Author Topic: Pickering Issue?  (Read 15176 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pickering Issue?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »
I believe many people are influenced by the Pickering's trait tp be precocious.   It is not a bad mango but not a great tasting one either by any means.  If you do not let it reach avdead ripe stage before eating it is actually not that good at all.  It does not even come close to a properly ripened Edward (proper ripening is key to any mango) however I would also say that Edward is not the best in my book either...no disrespect meant DY.

Duncan-Young's Edwards are amazing- Im sure that Squam knows when to pick them!

Lets see.....Dupuis....LZ...Mulgoba......Ivory... don't get me started

I am only allowed so many mango trees to be planted ( per the husbnad-boss) and I may be replacing the Pickering with a Ivory, if I could find one

I wish that I could trade you my Ivory, (Tong Bi Con) tree for your Pickering. Last year was the trees first fruiting and I was not impressed with it. To me, the fruit tasted somewhat plain. This year the tree looks like it will have bear a large crop so I'm hoping that I enjoy it a lot more. The other thing, it's a very fast growing and large tree that needs to be pruned yearly to keep under control, similar to Valencia Pride maybe even larger.   

I agree with Tony, nothing spectacular with an Ivory though tastes are subjective(however they are available locally if you want to go with one).  There are far better varieties to seek out...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
I believe many people are influenced by the Pickering's trait tp be precocious.   It is not a bad mango but not a great tasting one either by any means.  If you do not let it reach avdead ripe stage before eating it is actually not that good at all.  It does not even come close to a properly ripened Edward (proper ripening is key to any mango) however I would also say that Edward is not the best in my book either...no disrespect meant DY.

I am only allowed so many mango trees to be planted ( per the husbnad-boss) and I may be replacing the Pickering with a Ivory, if I could find one

There is a difference when people are picking for their personal consumption or "individual" sales versus bulk sales (whether Alex, ZHPP, Excalibur, Truly T, etc.).  Personally, and as I stated to DY this is no disrespect to Alex, not all of what he picks would I deem picked at optimal time.  Will most ripen, yes, will they ripen to what they should be, no.  Some I have had were picked at a mature green stage that is too early for my liking (and others I have shared with).  I also don't see the Edwards I have had from Alex as being "amazing" but thats just me and not a knock on either Alex or the Sturrock family or anyone else for that matter. 
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »

There is a difference when people are picking for their personal consumption or "individual" sales versus bulk sales (whether Alex, ZHPP, Excalibur, Truly T, etc.).  Personally, and as I stated to DY this is no disrespect to Alex, not all of what he picks would I deem picked at optimal time.  Will most ripen, yes, will they ripen to what they should be, no.  Some I have had were picked at a mature green stage that is too early for my liking (and others I have shared with).  I also don't see the Edwards I have had from Alex as being "amazing" but thats just me and not a knock on either Alex or the Sturrock family or anyone else for that matter.

clearly different tastes all around and that's what make this interesting.... :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »

clearly different tastes all around and that's what make this interesting.... :)

Exactly...no right or wrong, just opinions/suggestions/comments that some may agree with and some may not.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Mangos I purchased from Alex have overall been good quality and ripe.  I suspect quality will vary from all farms from time to time.  I have seen other nurseries do far worse.  I visited a large nursery in Lake Worth, where they were selling a few mangos; it was early in the mango season and the inventory was barren.  Upon examining a mango at this Lake Worth nursery, I saw a 1/4" hole in the mango that was not visible until I turned it over.  I pointed out the hole in the mango to the woman who was working there.  She sighed and turned the mango over again, concealing the hole. 

I haven't seen Alex do stuff like intentionally concealing damaged fruit, but I have seen at least two other nurseries conceal damaged fruit.  One nursery went so far to claim a split Valencia Pride was actually a good thing to a true fruit connoisseur; I don't shop there anymore.  In comparison, I have seen Alex getting mad at himself when mangos fell during picking because he could only sell them as dropped, for half of the price. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
There you go with your rocks again, bored and lonely again?  Nobody is forcing you to visit this nursery you keep referencing.  They will survive just fine without your nickles, dimes and cheap shots.

in the future, when I want your opinion I will give it to you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:03:52 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
this is off topic guys .....  BUT all of the nurseries let you inspect, touch, smell and handle the fruit before you buy it-
so its all a moot point . 

why would anyone complain about a few bad fruit? they cant possibly inspect each and every fruit before putting it out and the buyer has his pick.

I have never received a poor quality fruit from anyone.  and I highly doubt that there is a bad fruit concealing conspiracy.

Exactly...no right or wrong, just opinions/suggestions/comments that some may agree with and some may not.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
and I highly doubt that there is a bad fruit concealing conspiracy.

We all get together on Thursdays and try to come up with ways to screw customers with bad fruit  ;).

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
hahaha :o
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
There you go with your rocks again, bored and lonely again?  Nobody is forcing you to visit this nursery you keep referencing.  They will survive just fine without your nickles, dimes and cheap shots.

in the future, when I want your opinion I will give it to you.

When I was at this well known Lake Worth nursery I took a few longans without paying. Richard's wife at the cashbox (I forget her name)  didn't mind because I had just spent over $100 on trees and a few bags of 8-3 -9

All the fruits looked good, there were Valencia Pride other mangoes and other fruits for sale
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:11:21 PM by zands »

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
Wait a minute, let me get this straight.  Are you gals and guys telling me that the fruit sitting out on local nursery and fruit stand tables (among the flies, birds, squirrels, and other critters) are not inspected by the proprietors and the USDA for imperfections prior to sale to the public?  That's just downright preposterous!

I propose that we the people, of the Tropical Fruit Forum, those that will eat around a half rotten fruit found on the ground swarmed with flies, demand that these injustices cease!  I propose that we demand that every fruit be scrutinized for the slightest imperfections and those fruit deemed to be less than flawless shall be discarded into a receptacle of which I will promptly dispose.   ::)  We have rights, dammit!  >:(

Furthermore, I propose that we demand that all 3 gallon fruit trees be sold actually bearing fruit, otherwise how the hell do we know what we are actually getting.  And, we ought to be entitled to a full refund on all of those fruit trees that don't bear fruit every year thereafter!

All in favor, say "Aye!"

All opposed, your voice shall not be heard!
JC

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Mangos I purchased from Alex have overall been good quality and ripe.  I suspect quality will vary from all farms from time to time.  I have seen other nurseries do far worse.  I visited a large nursery in Lake Worth, where they were selling a few mangos; it was early in the mango season and the inventory was barren.  Upon examining a mango at this Lake Worth nursery, I saw a 1/4" hole in the mango that was not visible until I turned it over.  I pointed out the hole in the mango to the woman who was working there.  She sighed and turned the mango over again, concealing the hole. 

I haven't seen Alex do stuff like intentionally concealing damaged fruit, but I have seen at least two other nurseries conceal damaged fruit.  One nursery went so far to claim a split Valencia Pride was actually a good thing to a true fruit connoisseur; I don't shop there anymore.  In comparison, I have seen Alex getting mad at himself when mangos fell during picking because he could only sell them as dropped, for half of the price.
So youre complaining about there being 'imperfect' mangos during the early part of the season? And why does a hole in a mango make the whole thing bad? I just ate peach off my tree that the birds started pecking at, it was delicious. Hole or no hole. If you are looking for perfect maybe you should top work everything over to pickering and in the meantime continuing buying your mangos at Publix. Otherwise, why keep badmouthing one establishment? It seems your posts are more for inciting ill will then resolving an issue.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »
just curious, but why is it considered bad when a mango tree grows very little / very slowly? Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I thought that dwarfism was a good trait for a mango tree.
Jeff  :-)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
just curious, but why is it considered bad when a mango tree grows very little / very slowly? Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I thought that dwarfism was a good trait for a mango tree.

for those of us with close quarter spaces....this is a golden gem!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
Wait a minute, let me get this straight.  Are you gals and guys telling me that the fruit sitting out on local nursery and fruit stand tables (among the flies, birds, squirrels, and other critters) are not inspected by the proprietors and the USDA for imperfections prior to sale to the public?  That's just downright preposterous!

I propose that we the people, of the Tropical Fruit Forum, those that will eat around a half rotten fruit found on the ground swarmed with flies, demand that these injustices cease!  I propose that we demand that every fruit be scrutinized for the slightest imperfections and those fruit deemed to be less than flawless shall be discarded into a receptacle of which I will promptly dispose.   ::)  We have rights, dammit!  >:(

Furthermore, I propose that we demand that all 3 gallon fruit trees be sold actually bearing fruit, otherwise how the hell do we know what we are actually getting.  And, we ought to be entitled to a full refund on all of those fruit trees that don't bear fruit every year thereafter!

All in favor, say "Aye!"

Yes this a soursop, and the part I ate was delicious, it might of been a couple days past ripe
I don't think I would of made that purchase.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:04:09 PM by strkpr00 »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
That looks like a close up of an over baked chocolate donut hole! (Totally on topic of course)

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:07 PM »
I remember that photo from your original post an I thought, that dude is hardcore!  Much respect!
 8)

All in favor, say "Aye!"

Yes this a soursop, and the part I ate was delicious, it might of been a couple days past ripe
I don't think I would of made that purchase.
JC

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
Well, we will see how he wakes up.

I don't think Pickering is a top mango anyway  :)

I'm not by any stretch a mango expert, I like em fine but if there was a table filled with sapodila, annonna, and mango, I'd leave the mango alone.

I'm no expert either but I've tasted many many mangos- sort of a blur after a while. I have my favorites and Pickering isn't one of them, for whatever reason....
And a Sapodilla over a perfect mango?   :)

A "Perfect" Mango? Describe please? :-) I guess I haven't had any perfect mangos.

And yes a chilled sapodilla or atemoya any day I'll take over a mango, any that I've tasted anyway. I can get a less-than-perfect mango almost any time in publix for less than a couple of bucks, common I can have is less desirable than the hard to get I guess.

Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »

If a tree grows zero in two years, can I expect more of the same in 2 more years? That's a good thing? Dunno.

Regards,

Gary

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »
If you get your mangoes at publix you have never tasted a good mango. That's why you think a sapodilla is better than a proper mango.

Well, we will see how he wakes up.

I don't think Pickering is a top mango anyway  :)

I'm not by any stretch a mango expert, I like em fine but if there was a table filled with sapodila, annonna, and mango, I'd leave the mango alone.

I'm no expert either but I've tasted many many mangos- sort of a blur after a while. I have my favorites and Pickering isn't one of them, for whatever reason....
And a Sapodilla over a perfect mango?   :)

A "Perfect" Mango? Describe please? :-) I guess I haven't had any perfect mangos.

And yes a chilled sapodilla or atemoya any day I'll take over a mango, any that I've tasted anyway. I can get a less-than-perfect mango almost any time in publix for less than a couple of bucks, common I can have is less desirable than the hard to get I guess.
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:28 PM »
yah, the mangoes from publix are worthy of the trash can. The difference between a publix mango and a top tier backyard mango is analogous to the difference between a yugo and a bentley. Once you have a well-ripened, top-notch mango, you'll start ripping out all of your trees and replacing them with mangoes (that's what I did).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Not a single flush in 2 years could be a sign that something is wrong (too much shade, fungal infection on roots, lack of nitrogen, etc). But, a single flush per season would be optimal for keeping a tree small. My pickering put out 2 growth flushes since I planted it 2 years ago (one flush per year), which I'm quite happy with. Vigorous growers are fun to watch in the first 2 to 4 years, but after that, it's a bit of a headache to prune every single year.

If a tree grows zero in two years, can I expect more of the same in 2 more years? That's a good thing? Dunno.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
I also have been to said Lake Worth nursery, Got a few trees some different fruits and talked to some very good people over there. Hell one of the fruits I ate (red lime) was picked right off the tree rubbed on a guys shirt handed to me and I ate it skin and all! DAMM WAS THAT GOOD! Mark, can't we all just get along! We are all here for the same reason......THE LOVE OF FRUITS! So stop bashing people and there business... Don;t like them shop elsewhere.... Easy as pie!.......
Joe

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
If you get your mangoes at publix you have never tasted a good mango. That's why you think a sapodilla is better than a proper mango.

I never said I get them at P just that I CAN get them any time. I have Julie, and Madame Francis no not top notch but not bad, and have tasted several "top notch" mangos at other folk's houses and don't think mango is a top notch to die for fruit. I know it's heresy
here but it is what it is.
Regards,

Gary