Author Topic: miracle fruit watering advice  (Read 735 times)

SonnyJim

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
miracle fruit watering advice
« on: January 03, 2023, 02:37:02 AM »
Hi all,

I have a young (approximately 3 years old) miracle fruit planted in 50% acidic potting mix (primarily peat) and 50% perlite. The rationale for this ratio of perlite to potting mix was to improve drainage. However, the peat is still retaining a considerable amount of moisture, which makes me wonder when a good time is to water the plant without creating an edaphic environment conducive to root rot. The last time I watered the plant was almost 2 weeks ago. The upper 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot is dry, but the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the pot is extremely wet (reading a 10 on a 1-10 scale moisture gauge). So, basically, it ranges from 3 (dry) for most of the pot, to a 10 (very wet) near the bottom.

The plant itself appears very healthy, although it hasn't put on any new growth for about 2 weeks. It is summer here, and the plant is subject to temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius daily, in full-sun.

Does this plant mind a lot of water or does it prefer to dry out before watering?

Any advice appreciated.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: miracle fruit watering advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 04:56:13 AM »
Keep it moist and acid depending on the humidity. I have had more success with not letting them get too dry and keeping some humidity in the air.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 08:27:33 AM »
I’m the tropics they like plenty of water and lots of sun. Personally I would use some clay, sand, and coco fiber.
Peter

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »
I think 50% perlite is way too much perlite. Should be more like 5-10% imo. My miracle berries never did good in pots until I put them in some shade and gave them constant moisture.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 09:56:08 AM »
Mine are wet all the time and do fine.  They seem to hate the sun, though.  My personal experience is the opposite of Finca La Isla's... mine cook easily in direct sunlight and look great when in mostly shade.  I gave a seedling to a relative and they have it growing in a half-sunny window of their house and it looked better than the ones I had growing in full sun.  I moved all mine to mostly shade and they look much healthier now

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »
Interesting.  I know that they tolerate shade and I have some in the shade but my best one gets a lot of sun, is more bushy instead of lanky like the shade growing ones.  My sun is special I guess lol.  Mine is growing in clay which might make a difference.  I planted some for a friend in a converted, very wet pasture in full sun.  At 1’ they started producing!
Anyway, the question was about water and I am sure that they do unless you are talking about some winter induced dormant period.
Peter

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »
I make sure mine are well watered and in the shade.

Out of the shade here and the leaves turn yellow.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:11 PM »
Ok.
Wet or Moist? There is a difference.  ;D

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 07:38:33 PM »
Moist.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 08:47:49 PM »
I treat them like Jabo’s. Mostly peat in the mix, fertilize with holly tone, and they can handle a good amount of water. They won’t like all day sun but mine can take a few hours of direct mid-day sun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:49:25 PM by kapps »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk