Author Topic: Oranges Grown With Infused Pig Genes??  (Read 5209 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Oranges Grown With Infused Pig Genes??
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
Orange juice may soon contain pig genes

Title: Orange juice may soon contain pig genes Content: (NaturalHealth365) The future of orange crops are at risk and pig genes may be considered part of the solution. (I’m not kidding) On July 27, the New York Times (NYT) officially staked its flag into Big Ag’s garden and into the soil of the GMO camp with its wildly controversial piece, “A Race to Save the Orange by Altering Its DNA.” The feature highlights the story of a highly influential orange grower and his undying quest to stave off Asian jumping lice and the bacteria that they carry, which has been devastating Florida’s orange crop since 2005. Committed to engineering the world’s first genetically modified orange tree, the article centers on Ricke Kress, the president of Southern Gardens Citrus who is in charge of two and a half million orange trees and a factory that squeezes juice for Tropicana and Florida’s Best. According to NYT, Kress’s GMO savior would fight C. liberibacter and citrus psyllids through whatever means science determines necessary

Millet

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Oranges Grown With Infused Pig Genes??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:04:59 AM »
I think you're going to start finding from now on that whatever diifficult problem there is it is now suddenly only solveable by using genetic modification. Never mind that humans survived just fine for many millenia without this technology. From now we will find it is completely indispensable. Why is it indespensable? Because the companies that promote it can patent their products, which ofcourse means huge profitS for them.
A good case in point is the use of genetically modified papayas to combat ringspot virus. The biotechnology companies use this as a model example of how a crop, the papaya, would have been completely wiped off the face of the planet it were not for their invention. But nothing could be further from the truth. Through tradition breeding techniques a hybrid papaya was bred, using wild vasconcella, that was equally resistant to ringspot virus.  And even if such was not found, papayas would not cease to exist! Ofcourse now that this ringspot virus resistant papaya was bred through traditional techniques the papaya companies continue to use their GMO seeds. Once these GMO products are on the market it's practically impossible to get rid of them even when superior traditional breeding seeds are found. Bottom line: the dollar.
Oscar

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »
Well its either do this, hope that a cure is found or let the disease(I refer to greening in my case since DNA is a route they are going there as well) wipe out everything except one or two trees that have the genetic trait that lets them survive and use those to replace everything. That's how nature works and why humans at several points in our ancient history were on the cusp of survival for one reason or another. I read a report the other day that says citrus is teetering now and within ten years will be destroyed in FL. I personally would prefer they find a cure, but if they do not,  I definitely do not want everything wiped out so as a last ditch attempt. Ill side with GMO over losing everything. Not like adding a pig gene will be noticeable to anyone(mmm bacon flavored orange juice....). I had heard it was spinach before so the pig thing is new to me.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
I never understood the anti-GMO movement.  This kind of thing is modern tech at its finest.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
I never understood the anti-GMO movement.  This kind of thing is modern tech at its finest.

It's a bit like the anti-fluoride-in-the-drinking-water movement.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »

I am not against actual GMOs. I don't like the patents, companies who make them, and lack of genetic diversity. In summary, the current path this tech is headed.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »
Cool. GMOs are awesome.
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:29 AM »

It's a bit like the anti-fluoride-in-the-drinking-water movement.

Fluoride is not only bad for people but also bad for plants. Our local nurseryman's association fought fluoridation of water here because they know very well it kills many types of nursery plants. Chlorine is not great either but fluoride is even worse.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »

Damn, progress is so slow.
 I am waiting for a mangosteen with polar bear genes.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
If chlorine in the water is bad, you should try amoebas.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Orange juice may soon contain pig genes

Would that then make that orange juice "unclean" according to Judaism, Islam or other religious faiths that do not eat pork?
Same for the vegans, I guess.

DM

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
Zealots have a hard time in an ever changing world.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 02:28:05 AM »
If chlorine in the water is bad, you should try amoebas.

Believe it or not amoebas can be kept out of water without having to add any chlorine. You've fallen for false propaganda. Fill up on chlorine if you like. But look what it does to many plants! Many are harmed by watering with chlorine, and gardeners take great steps to make sure their plants get no chlorine. So you really think a lifetime of drinking chlorine does you no harm?  :o Ok if you want to take better care of your plants than of your own health that is up to you.
Oscar

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »

Most people against GMO don't have an ideological problem with GMO itself, but with the companies and the legal-economical-ideological environment where GMO are developed. It's hard to avoid noticing that patents+GMO are actually used from big companies to gain the control on entire production industries.
Moreover, I believe that as long as companies simply want to maximize profits, they will never do what's is good for the entire society, but just what is good for the shareholders (or the CEO).

Change the patent laws, the GMO development model, and you will see the antiGMO shrink. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »

Most people against GMO don't have an ideological problem with GMO itself, but with the companies and the legal-economical-ideological environment where GMO are developed. It's hard to avoid noticing that patents+GMO are actually used from big companies to gain the control on entire production industries.
Moreover, I believe that as long as companies simply want to maximize profits, they will never do what's is good for the entire society, but just what is good for the shareholders (or the CEO).

Change the patent laws, the GMO development model, and you will see the antiGMO shrink.
Very well said! It's ridiculous to think that opponents of GMO's are anti-technology. Rather we are anti-environment destruction, anti-greed, and for healthier food.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 02:13:57 AM »
You can't compare the different issues and there are genuine concerns with GMO hence widespread banning of GMO around the world. Put contains GMO on food labelling and see if it influences sales. With such a sensitive issue people must be informed and given a choice about what they are eating and drinking.GMO free food can be a marketing advantage.

The genes can spread via pollinators, there are potential threats from super weeds that are herbicide resistant and big companies will be looking for profitable angles that are often not in the best interest of everyone.

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

Yes this is very well said!!

Its not good to grow mono-culture, then you grow disaeses. And its not got to add poison into the drinking water just to kill bakteria. Im not stupid and I understand that sometimes the bacteria can be bad but mostly bacteria is good and very necessary for a good health. To put poison in the drinking water will allways be a bad choice. The whole idea of living in cities seems accually more and more stupid....