Author Topic: Just peachy.  (Read 4407 times)

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Just peachy.
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:16:09 AM »
Got this from ECHO nursery three years back. It had 3 small sweet peaches last year. This year looks better. Pretty blossoms too. Who has peach?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Just peachy.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
Two days ago I ate 2 Florida glow peaches. That tree has tons of flowers now, small fruit and more fruit already turning red.
What a warm winter. According to UF the fruit will not taste good because of improper chill hours. Actually the past 2 years the
trees have not come close to the 150 required chill hours. The fruit was perfect. White melting flesh better then any Georgia peach
I have ever had. Also the fruit matured on the tree without bugs. When the fruit matures later in Spring the stink bugs poke a whole
in the fruit and then the beetles ruin the fruit. I end up picking the fruit early and ripen on the counter. The fruit is much sweeter if
ripened on the tree. This year I was going to become rigorous about spraying the fruit with soap every week and see if I can keep the
bugs off

By the way jegpg1 looking at your picture the tree's trunk looks like the rootstock has two branches coming from below the graft?
I always thought that peaches were prone to root rot and I would be careful covering up the base of the trunk. There should only be one
main trunk and I see three? Are those two vertical branches below the graft union? I would clear out the base of the tree and cutoff the
2 branches. One of them doesn't look like it has flowers anyway? If the branches are above the graft you could wait until after the fruiting season.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »
What variety jegpg1.
Quentin

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Here's two pictures of my UF Sun peach tree I got from Pine Island Nursery 4 years ago.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
Two days ago I ate 2 Florida glow peaches. That tree has tons of flowers now, small fruit and more fruit already turning red.
What a warm winter. According to UF the fruit will not taste good because of improper chill hours. Actually the past 2 years the
trees have not come close to the 150 required chill hours. The fruit was perfect. White melting flesh better then any Georgia peach
I have ever had. Also the fruit matured on the tree without bugs. When the fruit matures later in Spring the stink bugs poke a whole
in the fruit and then the beetles ruin the fruit. I end up picking the fruit early and ripen on the counter. The fruit is much sweeter if
ripened on the tree. This year I was going to become rigorous about spraying the fruit with soap every week and see if I can keep the
bugs off

By the way jegpg1 looking at your picture the tree's trunk looks like the rootstock has two branches coming from below the graft?
I always thought that peaches were prone to root rot and I would be careful covering up the base of the trunk. There should only be one
main trunk and I see three? Are those two vertical branches below the graft union? I would clear out the base of the tree and cutoff the
2 branches. One of them doesn't look like it has flowers anyway? If the branches are above the graft you could wait until after the fruiting season.
My mother keeps burying the base with cut grass.  I have to check the base to see those branches you mentioned. The fruits of this tree were not too big last year. It was way too small to even bear fruits. The fruits taste like the canned peach in sweetness and they were the size of plum. The tree took off nicely this year. Hopefully, they get bigger this year.  My biggest nemesis are the squirrels. The fruits need to be wrapped soon.  As soon as the beautiful blooms are done. Thanks for the advice.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
What variety jegpg1.
I really don't remember the variety. I thought it will not do well in Florida and I just took it for granted. My mother planted it on the ground because I didn't care for it but when I tried the fruit, I wanted more. They peaches I used to buy in NY were no match.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
What variety jegpg1.
I really don't remember the variety. I thought it will not do well in Florida and I just took it for granted. My mother planted it on the ground because I didn't care for it but when I tried the fruit, I wanted more. They peaches I used to buy in NY were no match.

Well at least your enjoying them. Thats what matters.
Quentin

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
My peach tree has been in full bloom for a few weeks.  There are already maybe 100 little fruits set the size of almonds. 

Im always amazed how early they are ready.  Will just me 2 months or so from now.

Brad Spaugh

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
I have 20 + year old floridabelle that fruits well even though it never gets full chill just prune and strip leaves. Last year I thinned and had 50 lbs some over 12oz.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
Spaugh,  that's a pretty tree. They look decorative when in full bloom, then reward you with delicious fruits after. How's the fruit ?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »
Sweetest peaches you have ever tried.  I have no idea what kind of peach it is.  Im the 2nd owner.  But it comes super early and super sweet orange fuzzy typical looking peches.
Brad Spaugh

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
My Tropic Beauty has exploded more than once with blooms this year. I have peaches from 2" across to new buds erupting and opening every day.

My Tropic Sweet OTOH which is in ground 2 years longer (since 2011) than the Tropic Beauty and was bought as a much larger tree has given me barely any (1-2) fruit each year and this year it looks like more of the same. I may wind up using that wood in my smoker eventually :-(

Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:23 PM »
Got this from ECHO nursery three years back. It had 3 small sweet peaches last year. This year looks better. Pretty blossoms too. Who has peach?

Yeah, that tree really needs pruning. Cut away those suckers, and open up the inside a bit after the tree stops fruiting. There's a bunch of video on the web on how, where, and when to trim peach trees.

Regards,

Gary

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
I found the tag for my peach tree.  Its a florida prince.  It is absolutely covered in fruits now.  I went and heavily  thinned the fruits off today.   I think i should get a couple hundred big peaches.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
I found the tag for my peach tree.  Its a florida prince.  It is absolutely covered in fruits now.  I went and heavily  thinned the fruits off today.   I think i should get a couple hundred big peaches.
Yes, thinning is a must to have nice peaches.
John

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Our peach trees are in full bloom, but we'll most likely not get to eat any of the fruit even after putting up fencing and bird netting.  The ground squirrels, rats and Mockingbirds are relentless in their efforts to get at the fruit. 
For some unknown reason they never attack the papayas.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
I planted a Tropic Beauty in April 2016, a Florida Prince in January 2017 (this year), and a Tropic Snow in February 2017 (couple weeks ago). This is in the Lakeland Florida area. My Tropic Beauty was holding onto a quite a few leaves so I finally pruned the tree at the end of January and stripped it of its remaining leaves. A few weeks later which was just a few weeks ago the tree began slowly waking up and put on leaves and flowering. My Tropic Beauty is a good 2-4 weeks behind most peaches in my area. Order of pics: Beauty, Prince, Snow