Author Topic: Any info in these mango varieties  (Read 1759 times)

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
Any info in these mango varieties
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
The mango varieties I have here in Baja California Sur are known locally as Ataulfo, Mamey and Manzana. There is a Wiki page for Ataulfo so I know a little about them but I haven't found anything on the other 2 varieties although they seem very common around here. Does anyone know anything about these varieties or know where I may be able to get some information about them?
Here are photos of my current daily hauls....

The mangos in the box are the Ataulfos and have been producing for about a month now. The small squares on the tiles are about 3" across. I'm not even sure if they are true Ataulfos since they max out at around 6oz and seem a bit more fibrous than the Wikipedia article suggests.
The slightly elongated one on the left is a Mamey which are just now ripening. Not my favorite taste and somewhat fibrous. This one fell off the tree and is still a bit green.
The red, oval ones are the Manzanas. They just starting and are my favorite. The early ones are a bit small - around 10 oz but later ones are larger. Haven't weighed them in earlier years but I would guess 1 lb. They have barely any fiber. All the trees are quite large - probably 30' but quite slender - possibly due to the close planting.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any info in these mango varieties
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
Ataulfo mango is a Philippine variety and so it should not have any red tint color -- the ones in the box have red color and so I don't think they are.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
Re: Any info in these mango varieties
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Thanks to both of you for responding. Sapote, you may be right to question the "ataulfos", although in past years they were completely yellow. This has been the first year they have had a red blush. That accompanied a spectacular taste this year. Two other strikes against them as ataulfos are that they seem to have more fibers than I would expect from their description and I am now told that the stone is not as flat as an ataulfo would have.
Just for information, the ataulfo is widely described as a Mexican mango developed by Ataulfo Morales Gordillo and registered with the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property. It seems very closely related to the Indonesian manilla. This is an enthusiastic description and pretty much describes the taste of the ones I have.
I suspect I won't get much further with pinning down the variety and they could be quite old since I live near one of the first New World Spanish missions in an area that doesn't have a recent history of mango cultivation other than the missions.

Thanks JF for the pointer to the mamey too. This seems to reinforce my suspicion that what I thought were ataulfo mangos may be an older variety too. Do you have any references to the mameys? I hunted on the web but barely found confirmation that such a variety exists. Your information helped me greatly and I found a 1915 paper from the American Pomological Society describing the mamey. Also discovered it, and other fruits of Caney de Oriente were worth singing about. My mameys are the least tasty and most fibrous of the varieties I have here. Even so, they are well worth eating.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:17:21 PM by BajaJohn »