Author Topic: SKINN30A CITRUS GROVE PROGRESSION  (Read 6899 times)

skinn30a

• Santa Rosa Beach, Fl 32459
    • View Profile
SKINN30A CITRUS GROVE PROGRESSION
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
I’m in the process of starting a small citrus grove close to where I live and wanted to start a thread here to document the process.

I bought the land (16acres) in February of this year. The soil (Albany loamy sand) is well suited to citrus, with a 6-8 inch layer of acidic loam on top of a neutral to slightly basic layer of sand/clay mix that extends downward to a clay hardpan at a depth of 45 to 80 inches. Drainage is somewhat poor with a water table that is at times within 24 inches of the soil surface.

The 1st order of business was to improve the drainage of the property which was accomplished with a well placed ditch down the length of the property’s eastern edge. Additional ditches will be dug in close proximity to the grove site later this summer. Grove will consist of 5 raised beds and rows that are 3ft high, 300ft long, and 20ft apart.

I'll be adopting many of the the ACPS practices that are being trialed in the citrus belt as well as high tunnels for the later maturing scions.

I've also gone ahead and contracted with Farkas citrus nursery in Plant City Fl to propagate the trees for me. all 293 of them have been budded as of present and will be ready for delivery next spring. All of the scions were budded on one of 5 rootstocks that will be trialed – I chose: Flying Dragon, US-942, US-897, Kinkoji, & Sour Orange. The entire order consisted of the following scion/rootstock combinations:

# Scion Rootstock
24 x Sugar Belle Flying Dragon
24 x Sugar Belle US 897
20 x Sugar Belle Sour Orange
4 x Sugar Belle Kinkoji
2 x Sugar Belle US 942
10 x Minneola Flying Dragon
5 x Minneola Sour Orange
10 x Minneola US 897
2 x Minneola Kinkoji
2 x Minneola US 942
4 x Owari Sat F-60-23 Flying Dragon
4 x Owari Sat F-60-23 US 897
4 x Owari Sat 874 Flying Dragon
4 x Owari Sat 874 US 897
4 x Owari Sat 25 Flying Dragon
4 x Owari Sat 25 US 897
2 x Owari Kinkoji
2 x Owari US 942
2 x Owari Sour Orange
11 x Tango C-35
11 x Tango US 897
2 x Tango Sour Orange
2 x Tango US 942
2 x Tango Kinkoji
12 x Brown Select Sat Flying Dragon
12 x Brown Select Sat US 897
2 x Brown Select Sat US 942
2 x Brown Select Sat Kinkoji
2 x Brown Select Sour Orange
4 x Ponkan Flying Dragon
4 x Ponkan US 897
2 x Ponkan Sour Orange
2 x Ponkan Kinkoji
4 x Shiranui Flying Dragon
4 x Shiranui US 897
2 x Shiranui Sour Orange
2 x Shiranui Kinkoji
2 x Shiranui US 942
3 x US Early Pride Flying Dragon
3 x US Early Pride US 897
3 x Xie Shan Sat Flying Dragon
3 x Xie Shan Sat US 897
2 x Xie Shan US 942
3 x Kimbrough Sat Flying Dragon
3 x Kimbrough Sat US 897
2 x Kimbrough Kinkoji
3 x Kishu Sdless Flying Dragon
2 x Kishu Sdless US 897
1 x Kishu Sdless Sour Orange
1 x Kishu Sdless US 942
3 x Pixie Mandarin Flying Dragon
3 x Pixie Mandarin US 897
1 x Pixie Mandarin Sour Orange
2 x Pixie US 942
1 x Pixie Kinkoji
3 x Gold Nugget Flying Dragon
3 x Gold Nugget US 897
1 x Gold Nugget Sour Orange
2 x Gold Nugget US 942
1 x Gold Nugget Kinkoji
3 x Page Flying Dragon
3 x Page US 897
1 x Page US 897
2 x Hirando Butan Pumello Sour Orange
2 x Hirando Butan Pumello Swingle
2 x Budd Blood DPI-82 Sour Orange
2 x Budd Blood DPI-82 Swingle
2 x Cara Cara Navel Sour Orange
2 x Cara Cara Navel C-35
2 x Glen Navel 11 Sour Orange
2 x Glen Navel 11 C-35
2 x Meyer Lemon Sour Orange
2 x Meyer Lemon Swingle

More to come…

Best,

Skinn30a
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:30:59 AM by skinn30a »
Zone: Border of 9a/8b
-----------------------------------------------------
"but do please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch

skinn30a

• View Profile
Re: SKINN30A CITRUS GROVE PROGRESSION
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »

I've been cleaning up the grove site in between the rain over the last couple of weeks. Burned off the brush piles last weekend and will hopefully be able to start building the beds this week:

I've also killed a pigmy rattlesnake the last two times that I've been out there. I don't mind the big ones (diamondback & timber) because they let you know that they are there but the rattles on these little guys are too small to make any noise. They just freeze right where they are, making no effort to either let you know that you're too close or trying to get out of your way. They account for 90% of the venomous snake bites in our area and pack a very nasty punch. Don't want to know how many I haven't seen and stepped on (I wear 16' snake boots from the minuet I get out of the truck to the minuet that I'm done working and get back in to go home) you wouldn't even notice if they bit your boot.

Best,

Skinn30a

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »
HOT dirt coming through...!

See here for my soil test results:

Sample #1 is 6in deep:

Sample #2 is 18in deep:

Sample #3 is 36in deep:

*Citrus footnotes:

Pretty cool USDA application here for determining soil type at a high level for any location in the US:

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

-click the link above to go to the site
- then click the green wss button to start.
- once the page loads click the address link in the quick navigation bar on the left of the screen and then enter the address then hit enter or click the view button.
-Click on the little rectangle AOI button on top of the resulting aerial picture and then highlight the area of interest on the aerial photo.
- once the AOI is identified, click on the soil Map tab for soil types
- click on the soil type and it will tell you about it and provide a description of their respective qualities.

The soil data explorer also has some cool info.

Best,

Skinn30a

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:00:58 PM by skinn30a »

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
Got the grove rowed up this weekend - 5 rows, 20ft apart, and 325ft long.

Best,

Skinn30a
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:32:16 AM by skinn30a »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
Awesome. Great job ! Did you use a laser to help make everything so straight and level. Really well done. Tom

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Hey Tom. Nossir, no laser. just ran string and flagged where the crowns needed to be. The track base of the machine we were using is just shy of 12ft. Just ran down between the flags and dug the furrow and just poured out on the line of flags. I'm happy with the result and curious to see how much the rows sit down over the next couple of months. I'm going to get out there next weekend with some lime and fertilizer - got 9mos to get the dirt right. Trees will go in next March...

Next item on the agenda is to get the well in place. Meeting the power company out there in the next week or so to see about getting some juice run to where the well will be dug.

Best,

Skinn30a

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
Good luck! Love how you are documenting this!!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
That's really cool... is this for fun or profit??

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »

Brian,

Mostly for fun but I will certainly try and sell the fruit to cover some if not all of my operation expense. There are several satsuma groves in the surrounding areas and south Alabama that do quite well from an economical perspective but they are much, much bigger. I'm heavy in Sugarbelles and other no-so-common cultivars in an effort to differentiate from the standard. I'll probably end up selling the majority of my product from a road side stand for $0.75/lb.

Best,

Skinn30a

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »
Theres always farmers markets. Brave man with greening so prevalent in FL. I would have diversified into a few rows of non-citrus as a backup plan. Olives are a safe bet these days.

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »

Thankfully, the vector for greening does not take to the climate here in northwest Florida. I'm also so isolated (by 50 miles) of any other meaningful stand of citrus. I'm positive that I have little to worry about in the way of Huanglongbing.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
Skinn, if I counted correct you are planting  280 trees.  I know you live right on the ocean.  Is you grove right near your home?  Is  there active tristeza virus in your area?  I ask this because I see you have 35 tree rooted on Sour Orange as one of your root stocks.  Sour Orange is a great root stock, but very susceptible to tristeza.  I have to give you a lot of credit for all of the time, planning, and effort you are putting into your orange grove project.   You deserve a pat on the back.  Thank you for showing us what you are doing.  We look forward to seeing the future progress as it develops.  BTW, I hope to see you in Tipton Georgia at the 2014 Citrus Expo.  I looked for you at last years Expo, and was sorry you could not make it.  Take care and thanks again - Millet

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »

Millet,

This piece of land is located 15 miles or so from the gulf. No salt, no tristeza, no greening. I'm completely isolated from any other meaningful stand of citrus. Giving the Sour Orange a shot just because I've heard from old timers that the rootstock produces a tree that bears fruit of remarkable quality, especially for late maturing cultivars, over and above any rootstock that is commonplace today. Ever since hearing that. I've wondered what an Minneola, Shirinui, or Tango would taste like from a tree budded on Sour. Only way I could find that out is to grow them myself - hence it's presence on the roster. The initial planing is at such a high density that half the trees that I plant will have to be culled by year 4-6 so I see it as a good opportunity to experiment and have some fun. Trees will be grouped by scion, planted on 4ft centers, and alternated in row by rootstock. After culling, the remaining trees will be on 8ft centers. I'm inclined to think that the FD will be the last man standing but Farkas seems to think that US897 is the ideal understock for my situation.

Best,

Skinn30a

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

See below for some information pertaining to two of the recent USDA rootstock releases that I've chosen to use in the grove in addition to Flying Dragon, Sour Orange, Kinkoji, C-35, and Swingle. Both the US-942 & US-897 are Flying Dragon crosses:

Both US-942 & US-897: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/dec03/citrus1203.htm

US-897: http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/images/riv/documents/ReleaseNotice_2007_US-897.pdf

US-942: http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/66180000/Signed%20Release%20Notice_US-942%20Citrus%20Rootstock.pdf

(ref Greening):
- http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/46/1/16.full
- http://swfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/hlb/database/pdf/00003019.pdf

Best,

Skinn30a

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »
You project is amazing. Lots of planning and research. Best of luck to you ! Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »
Skinn the root stock US897 looks very good. The tolerance to HLB is high. At this time I did not have time to read as much as I want to on US942 but I will read all that I can tomorrow.  Thanks for the excellent information, I find it exciting. . - Millet- Millet

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »
Thanks Skinn30a for the info.
After a quick reading, if I have not misunderstood, the old known rootstock Carrizo seems to be one of the most resistant to HLB.
Carrizo is by far, the most used rootstock in Spain.
Old rootstock, but difficult to beat!

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
It’s interesting to me that of all the rootstocks out there – new releases and time tested alike, FD constantly produces fruit with the highest TSS/Acid ratio, imparts the most cold hardiness to the scion, is the most resistant to greening, and has the highest long term survivability. If a grower’s intent is to produce the highest quality fruit possible and quality takes precedence to quantity, then it seems like FD would be the best option hands down. I’m trying these other rootstocks for the fun of it but at the end of the day, I will be surprised if my little grove isn't 100% FD with the exception of the tangos & lemons because of incompatibility issues with trifoliate and sweet oranges & pummelos because of fruit weight/crop load. I do hope that the Sour Orange is a success but it’s a gamble – much more so from a cold hardiness & site quality perspective than citrus tristeza virus.

The biggest concern that I have at present is the possibility of a nematode problem. There is presently no basis for this other than the knowledge that some areas in my neck of the woods have issues with nematodes in their fig and tomato plots.

Best,

Skinn30a
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:02:11 PM by skinn30a »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
Sour Orange rates good for freezes, but susceptible to both burrowing nematodes and citrus nematodes, other then that, it either rates good or tolerant to just about everything else except tristerza virus. - Millet

skinn30a

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »

On Saturday, I tilled 150lbs of lime and 30lbs of 24-0-11 into the crown of each row. I'll have the soil tested again 1st of November and further amend the rows based on those results.

Best,

Skinn30a

kylem4711

• USA, CA, Whittier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41:30 AM »
sorry to bump an old thread, but are there any updates? I just saw this thread and was hoping it would still be active.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 01:57:46 AM »
He hasn't logged in since October last year.

Agreed.  Would love an update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk