Author Topic: Garcinia Dulcis - Thailand  (Read 1637 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Garcinia Dulcis - Thailand
« on: October 25, 2022, 05:35:58 AM »
This is my fourth week at my new home here in Thailand.  Got to keep the tropical fruit tree hobby going to keep me sane!  Picked up this little guy at a flea market today.  Hopefully it will be a sweet version.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Garcinia Dulcis - Thailand
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 09:15:11 AM »
Nice find!  I planted a couple of these last week, roughly the size you bought. They were growing slow for me in pots so hopefully they will speed up in the ground. It took 4 years to get to that size. I am pretty sure this is dioecious.

In PR, Juan has a few nice trees. Here are some pics of Juan's tree from this year.

Brandon

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 06:35:06 PM »
Hmmm...all others say not dioecious.  Hope not.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 06:36:13 PM »
I don’t believe g. dulcis to be diocious.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 08:21:14 PM »
Nice plant.  I hope to taste one of these one day.

Bill

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 10:35:10 PM »
Dont take my word. Google Garcinia dulcis

The top results that specify flowering characteristics state the following:

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/florafaunaweb/flora/2/9/2925
It produces male and female flowers on separate plants, and sometimes bisexual flowers as well. 

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/121227
Reproductive Biology

Garcinia dulcis is a dioecious species; however, trees with bisexual flowers and monoecious trees have also been reported.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0CAMQw7AJahcKEwjAmdLK5fz6AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.colegiobolivar.edu.co%2Fgarden%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F03%2FSofia-Botero-Rata-garcinia-dulcis.pdf&psig=AOvVaw0eXx8hsmSfJunZNdhiec8F&ust=1666835100635076

There are both female and male flowers that grow on different plants; moreover,
bisexual flowers have also been reported

There is also the infamous Ruseel sweet, believed to be dulcis, which is dioecious
Brandon

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:04:57 PM »
There can be problems with identifying some garcinias.  I grow what is described as dulcis and it is not sweet.  Other growers in this area also grow a sour dulcis and they all produce.  In my experience it’s not unusual to find misinformation in this regard.  I have lots of garcinias that I think are better.
All the garcinia magnifolia I have planted produce although some sources say it’s diocious.  I have the same experience with g. forbessii.
I’ve been assembling a collection of garcinias and we are not too sure about a few things with this genus that remain unresolved by taxonomists.
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 12:36:54 AM »
I'm sure the one I picked up is both sour and dioecious!

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 09:34:12 AM »
I would go for an air layered one just to be safe.

Our 3 year old air layered maphuut bought from a "ngan kaset" fair produced its first fruit this year without other maphuut nearby. According to the seller it's the sweet and "good" type, but can't confirm that because the fruit fell before ripening :(

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »
My female garcinia trees will hold some unfertilized fruitlets for months. Sometimes they hold long enough to ripen, small and seedless.

I would go for an air layered one just to be safe.

Our 3 year old air layered maphuut bought from a "ngan kaset" fair produced its first fruit this year without other maphuut nearby. According to the seller it's the sweet and "good" type, but can't confirm that because the fruit fell before ripening :(
Brandon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 06:35:18 PM »
Peter, what do you consider the best tasting Garcinias?  I have only tried Achachairu.

Thanks
Bill

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 09:05:49 PM »
This is my fourth week at my new home here in Thailand.  Got to keep the tropical fruit tree hobby going to keep me sane!  Picked up this little guy at a flea market today.  Hopefully it will be a sweet version.

Oh wow, please grow everything you can in Thailand and share pictures with us!!!  😃

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 09:24:37 PM »
Peter, what do you consider the best tasting Garcinias?  I have only tried Achachairu.

Thanks
Bill

Where to start…
Mangosteen, prainiana, forbessii, parvafolia, intermedia, brasilensis.
I am growing Lucs but have still never tasted it.
Garcinia is a huge, poorly described genus that has a lot more good fruits that I have yet to experience. We are planting more magnafolia, see what we think of it.
Peter

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 03:32:33 AM »

Thanks
Bill

Where to start…
Mangosteen, prainiana, forbessii, parvafolia, intermedia, brasilensis.
I am growing Lucs but have still never tasted it.
Garcinia is a huge, poorly described genus that has a lot more good fruits that I have yet to experience. We are planting more magnafolia, see what we think of it.
Peter

i'd add indica as having a nice flavor along with cowa.  the sweet dulcis you find in hawaii is pretty darn good.  good amount of flesh to boot!

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 08:04:14 AM »
Got some sweet maphuut fruit online.

They were smaller than big maphuut I have seen in some photos and videos, but still good size. Large seeds but nice amount of flesh too, and no visible pest damage on any of the fruit.

Flesh in the middle, around the seeds, tasted (to me) like a bland mayong chit with no sourness at all, but when eating with a spoon near the rind, the feeling and taste reminded of eating a kiwi.

Maybe even better varieties exist, but this one was already a very good package for an uncommon fruit and I feel it could even have commercial potential. Definitely going to plant some of the seeds, and make sure there are several trees within pollination distance.

The supposedly self-fertile air-layered maphuut tree I already have flowered again, and again all the of the few fruit fell off. So it's probably a female tree and doesn't fruit properly by itself.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2023, 02:07:21 AM »
Dulcis trees always seem to fruit on their own and can anyone show a pic of a male tree? Xanthochymus and cochinchinensis seem to be in the huge range of dulcis forms. Dulcis apparently extends all the way to PNG and Australia but you wouldnt recognise it as the same thing. The sweet types are not truly sweet but edible outa hand with reduced acid. Russell sweets are very different

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 07:52:38 AM »
Weird explorer did a review of maphuut in Thailand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMh0B5J5cc

Probably the fruit he ate was not the sweet type, as he gave the flesh near the seed a sweetness rating of only 3/10 and sourness rating of 7/10. I've had sweet maphuut a couple of times (though from the same online seller every time) and the flesh near the seed has always been very sweet without any sourness - there is some nice sourness in the flesh near the rind though.