Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Citrangequat(but Meiwa)

(1/4) > >>

Enigmius:
I wonder why, when citrus horticulturists were crossing citranges with kumquats, they always use nagami.
For instance "Thomasville"  and "Telfair" citrangequats are both crises of Nagami kumquat and Willitis citrange.
Sinton citrangequat is a cross of a Rusk citrange and a nagami kumquat.
Where are the meiwa crosses though? Doe anyone know if Swingle ever tried those crosses and it just didn't work out, or was the meiwa not available at that time?

poncirsguy:
I did not realize that.  Marumi can survive 10F colder than ether Meiwa or Nagami.  why not that cross.

sc4001992:
I do notice that Nagami grows strong, has tons of fruits, but Meiwa is a slow grower, doesn't have a many fruits as Nagami so they probably used the strong variety.

vnomonee:
Nagami produces hybrids more readily than Meiwa (when used as a mother). Meiwa is something like 99% nucellar don't quote me on that. It would be a good idea to use meiwa as a pollen parent given that the fruit is sweeter! If my Morton citrange blooms this spring I'm going to try just that. Also thinking of using taitri but that has not bloomed for me yet.

tedburn:

--- Quote from: poncirsguy on January 30, 2023, 09:28:06 AM ---I did not realize that.  Marumi can survive 10F colder than ether Meiwa or Nagami.  why not that cross.

--- End quote ---

I always read that Marumi and Meiwa have about the same frosthardiness of about -12°C. Did you test the both in your ground comparable and recognized the differenze in frosthardiness ? I only have meiwa and fukushu, but not in ground yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version