Author Topic: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet  (Read 3860 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet
« on: September 20, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »
Anyone growing either Younghan's Gold or Supersweet white sapote?

I have both, also Bonita Springs. Just wondering if anyone has tasted these two Florida varieties and which one they liked better.

This is the first year I have fruits that will grow to full size on my grafts, so I hope to do a taste comparison in a month or so and report my findings. If you have any photos of the fruits, I would like to see it so please post it here.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote Taste : Younghan's Gold vs Supersweet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »
Here's some photos, if your fruits looks like these let me know. This is the first time for me to get full size fruits on my grafts.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »
Kaz, i had many varieties sent out to me in a box from CA  2-3 years ago. None were labelled so i didn't know who was who, but some varieties were quite delicious. 2 months ago i ate Yonghan's gold at a friend's house and it was delicious, on far with the CA ones i had 2 years ago. I have never tried the Supersweet variety. For some reason my multi-grafted tree does not seem to grow fast and the leaves stay light green despite feeding with nutrients.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
Satya, I noticed the new grafts takes at least 2 years before it will start fruiting and hold full size fruits. These grafts with the fruits shown are now 2yrs old for the Younghan's and 3 yrs old for the Supersweet. Got both scions from Mike.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:49:17 PM »
Is your tree growing in a pot? If so, very impressive, didn't think that was possible with sapote.
I have Redlands producing for the first time and Supersweet that I just grafted last year, so might be another year or two for that one.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:10:59 PM »
No not in pots, my trees are in ground. One seedling tree is a McDill seedling (10ft tall) which has the Younghan's Gold graft, the other seedling tree is the yellow sapote (8 ft tall) with the Supersweet graft. Between the two trees I have about 12 different varieties grafted on them. I had small fruits on most of the varieties but only these two had normal size fruits.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 08:36:14 PM »
I picked a few fruits of the Supersweet and Younghan's Gold last week and waited for it to get soft on the counter.

The first fruit was the Supersweet, it was large, texture was a little mushy, starchy, did not have much other taste. Since I have more Supersweet fruits on the tree, I will let them hang until they soften before I try it again.

I tasted the Younghan's Gold 2 days later from the fruits sitting on my counter. The ripe Younghan's Gold was good, texture is smooth, taste is good. The flesh is light yellow, not sure if it is a hybrid with yellow sapote, but it is a keeper. The tree gets many fruits on the grafted branches and fruit size is decent. I also notice the Supersweet seeds are large, like the McDill, but the Younghan's Gold has only one smaller seed and the other seeds seems to be not fertile and almost non-existent.  I'll post some photos later tonight.

Here's my taste results so far of the fresh fruits I tasted:
1. Younghan's Gold, best
2. McDill, very good
3. Cuccio, very good
4. Yellow Sapote (tree at CSUF), average taste.
5. Supersweet - still needs to be evaluated later.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:40:44 PM by sc4001992 »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
Kaz, as you know sometimes first fruiting of some varieties is not always true flavor profile of said fruit but appreciate your imput on first tasting of these varieties. I'll await a few more year's before I can taste any fruit from your scion wood. 8)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 02:50:05 PM »
Years ago a CRFG group did a taste test of the yellow sapote (Casimiroa tetrameria) choosing  #6 and #7.  Of the two #7 was considered the better.  Taste can vary depending on stage of ripeness.  The results were written up in an old yearbook.  I had a seedling that produced fruits with an awful aftertaste.  It was grafted over to yellow sapote #7.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 03:19:17 AM »
Ok, Robert and Jack, now I did my final taste test of the Supersweet and Younghan's Gold fruits.

Robert, yes you were correct, the fruits may not be as good on the Supersweet since it is the first year with fruits. But now after eating 3-5 fruits, the taste started to improve the more I waited for it to turn slightly yellow skin. Also, the last 2 fruits fell off when I touched it slightly, so it was light yellow skin and ready to fall off the tree.

I will post some final photos of both the Supersweet and Younghan's Gold later below and give my impression on their taste.

Jack, the white sapotes you gave me (malibu #1,#3, walton, Clytia, C.Tera #6,#7) are doing well. Both Malibu #1 and #3 seems to be the slowest growing for me. The other three are growing well, they are all grafted on my McDill seedling tree and the yellow sapote seedling tree (from CSUF). I already got a small fruit from Walton this year, and it tasted good. I hope to get fruits from Clytia and C. Tera #6 & #7 next year. The Clytia is a fast grower, has many flowers now. These grafts were also on my large seedling tree in my son's yard and doing even better but i had to remove that tree and it did not make the transplant in my yard this year (lost 34 varieties).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:48:14 PM by sc4001992 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 04:09:58 AM »
How does these compare to the common Suebelle type?  I have this one growing in a container.  It has flowered but didn't hold fruit last time, hoping it will this coming yea.  I have never eaten a white sapote fruit, looking forward to trying it

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 09:07:49 AM »
Julian Lara (Lara Farms, South Miami-Dade) is propagating a white sapote that he named Campbell.  He says it's the best tasting for Florida.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:09:21 AM by johnb51 »
John

