Author Topic: Ficus opposita  (Read 900 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Ficus opposita
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »
Anyone with experience with this small fig from tropical Australia?

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Ficus opposita
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »
RiversOFT seems to be trying them out. He got seeds from the same source as me (I now have 5 small trees sharing a pot; germination was excellent, but I mismanaged them, thus the 5 survivors; My link).

Daley's also has an excellent selection apparently, but I would imagine it's vegetatively propagated, and I'm not sure they ship outside Australia. My biggest concern with this species is pollination: I've heard some wild figs setting hard, dry, inedible (and incidentally, infertile) fruit if not exposed to a pollinator. I don't know if this species is one of those (which would require a male present) or if it sets edible (if infertile) fruit just fine unpollinated. Even if you had both genders present, will it successfully pollinate in the absence of fig wasps? And if it needs them, would a fig wasp from domestic figs suffice, or does it require its Australian native type? Daley's selection is a female they claim to be self-pollinating, but I wonder... Is it really? Never mind botanical fertility (fertile seeds), does it truly set edible fruit in the absence of a male? And if it does, is that because it doesn't need pollination (which would mean you could grow and get fruit anywhere in the world) or because it's a hermaphrodite (which might require wasp-based self-pollination)? And that doesn't even take into account the possibility that it might be a self-sterile female that has access to males by being in the same territory.

My speculation: I think it likely that Daley's selection truly is self-fertile and capable of fruiting anywhere (like some domestic figs), but I might be wrong about that. As for a seed-grown individual, I've no idea; it may fruit without males and/or wasps, or it may require them; I'd say there's a 50/50 chance for that. The only way to find out is to get growing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk