Author Topic: Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerine  (Read 2966 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerine
« on: January 17, 2023, 03:25:40 PM »
Since I know forum members are fruit connoisseurs, I thought y'all might like to know about this new tangerine, Juicy Crunch.  I came upon it by chance at Sprouts, and it's super sweet (very high brix), tasty, and seedless--an all-around exceptional fruit.  It's available at Publix and Whole Foods, too.  Check it out.  You won't be disappointed!  You can read the whole story at this website: https://noblecitrus.com/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:58:43 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerine
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 03:28:17 PM »

Florida-grown.  Our citrus industry needs this shot in the arm.  Let's save agriculture from subdivisions!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:17:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

Lukester

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:35:07 PM »
Agreed! It’s a great orange!!

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 03:46:27 AM »

Florida-grown.  Our citrus industry needs this shot in the arm.  Let's save agriculture from subdivisions!
Florida citrus is a disaster because of our cultural practices, mainly chemical farming.. nothing to do with subdivisions. if anything the growth in subdivisions has increased farmer's land values giving them access to additional equity and cash through refinancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9Cmv1xDVg

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 06:23:02 PM »
Juicy Crunch is an excellent citrus variety, a standout among the blandness that usually fills the grocery store produce section. Publix has been carrying it for, I believe, three years. Although usually entirely seedless, every few fruits will have a viable seed. I've been growing my own plants for a couple of years from those rare seeds. It is the only way for a home grower to have access to Juicy Crunch; it is a patented variety that will likely never be available to the public.

Also, this topic should be moved to the Citrus General Discussion section of the Forum.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 10:41:04 PM »

Thanks John! I appreciate you posting this. There are about 300 acres of Juicy Crunch and maybe some other tangerine varieties being planted in my county right now. I have really enjoyed the Ori Gold Mandarin that Publix caries as well.

The biggest challenge facing the cutrus industry is not what a lot of people think. We have some excellent growers here that have no trouble growing  trees--even with HLB. However, no company can stay in business when their expenses double but their income stays the same. A grove is no different.

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 05:55:09 AM »
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. Btw not sure I've tasted this variety or not, but it looks good.

The issue isn't just the chemical farming, it's also that they've been growing in these grove/orchard style monoculture row crop methods for far too long with the same genetics being grown. This creates super pest and pathogens able to withstand all of the pesticides, insecticides, germicides, fertilizers etc and these leach into our water tables and we all know what that brings..

The major problem here is that we used the same grafted varieties over and over and expected it to get better.

Maybe there should be some kind of benefit given by the states to farmers whom attempt growing from seed and/or polyculture. This benefits the entire industry. But that probably isn't going to happen. Not in our lifetime at least.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 01:02:25 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. Btw not sure I've tasted this variety or not, but it looks good.

The issue isn't just the chemical farming, it's also that they've been growing in these grove/orchard style monoculture row crop methods for far too long with the same genetics being grown. This creates super pest and pathogens able to withstand all of the pesticides, insecticides, germicides, fertilizers etc and these leach into our water tables and we all know what that brings..

The major problem here is that we used the same grafted varieties over and over and expected it to get better.

Maybe there should be some kind of benefit given by the states to farmers whom attempt growing from seed and/or polyculture. This benefits the entire industry. But that probably isn't going to happen. Not in our lifetime at least.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the issues plaguing modern, strictly commodity-producing, non-ecological agriculture.  I'm an old man, and they've been talking about loss of topsoil and declining fertility my whole life. 

I had included this topic in the regular forum as a general heads-up concerning a fruit that I was impressed with and that everyone might enjoy since I don't grow citrus and never go to that forum.  Looks like the "powers that be" saw things otherwise.
John

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
Surfmatt, your post had many good suggestions, but commercial growers should start growing their new trees from seed is not one of them.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:19:49 PM »
The bottom line is that these are good tangerines that taste better in my opinion than Cuties or Halos (especially the Ori Gold as I mentioned above). Since the cultural practices are no different in California, they are no more or less healthy than the California fruit. Eating local fruit does help support the local economy and saves a pile of fuel in comparison to shipping fruit all the way accross the continent.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:34:00 PM »
I have never heard of or seen this type.   I'd be interested in trying it, but there are so many excellent cultivars at this point I think any new advantage may be best adapting to the local climate.

I have had many mandarins from south america, europe, middle east, africa that were all nice, and also ones that were very poor.  I don't see many mandarins for sale (in grocery stores near me) from Florida, though. 