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 10:58:25 AM »
How does these compare to the common Suebelle type?  I have this one growing in a container.  It has flowered but didn't hold fruit last time, hoping it will this coming yea.  I have never eaten a white sapote fruit, looking forward to trying it

I have a Suebelle that just finished its fruiting cycle for the season. I love the fruit.  Smooth, creamy light yellow flesh tennis ball sized fruit.  Tastes like vanilla cream frosting when allowed to ripen on the tree.  There can be an ever so slight bitterness to the fruit if not fully ripened on the tree that can be off putting to some.  Other white sapote I have tasted can range from slight citrus taste, to mild-bland sweetness, to very bitter.  The unnamed Fruit spice park tree that produces near softball size fruit is still the best I have personally tasted.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 12:46:32 PM »
SHV, my Suebelle is in a pot (5 yrs) and it always had very small fruits so I got rid of it. Also have a Vernon in a small pot and the fruits were small as well (2"). I think they needed to be put in a larger pot or in ground.

Do you have any photos of your fruits, I would especially like to see the photo of the one from the unnamed Fruit spice park tree. Could it have been a Redlands?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 01:09:40 PM »
SHV, my Suebelle is in a pot (5 yrs) and it always had very small fruits so I got rid of it. Also have a Vernon in a small pot and the fruits were small as well (2"). I think they needed to be put in a larger pot or in ground.

How large are you talking about when you say "small pot"?  Mine is in a 25gal, which is about the max I am willing to go though I have some 35gal pots I am not sure if I want to bother with

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 01:35:54 PM »
Brian, your pot size if fine. I had my Suebelle and still have the Vernon is a small 7 gal pot. Just have to many fruit trees to put them in-ground or in larger pots. My plan was to just cut some scionwood and grafted on my large in ground white sapote trees but there were just to many other interesting varieties I had to graft on my multi-grafted trees first. Still don't have extra branches on my larger white sapote trees in ground to graft the Vernon (7 gal pot). Just grafted 2 more new varieties to add to my collection.

I'm starting over on my multi-grafted in-ground trees (one is McDill seedling, other is Yellow Sapote seedling which has flowers). I have 24 varieties between the two trees. Next year I should be able to taste the fruits of the McDill seedling (has flowers now) and Yellow Sapote (has flowers now).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 12:11:55 PM by sc4001992 »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »
Here a few pictures of my Suebelle tree, a medium sized tree ripe fruit (they get a little larger), and a human sampled fruit. It’s a scraggly tree, but puts out a crap ton of fruit every year.  I had it in a 5 to 10 gallon pot for 5 years and it never bore fruit until it went in the ground.  I recall that the feeder roots completely filled the pot when I removed it for ground planting.  I forgot to take pictures of the F&S park tree unfortunately. Too busy inhaling the fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
SHV, your Suebelle fruit looks nice, I don't remember mine having such nice color. Probably because I have to many fruit trees and the squirrels (and other animals) eat it before it ripens. The tree looks very healthy, I should have put mine in the ground but I didn't, just left in in the same pot for over 5yrs and it was neglected so it died.

I did see a video about white sapote in FL and the person also mentioned the excellent tasting fruit at F&S park, he mentioned it was a seedling tree there.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 11:14:03 PM »

I have a Suebelle that just finished its fruiting cycle for the season. I love the fruit.  Smooth, creamy light yellow flesh tennis ball sized fruit.  Tastes like vanilla cream frosting when allowed to ripen on the tree.  There can be an ever so slight bitterness to the fruit if not fully ripened on the tree that can be off putting to some.  Other white sapote I have tasted can range from slight citrus taste, to mild-bland sweetness, to very bitter.  The unnamed Fruit spice park tree that produces near softball size fruit is still the best I have personally tasted.

Thanks for the review.  I planted one of these last year.  It's about 7 ft. tall now.  How old, or big, is typical for first fruiting?

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 11:29:39 PM »
My Suebelle fruited the first year after I planted it, so maybe 6-7 years old at no more than 7 feet tall.  Every year after it holds more and more fruit even though I prune it back to 8-10 feet.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 06:16:12 AM »
It's a little late, but I figured I better update this post now with my last photos I had from last year on Supersweet and Younghan's Gold. I also had the chance to taste one more white sapote from a CRFG's member's large tree, we call it Norm's white sapote.

Here's my taste results so far of the fresh fruits I tasted:
1. Younghan's Gold (ripe in Oct)
2. McDill, very good
3. Cuccio, very good
4. Norm's ws (ripe in Jan, last fruits on tree)
5. Supersweet- taste improved in November (1 month after Younghan's)
6. Yellow Sapote (tree at CSUF), average taste.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 06:21:52 AM »
a few more photos of the fruits:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:31:19 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 06:24:14 AM »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 01:07:45 PM »
I'm glad to see that Younghan's Gold took first place.  I'm going to try to plant it and Campbell here in SoFlo.
John

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 01:18:41 PM »
Yup, it is good, I got my scion wood from Mike (achetadomestica), he's in FL so it should grow well there. My grafted branches took 3 years before the fruits were normal size (medium-large) and tasted very good. It is a vigorous grower, when I had my larger seedling tree that it was grafted on, the branches grew even more (6-8 ft in one year) and had lots of flowers/fruitlets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:22:10 PM by sc4001992 »