Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59667 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #450 on: February 24, 2023, 10:27:53 PM »
I recently noticed that several of my M cerifera trees started to bloom. I’m guessing these are male blooms and I wonder if cerifera pollen could cross pollinate M Rubra?

Simon

I went out and looked at my female. I think you are correct. The female looks very similar, but the cluster of bloom looks like little tiny balls with a thread sticking out of each.

Ronnie Maxwell

« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2023, 12:27:21 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:25:24 AM by JakeFruit »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2023, 11:18:49 AM »
Meanwhile down in the Carolina Zone.....
Still no change in the plants. I have a Myrica cerifera that had leaves dry out then defoliated. Then it started to regrow about two weeks later . No succh luck with the yang meis. Is there any test other than doing a scratch to see if my plant are still alive? I ask because i have a jaboticaba that has been defoliated more than a year but STILL shows green after a scratch.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
Still no change in the plants. I have a Myrica cerifera that had leaves dry out then defoliated. Then it started to regrow about two weeks later . No succh luck with the yang meis. Is there any test other than doing a scratch to see if my plant are still alive? I ask because i have a jaboticaba that has been defoliated more than a year but STILL shows green after a scratch.
If they haven’t grown out by now, they’re probably dead. While the bark may still be green, the roots aren’t growing so it’s just time until the plant dies. Based off everyone successful, new leaves growing is promising. Of course they can die later but if no leaves it’s kinda a lost cause. I’d love to be proven wrong. Luckily there are more sources for yangmei now.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »
Looks like only 1 maybe 2 plants out of the ten I ordered will make it. Oh well. seems like it a few years it will be easier to acquire new varieties.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 28, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »
If they haven’t grown out by now, they’re probably dead. While the bark may still be green, the roots aren’t growing so it’s just time until the plant dies. Based off everyone successful, new leaves growing is promising. Of course they can die later but if no leaves it’s kinda a lost cause. I’d love to be proven wrong. Luckily there are more sources for yangmei now.
More sources of yang me? Pray tell, where are these sources? I was once told "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!"

Perhaps that was a movie I saw 8) ;D

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2023, 05:04:35 PM »
As of a week ago I now have a second tree budding. I am not giving up on the others yet, but it is the largest two that are budding.
- Val

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »
More sources of yang me? Pray tell, where are these sources? I was once told "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!"

Perhaps that was a movie I saw 8) ;D

Highlander =)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 28, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »

When the Yangmei are dying, especially the bare root trees, they generally start drying up from the tips of the branches. The branches generally get darker in color and you may see wrinkles on the branches as the cambium dries up.

I’ve had a Jaboticaba (Red Hybrid) completely defoliate on me after a relatively large crop on a very small tree but it leafed back out in Spring.

My large in ground Sabara had a huge bumper crop last year and it lost about 80% of its leaves and is just starting to bounce back.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 28, 2023, 09:58:38 PM »
Looks like only 1 maybe 2 plants out of the ten I ordered will make it. Oh well. seems like it a few years it will be easier to acquire new varieties.

Not to scare anyone off but please be careful where you acquire your Yangmei trees from. Many members have contacted me to ask if I’ve seen the trees on EBay and elsewhere and they wanted to know if it would be a good idea to purchase those trees. I don’t know anything about the growers but the sale posts I’ve seen were trees on Rubra rootstock and the posts said they did not graft the trees. The trees were also fully leafed out which makes me wonder if they were imported with soil? If so, I wonder if it could be carrying RKN or other potentially harmful pests and diseases.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 28, 2023, 10:05:46 PM »

My friend ordered 9 trees from the most recent group buy and 5 of the trees were Dead on arrival. They were completely dried up and crispy when I snapped the branches, the cambium was completely dead. 4 other trees weren’t crispy but only 3 of those 4 look like they will make it. The larger trees seemed to do better as the thicker diameter wood and roots has less surface area to mass in regards to desiccation.

A few of the trees are just starting to leaf out.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2023, 01:43:52 PM »

Not to scare anyone off but please be careful where you acquire your Yangmei trees from. Many members have contacted me to ask if I’ve seen the trees on EBay and elsewhere and they wanted to know if it would be a good idea to purchase those trees. I don’t know anything about the growers but the sale posts I’ve seen were trees on Rubra rootstock and the posts said they did not graft the trees. The trees were also fully leafed out which makes me wonder if they were imported with soil? If so, I wonder if it could be carrying RKN or other potentially harmful pests and diseases.

Simon

The trees from Jason are shipped in a really weird medium, kind of like plasticine. I tried peeling it back and was able to take a peek at the roots and saw no signs or RKN, or pests at all. Not that scientific of a method to check, but it was clearly not catastrophic.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 05, 2023, 07:00:09 PM »
Myrica cerifera flowering, any ideas if this is male or female?

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2023, 08:09:13 PM »
Marta is selling scions of a flowering male yangmei.
https://reallygoodplants.com/

Picture from her blog of the flowering male called Adam, she is also offering scions of a female Eve, pics of fruit are on her blog.

https://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2023/03/yangmei-selections-adam-and-eve.html?m=1

Janet
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:11:01 PM by JCorte »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2023, 10:43:11 PM »

Picture from her blog of the flowering male called Adam, she is also offering scions of a female Eve, pics of fruit are on her blog.

https://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2023/03/yangmei-selections-adam-and-eve.html?m=1

Janet
Just ordered some! I look forward to these as it’s guaranteed make and female.
I'm glad there's another report of yangmei doing well on pennyslvanica.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:09:10 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 05, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
Myrica cerifera flowering, any ideas if this is male or female?

Rob, I can’t tell. It looks a bit different than my male cerifera blooms but i have no idea. I can’t see any pistil.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 05, 2023, 11:32:40 PM »

Janet

Wow,
All gone already.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 05, 2023, 11:46:44 PM »
If my grafts are successful, I will share scions with you.

Janet

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 05, 2023, 11:58:36 PM »
If my grafts are successful, I will share scions with you.

Janet

Thanks Janet...
We can exchange some of the Scions.  I have F crystal, F WuSu and DK male.  Maybe F DongKui, 2 of my 7 from this year order show some new buds.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:04:22 AM by pinkturtle »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2023, 09:41:08 PM »
I'm no myrica expert, but these flowers look female to me:

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 06, 2023, 10:02:54 PM »
I'm no myrica expert, but these flowers look female to me:

They are hard to tell apart when they are small. I think those are male flowers, though. I was looking at some wild plants today and some of the immature stage male flowers looked a lot like your picture. The female flowers on my bush are longer and branch more. Its got 1 main stalk with something like 6 or 8 side branches coming off it at right angles. If you look closely at pictures of berries on-line you can see what I am talking about--they come in little clusters at the nodes (not singly).

TXFruithunter

• HOUSTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 09, 2023, 02:45:22 AM »
Anyone try grafting it on Myrica pusilla? Will the dwarfing affect the graft too?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
I have not tried grafting onto M pusilla or Pennsylvanica.  Marta has some trees on Pennsylvanica so I wonder if there’s any benefit using this rootstock.

I wonder what influences the various rootstocks will have on the quality of fruit, if any.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 10, 2023, 01:32:07 PM »
Simon, which rootstock is easier to graft these with success, the M Californica or M Cerifera?

I have been grafting on the M Californica only but not on Cerifera.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 11, 2023, 10:26:49 PM »
I'm now using the M. Pennsylvanica for my rootstock now. I'll let you know which ones take and grow better.