Author Topic: What is my hardiness zone (temp shown below)  (Read 652 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
What is my hardiness zone (temp shown below)
« on: December 03, 2022, 11:16:16 AM »
My area is in north greece, the coldest it gets is -6c/20f, the mean min temperature is like around 30f, if i understand it doesnt this means its supposed to be borderline 10a? Even though most subtropics cant survive even -6c for some nights.
Data from 2022
Coldest temp of jan -6,5
Coldest temp of feb -1,4
Coldest temp of dec 8,7

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: What is my hardiness zone (temp shown below)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »
this is the best USDA-hardiness map I have found of europe that includes Greece:

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 12:42:07 PM »
this is the best USDA-hardiness map I have found of europe that includes Greece:

yes i have seen map, most maps except this one say 9a, this says borderline 8b-9a  but i asked cuz i was thinking there might be some mistake

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »

yes i have seen map, most maps except this one say 9a, this says borderline 8b-9a  but i asked cuz i was thinking there might be some mistake

I am on the border of 10a and 9b. In my case, as much as I wish it were 10a it is definitely not. Most accurately you are probably in Zone 9a. Lean towards the colder zone for your first plantings and experiment from there. As climate change progresses, you will probably need to worry less and less. I have seen notable changes in just 10 years.

Zone 9: The minimum average temperature range is 20°F to 30°F.
Zone 9a: The minimum average temperature range is 20°F to 25° F.
Zone 9b: The minimum average temperature range is 25°F to 30°F.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »

I am on the border of 10a and 9b. In my case, as much as I wish it were 10a it is definitely not. Most accurately you are probably in Zone 9a. Lean towards the colder zone for your first plantings and experiment from there. As climate change progresses, you will probably need to worry less and less. I have seen notable changes in just 10 years.

Zone 9: The minimum average temperature range is 20°F to 30°F.
Zone 9a: The minimum average temperature range is 20°F to 25° F.
Zone 9b: The minimum average temperature range is 25°F to 30°F.
our minimum average temp is 32f in january, i know things like prickly pear, persimmon, loquat and of course figs, pomegranate etc i will start with feijoa, kiwi, blueberrys then progress into maybe normal guavas

Than

• Greece, between 9B and 10A, 8km from the coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 02:37:57 AM »
Hi

Another Greek here. I have studied climate zones in Greece a bit and I'd say don't rely too much on that map. There is a better one here: http://hardiness.inforest.gr/ but even this one you should take with a pinch of salt.

Kavala is definitely not zone 10a. I would say 9a if you are less than a kilometer from the coast, or else 8b.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk