Author Topic: ISO: Wani white mango (native to Bali)  (Read 898 times)

fruithunterxox

• San Luis Obispo, CA
    • View Profile
ISO: Wani white mango (native to Bali)
« on: May 15, 2023, 05:52:26 PM »
I know this is a big ask, but is anyone selling any white mango?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: ISO: Wani white mango (native to Bali)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 07:59:53 PM »
season wise i think have already passed.  you'll have to wait till next year or until someone offers a seedling.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
I've never seen a Want seedling offered here or anywhere else.
I think it's rare enough and hard enough to get out it should go to a safe climate where it can grow and fruit.
To my knowledge there are zero known fruiting tree's growing in a place where it is even semi easy to get seed from.
My best guess for who might have one fruiting anywhere in the americas would be Peter in costa.
I was surprised no one fruited it in Hawaii yet, unless they got a secret.
I really enjoyed Wani in Bali and would love to grow it too.
My friend lives there for years and can't get seed out.
It's not so good to get busted with it in your luggage leaving.

fruithunterxox

• San Luis Obispo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips! Is Peter a member on here?

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:47:58 AM »
I've never seen a Want seedling offered here or anywhere else.
I think it's rare enough and hard enough to get out it should go to a safe climate where it can grow and fruit.
To my knowledge there are zero known fruiting tree's growing in a place where it is even semi easy to get seed from.
My best guess for who might have one fruiting anywhere in the americas would be Peter in costa.
I was surprised no one fruited it in Hawaii yet, unless they got a secret.
I really enjoyed Wani in Bali and would love to grow it too.
My friend lives there for years and can't get seed out.
It's not so good to get busted with it in your luggage leaving.

in hawaii, snitches get stitches.   ha ha ha. jk.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 02:17:54 PM »
I know a couple people growing it but none fruiting. and your right , I would not reveal that info.

What I was trying tip toe around is: What are you gonna do with Wani in SLO but kill it and kiss your $ good bye ? I overstand that people do that day in and day out, it's their right, but rare seeds and seedlings that come around never should go to safe places first I believe. It's theoretical anyhow though, never seen a seedling for sale here or anywhere.  If a seedling did somehow come up for sale , it needs to go to somewhere where it can live and maybe fruit. Not sold to the highest or first bidder.
I have had people trying to convince me to grow Mango's in central CA for a long time, since the "Mango Professor" cold hardy mango debacle that I poo poo'd all along the way and turned out to be a total fraud ( he was sued by some CRFG chapters).  Steve in los osos had a manila fruiting in a high tunnel but ya know, not really.
North of Pt. conception along the coast is not warm enough, go inland and it's too cold. SF East Bay and some Delta area's are marginal because the large bodies of water and asphalt mitigate the cold and they are inland enough the fog doesn't swamp their growing season. I love Mango's.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 02:42:11 PM »
I know a couple people growing it but none fruiting. and your right , I would not reveal that info.

What I was trying tip toe around is: What are you gonna do with Wani in SLO but kill it and kiss your $ good bye ? I overstand that people do that day in and day out, it's their right, but rare seeds and seedlings that come around never should go to safe places first I believe. It's theoretical anyhow though, never seen a seedling for sale here or anywhere.  If a seedling did somehow come up for sale , it needs to go to somewhere where it can live and maybe fruit. Not sold to the highest or first bidder.
I have had people trying to convince me to grow Mango's in central CA for a long time, since the "Mango Professor" cold hardy mango debacle that I poo poo'd all along the way and turned out to be a total fraud ( he was sued by some CRFG chapters).  Steve in los osos had a manila fruiting in a high tunnel but ya know, not really.
North of Pt. conception along the coast is not warm enough, go inland and it's too cold. SF East Bay and some Delta area's are marginal because the large bodies of water and asphalt mitigate the cold and they are inland enough the fog doesn't swamp their growing season. I love Mango's.

Jeff Crawford was selling some on his ebay store a while back.  $150 a pop for 1-2footers. 

Mango professor...what was his name again?  Trucker or something, right?  That was a sh*tshow for sure. Ahh..memory lane.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 11:40:48 PM »
Tim Thompson in Ventura county.

Ughhck. 7 headz. Yeah. When you know they’re not grafted and it doesn’t matter..
I can’t go there though, that’s another chapter as well.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 04:45:52 PM »
Tim Thompson in Ventura county.

Ughhck. 7 headz. Yeah. When you know they’re not grafted and it doesn’t matter..
I can’t go there though, that’s another chapter as well.

No a different guy.  Youngish hapa guy unless he was using a pseudonym on fb.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 09:49:12 PM »
So who has a white mango seedling for sale then? 😒

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk