Author Topic: fukushu kumquats ripening  (Read 4705 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
fukushu kumquats ripening
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
I think these are my new favorite citrus.  I had picked up two more of these trees in the spring and they are all coming ripe.   The fruit is amazing.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: fukushu kumquats ripening
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Are they as tart and acidic as the Nagami?

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
brian how big of pot are you using ????
swimmingfree

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
These are less tart and less astringent than Nagami but still tart.  The Fukushu rind is much thicker so it seems far sweeter overall.  Also, the Nagamis often have a slight bitter taste if they aren't 100% orange, which I haven't seen with Fukushu.

The container is probably about four actual gallons, not sure how that translates to nursery pot sizes.  I'm using rolls of the rootmaker material so I just construct them to be a little bigger than the rootball.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
Brian, your Fukushu kumquat is really a healthy looking tree. You have done a great job growing it.  I was not going to grown any more varieties of citrus , as I currently have enough to work with now.  However, after reading your post I will have to break  my rule and order a Fukushu. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
Brian, your Fukushu kumquat is really a healthy looking tree. You have done a great job growing it.  I was not going to grown any more varieties of citrus , as I currently have enough to work with now.  However, after reading your post I will have to break  my rule and order a Fukushu. - Millet

Thanks!  I think you'll be really happy with it.  I have a few flying dragon seedlings growing that I have been wondering what to graft onto, and I am thinking they will all become kumquats.  I am still waiting to see how my Marumi and orangequat fruit tastes. 

chester copperpot

• Morehead City
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Where did you get it from? I have been searching for an inexpensive version of this tree, but I can't remember seeing any available.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
I understand the fukushu (aka chang shou) is less cold hardy than the meiwa. Is this true? My meiwa has been in the ground 10+ years now (after about 6 years in a pot) and is about 9 feet tall and 6 feet wide. I do not protect it in the winter at all.  It has been unscathed at 25 degrees. Back in 2012 we had over 36 continuous hours of sub-freezing temps and it did fine. Is a very prolific producer. 
I planted the chang shou in the ground this spring so we will see how cold hardy it is.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
 I ordered my Fukushu Kumquat tree today from Four Winds Growers.  They offer ether a 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 year old tree  Their 1-yer old trees are currently sold out.  I purchased a 3-year old tree.  Four Winds Growers only ships on Mondays, so that the tree does not set over the weekend.  All of their trees are grafted on dwarfing rootstocks. - Millet

www.FourwindsGrowers.com
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:33:42 PM by Millet »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
I obtained mine from Fourwinds also.  Is it safe to order trees shipped to Colorado in the winter?  I always assumed they would freeze in shipping.

I'm not sure about cold hardiness of specific cultivars because nothing can survive in the ground in my zone.  I bring them in before temps get below freezing.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
I've ordered many trees during the winter month from Four Winds Growers, with 100 percent arriving just fine.  When ordering during the winter if you request  Four Winds Growers will ship  using their special winter packaging where the tree is wrapped heavyer with heat packs enclosed. - Millet
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:16:48 PM by Millet »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
Very good to know, thank you.  I was poking around on the site to see if there is anything interesting for next spring but I might just jump the gun a little.

I'm going to start running out of room. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
The  Fukushu Kumquat tree I ordered from Four Winds Growers arrived yesterday afternoon in good condition. Nice looking tree. - Millet. 

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
Makes great marmalade too. In Beaumont I had a mature inground changshou(fukushu). I ate a very few fruit fresh
but always made 25+ pints of marmalade with the fruit. I topworked a seeding sunquat to chanshou. Sunquat is larger than
changshou and can get as big as a satsuma but flavor is poor at best.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:57:46 AM by Millet »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
The Fukushu Kumquat tree that I purchased from Four Winds Growers on Brain's recommendation is now in bloom.  I should have fruit in a couple months.  Anxious to taste this kumquat variety. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
Good to hear, I hope you like them as much as I do.

I have three Fukushus and all are now flushing heavily but there aren't as many blooms as last year.  Hopefully I will get a second bloom soon

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
My Fukushu kumquat is blooming again.  This time the tree is loaded with flowers, so I am sure to get fruit.  Fukushu's seem to be quite hardy trees.  I have it growing in an air root pruning container.  - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk