Author Topic: G. Prainiana in full production  (Read 1291 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
G. Prainiana in full production
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
Cherapu is something I've been working on for a few years, there's not too many fruit trees that are slower growers than this.  We're still trying to decide if it's better to graft prainiana in the pot or, maybe grow them out and then top work the extra males.
Anyway, this is the second time this tree has produced and the first time it has really loaded up.  There can still be flowers appearing as the more mature fruits ripen.
I have my cherapu trees in what passes for full sun on my farm but at a friends farm in a drier part of CR the ones he has in partial shade are doing better than the full exposure planting.
The flowers are pollinated by our stingless melipona bees.  As you can see they are very efficient.  Hopefully, I'll be able to take a quantity to the farmers market in the coming weeks, see how they do.  We're doing nicely at the moment, eating this fruit.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: G. Prainiana in full production
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
Very nice.  A big "want" from many growers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
Mine are fruiting now also. Unfortunately the mangosteen caterpillar has found them. It seems to prefer them to the mangosteen. They chew up all the new flushes of growth. Need to do some BT applications.
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
Wow, beautiful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk