Author Topic: Unknown but similar condition on different citrus species  (Read 580 times)

raze

• Helsinki, 6b
    • View Profile
Unknown but similar condition on different citrus species
« on: October 25, 2022, 07:52:10 PM »
This condition seems to appear on several of my citrus plants. Young yuzus (kept on balcony), one-year old kaffir lime (fine indoors, developed these symptons on balcony), 4-year old grapefruit (completely indoors, otherwise healthy plant).

New leaves and branches seem to develop curly, unhealthy leaves. On younger plants they even seem to die off easily and feel like fine, dried crumble between fingers.

Any ideas how to prevent these from appearing?

https://imgur.com/a/7OGzdd7

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown but similar condition on different citrus species
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 12:32:25 AM »
Are you using LED? Perhaps you are giving too much light.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »
If fine indoors , but curled damaged leaves when out on the balcony it is almost certainly caused by thrips sucking out the juices from the leaves.  Thrips damage normally is on new young growth, and not so much of firm mature leaves.  You can kill the thrips by a horticultural oil spray, or ever a soapy water spray.  Spray both to upper and lower portion of the leaf.  To avoid the damage, you should spray all new growth every 3 or 4 days until he leaves firm up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 05:54:29 PM by Millet »

raze

• Helsinki, 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 04:26:51 PM »
If fine indoors , but curled damaged leaves when our on the balcony it is almost certainly caused by thrips sucking out the juices from the leaves.  Thrips damage normally is on new young growth, and not so much of firm mature leaves.  You can kill the thrips by a horticultural oil spray, or ever a soapy water spray.  Spray both to upper and lower portion of the leaf.  To avoid the damage, you should spray all new growth every 3 or 4 days until he leaves firm up.
Thank you! The leaves' damage is very similar to what I found by googling "thrips on citrus leaves".
Weird that this didn't even cross my mind, as my girlfriends herbs & tomatoes had thrips this summer. She proceeded to poison them multiple times.

Few of my indoor yuzus clearly have thrips damage. Do they spread easily from plant to plant?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »
I agree it looks like insect damage.  I don't think I've ever had thrips, but I have mealybugs and they cause similar damage when they attack very young leaves, the leaves become distorted as they grow