Meanwhile, if I can get great tasting mandarins to grow in Pennsylvania, it makes me question the whole idea.  Kishu, Dekopan, and Shasta Gold are all consistently excellent for me 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 10:52:21 PM »
I have never heard of or seen this type.   I'd be interested in trying it, but there are so many excellent cultivars at this point I think any new advantage may be best adapting to the local climate.

I have had many mandarins from south america, europe, middle east, africa that were all nice, and also ones that were very poor.  I don't see many mandarins for sale (in grocery stores near me) from Florida, though. 

Meanwhile, if I can get great tasting mandarins to grow in Pennsylvania, it makes me question the whole idea.  Kishu, Dekopan, and Shasta Gold are all consistently excellent for me

What you can buy will never measure up to what you can grow yourself--with very few exceptions. That's why we're a part of this forum, isn't it?

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 01:16:55 PM »
I've been eating Noble Juicy Crunch Tangerines, bought at Detwiler's Farmers market, for a while without even realizing it. My last tangerine gave me 2 seeds that I will try to germinate. Will go to Detwiler tomorrow for some more.

Tom

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 02:16:39 AM »
I tried this for the first time today. It's available at Food Town in Houston. Since it's from Florida should I avoid putting peels in the compost? I absolutely don't want citrus greening.

DAV1D

• USA, AL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 11:51:07 PM »
The first batch of Juicy Crunch I got from Publix was the best tasting orange I ever tasted. Very sweet, no sour, and actually crunchy as well.
I bought them again 2 weeks later and they were very sour. I think they were picked too early, they weren't as big as before.

Later on Publix also had these other ones (I can't remember if this was the correct name) called Florigold that tasted very similar but without the crunch.

Both of these varieties had seeds, I planted the sweet Juicy Crunch from the first batch. I read that tangerines do fruit true from seed, let me know if I'm wrong.
I plan on growing these out and grafting it on a larger tree.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:54:29 PM by DAV1D »

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 12:12:17 AM »
The first batch of Juicy Crunch I got from Publix was the best tasting orange I ever tasted. Very sweet, no sour, and actually crunchy as well.
I bought them again 2 weeks later and they were very sour. I think they were picked too early, they weren't as big as before.

Later on Publix also had these other ones (I can't remember if this was the correct name) called Florigold that tasted very similar but without the crunch.

Both of these varieties had seeds, I planted the sweet Juicy Crunch from the first batch. I read that tangerines do fruit true from seed, let me know if I'm wrong.
I plan on growing these out and grafting it on a larger tree.

I don't know whether Juicy Crunch is true from seed. My plants are too young to fruit, so I can't say for certain. The variety hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have fruited it from seed, at least to my knowledge. Also, it would depend on what its parentage actually is, which the Roe family has, of course, not stated publicly. It could have all sorts of tangerine, mandarin, tangelo, or orange varieties in its parentage, not all of which are guaranteed true to type. Still, I think its a worthwhile endeavor growing it from seed; that's why I'm doing so myself.

DAV1D

• USA, AL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 01:37:23 AM »
How tall are your seedlings? Mine are growing very slow, they are about 1 month old in the photo.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 02:09:53 AM »
I'm just planting mine. I might to buy more to get more seeds too. Fingers crossed.

DAV1D

• USA, AL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »
I just learn that citrus seeds can and either be monoembryonic or polyembryonic. The Juicy Crunch is definitely monoembryonic.
I started the seeds in a ziploc bag and only one shoot came out of each seed. Only poly seed, with multiple shoots have clones of the parent tree.

It still might be somewhat similar since the Juicy Crunch are probably surrounded by other Juicy Crunch trees.
They wont be cross pollinated with some other type of citrus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 01:58:34 PM »
 Citrus varieties that do produce true, and citrus varieties that do not come true from seed.

http://redwoodbarn.com/PDF/Whichcitrusfromseed.pdf

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 02:34:28 PM »
I have suspected that Juicy Crunch has Temple in its parentage.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 06:27:02 PM »
I have suspected that Juicy Crunch has Temple in its parentage.

You can certainly see the resemblance. Also, Temple tangors are sometimes sold under the name Royal Tangerine.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2023, 06:33:37 PM »
How tall are your seedlings? Mine are growing very slow, they are about 1 month old in the photo.

Yours look fine for being a month old. Mine are about a foot tall. They're also about two years old, so they've had a bit more time to grow. Mine would be taller, but I did not up-pot them last year, and they've gotten rootbound in their pots. Another project to add to the list for this spring. ::)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »
Which varieties were crossed?

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2024, 09:34:48 AM »
How are everyone's Juicy Crunch seedlings doing? When can we get some budwood going? ;-) @dav1d and @w.