Author Topic: Canistel vs. Lucuma  (Read 8116 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Canistel vs. Lucuma
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
How similar in flavor and consistency is Eggfruit / Canistel (Pouteria campechiana) compared to Lucuma (Pouteria lucuma/Pouteria obovata)?
- Mark

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel vs. Lucuma
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
How similar in flavor and consistency is Eggfruit / Canistel (Pouteria campechiana) compared to Lucuma (Pouteria lucuma/Pouteria obovata)?

I not a fan of either but if I had to chose I say canistel. I'm experimenting with Trumpo and Bruce and they are both better than the lowland lucuma I've tried in SoCal. I mostly use the fruits in smoothies and also like it in sorbet

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Ross is the boss. Bruce is large but it is SUPER dry. I remember liking Fairchild 2 and picked up a tree to propagate, but I don't remember exactly what it was like. Most people around me have Trompo and that is the most common one at the nurseries here. The Ross sapote I have eaten a ton of fruit from was grafted and I think it was from the original Whitman tree, but I am not positive on that.  I had a different Ross that wasn't quite as good but still better than some of the named canistels I have tried. Still waiting to try Lucama but I keep hearing that is isn't as good as canistel. I did see it being sold in a powder form at Whole Foods as a "super food."

Sorry, I guess this post is off topic because I have never tried Lucama and I would like to know if anyone has fruited it in Florida. I have only seen a couple small seedling trees in person.
-Josh

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »
I'm one of those who is fond of both. Both have what is described as dry or pasty texture . The better canistels are like a baked sweet potato in both texture and flavor. Ross definitely is moister with a hint of a mace/nutmeg thing going for it. Lucuma are drier textured which put some people off. The flavor is different from canistel, more fuity with better ones. De Seda I think is better, moister and tastier. They never really color, just get a darker, scruffy green. The De Palo is much drier, didn't much care for it out of hand. When I was in Equador they mainly used them for ice cream. Very good. We have a local Peruvian restaurant that sells Lucuma ice cream, love the stuff. I'm getting a grafted De Seda from FFF in a week or two.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:08:58 AM by Birdman »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:49:44 AM »
Lucuma is more like pumpkin flavor, you should try it cooked in a dessert.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:02:38 AM by SoCal2warm »

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
I've only tasted lucuma once and the fruit was a little smashed, but in terms of size and consistency I would rather have a Ross sapote. I remember the lucuma being smaller, maybe slightly more moist, but flavor wise, I would go with a Ross!
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Ross is the boss. Bruce is large but it is SUPER dry. I remember liking Fairchild 2 and picked up a tree to propagate, but I don't remember exactly what it was like. Most people around me have Trompo and that is the most common one at the nurseries here. The Ross sapote I have eaten a ton of fruit from was grafted and I think it was from the original Whitman tree, but I am not positive on that.  I had a different Ross that wasn't quite as good but still better than some of the named canistels I have tried. Still waiting to try Lucama but I keep hearing that is isn't as good as canistel. I did see it being sold in a powder form at Whole Foods as a "super food."

Sorry, I guess this post is off topic because I have never tried Lucama and I would like to know if anyone has fruited it in Florida. I have only seen a couple small seedling trees in person.

Very true and accurate on the canistel description.   Ross and Fairchild 2 are the best of what is "commonly" available in Florida.
- Rob

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »

Very true and accurate on the canistel description.   Ross and Fairchild 2 are the best of what is "commonly" available in Florida.

Don't like Ross had that never tried Fairchild. I have a yucatan cultivar that's moist and has a custard bread pudding taste. I pass some scions to MarkLee hope they took and plan to top my canistels with that variety.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »
A bit off topic but how long does Ross Sapote usually take to ripen? My fruits set three months ago.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:36:33 PM »
I have just picked my last Ross yesterday. It gave me my first fruit in the beginning of Oct. This is it's first year bearing so normal fruiting time will change a little. I also have Fairchild #2 which is a baby at 2 ft.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »
OK but when did the fruit actually set (begin to grow out of the flowers)? For example surinam cherry ripens in about a month while sapodilla takes a year to ripen. My Ross set three months ago, meaning the tiny fruits began appearing out of the flowers back then, and I'm just curious how much longer it'll be until they're ripe.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
I have just picked my last Ross yesterday. It gave me my first fruit in the beginning of Oct. This is it's first year bearing so normal fruiting time will change a little. I also have Fairchild #2 which is a baby at 2 ft.

Where did you pickup the FC2?
- Marley

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:53 PM »
They have Fairchild 2 at Top Tropicals right now

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 11:26:48 PM »
I am sorry Fruitfreak and missed the post asking me where I got the FC2. I got it from Julian at Lara farms. His prices are good and is a great guy. I traveled a long way to get it and also picked up a Sweetheart Lychee which I trusted him to have the real one and not a Hak Ip, which I already have. It definitely grows differently than Hak ip, once you see them side by side in rows.