Author Topic: Carl E . Whitcomb, Ph.D. Top 10 List  (Read 1323 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Carl E . Whitcomb, Ph.D. Top 10 List
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
1. Roots come first.  When a seed germinates the root always emerges first.
2. A tree's stress can always be measured in the root system before symptoms appear in the top.
3. Improved root branching consistently results in improved tree growth.
4. A root grows like a bullet goes. Straight until it hits a solid object then ricochets to a new direction.
5. Root deformities (kinks, twists, spirals) that occur during early stages of tree growth plague a tree for the rest of its life.
6.Trees propagated from seed are much more prone to root kinks and deformity problems compared to trees propagated from cuttings.
7. Roots do not seek out favorable conditions for growth, but once they find it they proliferate quickly.
8. It is not so much the size of the root ball that dictates a tree's performance in the landscape but the quality in the root ball that is important.
9. Trees run on energy, just like people, electric lights, and automobiles.  The difference is that trees manufacture their own energy in leaves.
10. Fertilizer does not make trees grow, at least not directly.  It is only after, and if, the fertilizer aids in the energy output of the leaves that growth occurs.

(Taken from "Plant Production In Containers II)
Millet

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: Carl E . Whitcomb, Ph.D. Top 10 List
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »
Ref no 10........i just liquid fed my japanese seedless mandarin and havent noticed any increase in new leaves/size but i noticed an almost instant increase in the size of the fruit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Carl E . Whitcomb, Ph.D. Top 10 List
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
The better support given by the roots, the more energy is produced by the leaves. - illet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk