Author Topic: Are lowChill peaches the same as early peaches  (Read 1325 times)

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
Are lowChill peaches the same as early peaches
« on: October 13, 2022, 08:13:52 AM »
Hello everyone,

I've been tasked by a friend who lives on the  French Bourbon Island (off of South Africa) that is famous for its vanilla, to find him some low chill peach varieties.

It's been a hassle to be honest because I live in a temperate zone where we plant regular peach varietiesand they produce well.

In my search for the varieties suitable for his climate, I haven't been able to find much info about what is a low chill variety exactly.

Is it one that blooms early in the season because it needs less dormancy time wise or is it one that will still flower eventhough it didn't get much cold.

He says his climate is such that he doesn't get temps below 50°F in winter.

Do I have to look for early flowering/ripening varieties or actually low chill branded varieties?

Any help would be highly appreciated as I am totally lost and he's been really amazing to me and sending me varieties that I could only dream to have.

I really wanna give back.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Are lowChill peaches the same as early peaches
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 12:50:04 AM »
Not always. Two things affect the ripening date for peaches. Chill requirement is one. Fruit development period is the other. A tree can have a moderate chill requirement with a short fruit development period and still ripen early or it can have low chill requirement and a longer fruit development period and ripen at the same time as the moderate chill. Some fruits like plums also have a heat unit requirement after the chill hours are met before they bloom--which throws things off even more. It sounds like he will need very low chill.

Here is an article about some of the low chill peaches from Florida. I have tasted UF Best (ok), Tropic Beauty (very good), and maybe a few others on the list.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/MG374&ved=2ahUKEwi4u__m8976AhWYTDABHQugD30QFnoECDAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jIjyjwlrv8la4FV_v7foc

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
Not always. Two things affect the ripening date for peaches. Chill requirement is one. Fruit development period is the other. A tree can have a moderate chill requirement with a short fruit development period and still ripen early or it can have low chill requirement and a longer fruit development period and ripen at the same time as the moderate chill. Some fruits like plums also have a heat unit requirement after the chill hours are met before they bloom--which throws things off even more. It sounds like he will need very low chill.

Here is an article about some of the low chill peaches from Florida. I have tasted UF Best (ok), Tropic Beauty (very good), and maybe a few others on the list.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/MG374&ved=2ahUKEwi4u__m8976AhWYTDABHQugD30QFnoECDAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jIjyjwlrv8la4FV_v7foc

Man, the only peach I've been able to find locally tastes like vomit...

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 09:40:35 PM »

Man, the only peach I've been able to find locally tastes like vomit...

Wow! What variety was that?

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 09:09:23 PM »
Here are some newer Australian types, they all seem to be UF releases Uni Florida ??
https://anfic.com.au/varieties/all/stone-fruit/peach-low-chill/
Also Okinawan is a well known white fleshed low chill for subtropical areas in Australia, quite nice like a Peach/Nectarine.
Any chance you could track down imported fruit from the subtropics and collect seed ?
USA exports, maybe Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 10:15:12 PM »
Here are some newer Australian types, they all seem to be UF releases Uni Florida ??

Yes, UF is University of Florida. They have been breeding peaches for close to 70 years now.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 01:49:21 AM »
Do I have to look for early flowering/ripening varieties or actually low chill branded varieties?

It could depend on the weather patterns.
Low chill varieties will set fruit in that climate. That is probably the most important factor.
Early ripening on top of that may be better suited in cases of late Summer monsoonal rain.
They may beat the diseases caused by rainy weather.

There was a grape in Subtropical Nth NSW that ripened during the hot dry December weather.
It was a successful var as it was harvested before the late January heavy summer rains, so it missed the fruit rot weather.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 05:46:51 PM »
Not dropping below 50 is pushing it for peaches. Florida peaches taste great and do well here. They are a bit smaller than traditional peaches. We may have years without a freeze but we have a good number of nights in the 40s. You can always plant them and try.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 10:09:58 PM »
Maybe the Red Ceylon peach would work for him? It is native to Sri Lanka I believe and is among the lowest chill peaches in the world. It can be propagated from seed. Fruits are reported to be golf ball size but sweet and flavorful.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 02:04:52 AM »
The Red Ceylon looks fairly close to the Okinawan, which is rounder, more white fleshed but with the red around the seed.

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 09:20:37 AM »

Hello Galantians!!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been sick lately (got a bad cold nothing serious but I've been hammered).

Thanks for yall messages, that really puts everything back into place for me.

So if I understand correctly I could have a low chill peach variety that blooms early but whose fruit take longer to ripen hence making it a mid season peach !

And I could also have a low chill peach with an early season ripening fruit which would make it a extra early fruit (not sure how such a fruit would taste like given that early in the season it might not be sunny and warm enough to allow it to develop sugars but well)!!

Also I checked out the link and there are indeed some nice varieties in there. I can't believe there are some that only require 250 hours of chilling!

My friend actually mentionned Tropic Beauty and since you seem to say that it is worthy I might try and look for it. Would you know where I can get my hands on some scionwood?

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 09:23:40 AM »
https://anfic.com.au/varieties/all/stone-fruit/peach-low-chill/
Also Okinawan is a well known white fleshed low chill for subtropical areas in Australia, quite nice like a Peach/Nectarine.
Any chance you could track down imported fruit from the subtropics and collect seed ?
USA exports, maybe Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan.

Those are beautiful fruit!!! They dont lie when they say that you first taste food with the eyes!!!! I always find fruit that have a bright sunset-y palette of color so attractive... I dont care so much crimson!

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 09:27:00 AM »

It could depend on the weather patterns.
Low chill varieties will set fruit in that climate. That is probably the most important factor.
Early ripening on top of that may be better suited in cases of late Summer monsoonal rain.
They may beat the diseases caused by rainy weather.

There was a grape in Subtropical Nth NSW that ripened during the hot dry December weather.
It was a successful var as it was harvested before the late January heavy summer rains, so it missed the fruit rot weather.

That's an interesting point of view and definitely something to take into consideration. Because who wants to see a beautiful promising crop turn into a huge pile of nothing because the weather makes it rot just a few weaks before picking!!!

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 09:31:38 AM »
Maybe the Red Ceylon peach would work for him? It is native to Sri Lanka I believe and is among the lowest chill peaches in the world. It can be propagated from seed. Fruits are reported to be golf ball size but sweet and flavorful.

Good Lord, I already have trouble finding the regular low chill varieties and now you want to send me fishing in Sri Lanka??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

He said anything between 150 /600 will do apparently. That's still a wide range. I looked by at the emails he sent me and he actually says he has tropic snow and florida Prince.

If I can get my hands on Tropic Snow, I'm happy!

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »
On an Australian forum, I saw someone was growing this Peach var in Cairns Nth Qld in the tropics.
That was in the lowlands too, not up on the cooler Tablelands from their location.
Tropic Beauty Peach
https://www.flemings.com.au/nurseries/tropicbeauty-peach.html

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 09:59:03 PM »
Hello Galantians!!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been sick lately (got a bad cold nothing serious but I've been hammered).

Thanks for yall messages, that really puts everything back into place for me.

So if I understand correctly I could have a low chill peach variety that blooms early but whose fruit take longer to ripen hence making it a mid season peach !

And I could also have a low chill peach with an early season ripening fruit which would make it a extra early fruit (not sure how such a fruit would taste like given that early in the season it might not be sunny and warm enough to allow it to develop sugars but well)!!

Also I checked out the link and there are indeed some nice varieties in there. I can't believe there are some that only require 250 hours of chilling!

My friend actually mentionned Tropic Beauty and since you seem to say that it is worthy I might try and look for it. Would you know where I can get my hands on some scionwood?
[/quote]

That is good news. If he gets that much chill he should be able to grow Tropic Beauty and would not need to bother getting super low chill seeds from India or Sri Lanka. We do have a tree of Tropic Beauty, but I would not recommend getting budwood for any stone fruit or grape from Florida unless it is certified free of disease. Pierce's disease is endemic here and would likely contaminate any budwood that we have. Although it is most commonly thought of in connection with grapes, I have heard that it can also infect stonefruit or even Elderberries (which are a-symptomatic). The last thing your friend needs is to import an awful disease. No variety is worth that risk (just ask citrus and lychee growers in Florida about the diseases that have been imported here in the past 10-15 years). Maybe there is an agriculture department or university that could help you get the budwood safely?

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't know about Pierce's desease. Thanks for the heads up!! I will focus on CA, if they don't have that affection maybe I'll be better off?!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »
Pierce is in California too. Not supposed to export plants out of the country without special permission because of disease. Limited to seeds. In many cases can't even ship out of state.