flesh have sweetness about 60% of a good sapodilla with a taste similar to ripe bread fruit (artocarpus altilis). Skin is not very bitter, agreeable taste.
Texture is very similar to an engalak fruit (litsea gracie) or ripe breadfruit. They don't get smashed by falling from high in the cannopy but once ripe falls apart and bruise easily.
Have only tested this fruit from one tree yet so don't know how much difference there is but it also grows on Solomon island and New guinea according to Fruits of the Australian tropical rainforest by Cooper.

Can swap/barter the seeds, please have a look at my signature for list directions.
Have more fruits comming up that I haven't identified yet.

/cassowary
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Tasting Palaquium galactoxylon FNQ AU
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Australian rain forest species are always interesting.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
would you say this is better eating than a ripe breadfruit?

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »
I can eat similar amount of this fruit then of ripe breadfruit. Ripe breadfruit is sweeter though and there is a small veriety here that is a bit less "repulsive" ripe. If I add some lime fruit to ripe breadfruit I can eat a few cups of it.
The skin of this fruit has a little bit of bitter in it so I scrape the flesh of for best taste but the skin is agreeable.
I had somone else try it and they liked it.

Just got a refractometer so will test it soon.

I want to see if I can select a better one out of a bunch of seedlings or maybe it wants to cross with a similar species.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange