Author Topic: Who here has a citrus cross breeding project?  (Read 980 times)

alexmed95

• Canada, Quebec, Montreal
    • View Profile
Who here has a citrus cross breeding project?
« on: November 22, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »
Per the title, I wonder if anyone here has been doing citrus crossing experiments to obtain new hybrid varieties.  :D

For instance, I've come across this video of a guy who had his first result after 15 years (a cross between a Budda hands and an Etrog, I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Dve1iHWwM&t=534s&ab_channel=GardenS

If so, it would be great to have the date of sowing, what are the parents, and some pictures of the tree and fruits (if applicable)!

Hopefully, some of you do!

Best,
Alex

Perplexed

• 8a GA
    • View Profile
Re: Who here has a citrus cross breeding project?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »
I have plans for the future so right now it’s just a waiting game for stuff to start blooming to make any crosses. Only thing so far that is blooming for me  is just Thomasville.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 12:32:26 AM »
Look in the "Cold Hardy Citrus" section. There, many are trying to create more frost-resistant citrus fruits. Those who have been doing this for a long time already have impressive results. Ilya comes to mind first of all from the forum participants.

alexmed95

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 12:10:49 PM »
I have plans for the future so right now it’s just a waiting game for stuff to start blooming to make any crosses. Only thing so far that is blooming for me  is just Thomasville.

Awesome! Keep me updated with your progresses!

alexmed95

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
Look in the "Cold Hardy Citrus" section. There, many are trying to create more frost-resistant citrus fruits. Those who have been doing this for a long time already have impressive results. Ilya comes to mind first of all from the forum participants.

Many thanks, Boris! Indeed, I wasn't aware of that section... and after seeing it, it's definitely very interesting.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 03:18:49 AM »
I am studying the crosses but only the crosses of Citrus Wakonai.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »
I am studying the crosses but only the crosses of Citrus Wakonai.

How's that coming along?

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 09:14:05 AM »
It goes well but it takes years.
I started to cross with citrus of Australia that work well and now I use usual citrus it will need several years to see the result...

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 11:17:51 AM »
Sylvain, are the hybrids with the Australians also early flowering?

Malcolm Smith told me that the precocious trait was diluted very quickly in their breeding program. But that was with hybrids of common citrus.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 05:18:52 AM »
First, I don't see that Citrus wakonai  is so early flowering. They must grow them in very good conditions like in a phytotron. I grow my citrus in "usual conditions" in my area. And Citrus wakonai takes at least tow years to flower, not less than one year as said.
It is the same for hybrids, more than 2 years, often 4 or 5 years.
However, compared to most of citrus ( 4 to 15 years for flowering) it can be considered as early flowering.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 02:11:08 PM »
Perhaps a tropical environment is helpful. My limited experience with Southeast Asian and Australian species is that they are all very difficult to flower in my climate. Much more difficult than other Citrus.

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 07:15:08 PM »
Per the title, I wonder if anyone here has been doing citrus crossing experiments to obtain new hybrid varieties.  :D

For instance, I've come across this video of a guy who had his first result after 15 years (a cross between a Budda hands and an Etrog, I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Dve1iHWwM&t=534s&ab_channel=GardenS

If so, it would be great to have the date of sowing, what are the parents, and some pictures of the tree and fruits (if applicable)!

Hopefully, some of you do!

Best,
Alex

Hello everyone, in the area of cold-resistant citrus fruits there are many experiences, but some dialogues should also be held here.  I have already made more than 40 crosses and I have 66 varieties (or more 😅).  I have a lot of experience about others that I am not.  resistant, and my purpose is multiple: new fruit, making patents, ornamental citrus, making them with edible skin... or just seeing what happens.  About this publication, please don't tell Mr., but I think it is a rough lemon, it has almost all the characteristics... and I already had them flowering in 4 years... so in 15 maybe it was forgotten.  on etrog (without any technique) I managed to flower several plants from seed in 4 years.  If you need some information, I'm here to collaborate with everything I collected and learned.  It's wonderful to see that you can create something new that only exists in your yard.  Here I leave you my only and first plant of Nagami kumquat x Moro blood orange 🥰🫡 PS: this year maybe I managed my first banana crossing (musa velutina x musa ornata)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk